Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fibre on Demand - Openreach confirm 29th April for roll-out

This is a discussion on Fibre on Demand - Openreach confirm 29th April for roll-out within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; thinkbroadband :: Fibre on Demand - Openreach confirm 29th April for roll-out The trials of Fibre on Demand are almost ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Fibre on Demand - Openreach confirm 29th April for roll-out

thinkbroadband :: Fibre on Demand - Openreach confirm 29th April for roll-out
      The trials of Fibre on Demand are almost over, we now have a confirmed date of 29th April 2013 for when the service will become available under Early Market Deployment terms and conditions. For those businesses and Internet geeks who have been adding up the pennies from their change jars it is not the time to smash them just yet, this is just the product launching to the wholesale market, so it will take time for the retail providers to consider what they are doing.

"We can confirm that Openreach will start to make its FTTP on Demand product available on a wholesale basis to communications providers from the end of April.

As indicated previously, Openreach is slashing the monthly rental cost of its FTTP service – upon which FoD is based - from £60 per month to £38 per month, to make it more attractive to industry and their customers.

In addition to a fixed installation fee of £500, a distance based construction charge will also apply, reflecting the costs of building a fibre network direct to a customer’s premise. In line with what we’ve said previously, we estimate that more than half of premises will incur a distance based charge of between£200 and £1000. Premises that are further away from the relevant part of the fibre network will incur a higher charge due the extra engineering work involved.

It will be up to communications providers to decide whether to pass these charges on to consumers and businesses."

Openreach statement on Fibre on Demand (FoD)
      The more than half of premises actually equates to 55%, and for those who are further from the fibre aggregation point Openreach is estimating that the distance related charge will be in the range £1,400 to £3,500, though an unlucky few may be quoted more. Do not forget that there is the fixed £500 connection charge and VAT to add to this.

The service initially appears to be based around a 330 Mbps downstream and 30 Mbps upstream product, which from Openreach costs £38+VAT per month. So the monthly cost is going to be substantially more than the FTTC 80/20 products, current FTTP 330/30 products tend to carry a retail price tag in the £100 per month region. One important point of note is that areas with native Openreach GEA-FTTP coverage will not have these higher connection fees, the connection charges for GEA-FTTP will continue as previously (which are the retail level runs from free to £100).

The Fibre on Demand product will once it has fully launched be available to any property that is served by an Openreach FTTC cabinet, the early market conditions refer to the fact that initially the service will be available on a limited footprint, details to be announced closer to the launch date.

BT and its fibre roll-out is a big easy target for criticism, but with Fibre on Demand it has took the commercial risk to part build a FTTP network alongside the FTTC footprint, and it will be interesting to see what demand there is once the product launches. The big gotcha now is how creative the retail sector will be, the limited footprint of the pure FTTP products has to date meant there are limited retail options.

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Fibre on Demand - Openreach confirm 29th April for roll-out

Hmmm, very interested depending on the final and total cost!

I wonder how they would deliver the fibre cable?
      Telegraph pole or dig up the road and pavement?

I would need about 180 (ish) yards of cable to my house from the fibre cabinet.

dog-man

Thanks

Those costs are quite high. I would see it as something which would only be purchased by those who are better off than average with spare cash in the budget.

Whether Sky will launch a product soon, I don't know at this stage. They have been trialling FTTP for some time. It would be nice if they do, but it will need a different router to what they have currently.

One thing I have noticed is the low membership numbers on Sky Broadband in Devon and Cornwall. IMHO if Sky were to launch an FTTP based product it would change things for the better for them as many exchanges in Cornwall now have FTTP.

I am still disappointed with the speeds though. 330mb d/l is poor when you consider that some small providers are able to supply 1Gbit connections. As for the upload: yuk!. 30mb upload, when you can get 20mb u/l on the 80/20 FTTC connections. I appreciate that much of this requires the servers in the data centres to be upgraded too, not just the backhaul.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

For installation of a new line I believe Sky will accept BTOR's costs up to one thousand pounds. Above this they will refuse to install though whether they will apply the same cut off for FTTP I do not know.

Thanks

I can't see Sky footing the bill for FTTP to the tune of £500 at time.

Come to think of it, I can't see many ISPs footing this kind of a bill.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

I'd probably be more interested in this than say having the kitchen done.

Then again I still need to buy a house first and if you're spending hundreds of thousands on a house then a few K for a decent network connection is probably small change.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

I think the price point will be decided by what BT retail charge as other providers will wish to remain competitive. It would make sense for the installation charge passed on to the end user to be based on the contract length. Sky are already dangling the carrot of 6 months half price TV subscription in return for agreeing to an eighteen months contract which may be testing the water to see if a similar length contract would be acceptable to customers wanting FTTP.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I would sign up to this for 5 years if there was no installation cost!

dog-man

Thanks

The truth is that in time the copper wire that most of us rely on will become redundant.

There will be a time when Fibre Optics will replace the copper telephone cables and FTTP will be the norm for all new builds.

The FTTP Modem has a socket for the telephone. At the present time this isn't being used, but it will be in the future.