Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Scottish government told to "cheer up" over broadband funding

This is a discussion on Scottish government told to "cheer up" over broadband funding within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Is that Hadrian's Wall? In this case, yes...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Scottish government told to "cheer up" over broadband funding

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Is that Hadrian's Wall?
      In this case, yes

2. Advertisement
      dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

the grant works out at £18 per head for bb in scotland at the moment as opposed to the £150 per head for the olympics and the many london benefits and the 6billion for the victoria line etc
      nice article from 2007 [a few yrs ago but still relevant]
      It has always been a myth that Scots are subsidised by England, but it has never been more of a myth than today. As the Herald points out in an analysis based on the official PESA figures, spending per head in Scotland is actually lower in Scotland than in London - £9,631 against £9,748. The highest spending is found in Northern Ireland, at £10,271 - but let's not go there.

London taxes do not subsidise high Scottish spending and those who make this claim know they are not telling the truth. The hundreds of billions in oil revenues which have flowed south over the last three decades more than outweigh any fiscal advantage enjoyed by Scots.

But even taking oil out of the equation, the argument is a fallacy. The raw tax take from Scotland at £49bn is only marginally lower than total public spending of £49.2bn. In fact, there is a strong case that, to achieve parity of services, Scottish spending should be higher than it is right now relative to England. Scotland has a third of the land mass of the British mainland with less than a tenth of the population. This means that services are more costly to administer. Roads in areas with low population; schools on remote islands; hospitals in areas of multiple deprivation like Glasgow.

And what the Jock-baiters conveniently omit from the balance sheet are the colossal sums spent on infrastructure projects in London - £6bn for the Jubilee line, £9bn for the Olympics, £16bn for Crossrail - all of which are supposed to represent some tangible benefit for Scotland which somehow never makes it onto the balance sheet. Any economist will tell you that London and the south east benefit disproportionately from '"non-identifiable" spending on defence, civil administration and other functions, which makes a nonsense of any claim that the metropolis is hard done by

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Hi dtr44,

I am not going to research fully all the expenditure across the whole of the UK by various governments and local authorities, but I am aware of the issues over the North Sea Oil & Gas (hence a little joke about it in this thread).

It would be true to surmise that the North Sea Oil & Gas has helped the whole of the UK. I am also aware that the industry which is mostly based in Aberdeen, gains profitable contracts across the globe.

I am also aware of a great resentment, not just in Scotland, but also in other parts of the UK, including where I live, of the funds spent on London and not spread across the rest of the UK.

The last government also changed the funding so that more money was spent in the north than in the south.

I regard the issue over University fees as racist, something that I absolutely hate. The Scottish Parliament should be taken to court over their decision to force residents of Northern Ireland, England & Wales to pay £9,000 from next year, whilst everyone else across Europe gets free education.

I don't care what laws they have circumvented to allow them to proceed or why they are doing this. It is enforcing an unequal society. Before someone says 'what about the Scottish Students', please remember that most University students live away from home.

As for upgrading the London Underground, it should be remembered that London is the financial capital of the UK. The Underground is a major part of the transportation service in London.

I've forgotten how much money has been spent on the Tram system in Edinburgh to date. It has been way over budget and a lot of money wasted.

I am aware that Scotland has a population which is more spread out that Hampshire, for example. Perhaps it should also be remembered that the funds allocated to Scotland over the Internet are not the only funds and I doubt that they will be the last.

As for the South East having more money spent on it, perhaps it should also be remembered that it has also suffered greatly from cuts before the current problems and some parts have had the greatest growth in unemployment.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

hi scubbie my point is that we tend to laugh at scotland as always needing money [suckling from the breast of england] and tbh it wears very thin hearing the same old arguements and jokes time after time .your point about the edinburgh tram is correct and was always going to be overbudget, [as was victoria line etc ],in glasgow we had a new motorway built and opened in april 8 months ahead of schedule and 80 million underbudget [strange but true]the university fees is correct [education should be free however because england imposed the set fees "down there " then scotland realy didn't have an option for people in the uk [your universities would be empty and scottish over run ] we are still cheaper than the english universities [cause the weather is so bad we give a reduced rate] and finally Alba gu brąth

Thanks

I think that you are including me by default as laughing at Scotland, where actually this is not the case.

Trying to get back on topic, any infrastructure needs to be built. Annoyingly the UK Government set a target based on head count, not land mass.

However Scotland was the first to be completely converted to Digital TV. Where I am they plan to convert next year. London will be next, Northern Ireland will be the last.

The Scottish Government could have decided to spend the money they are spending on the Universities on the Scottish Broadband instead, like Northern Ireland did. You ought to complain to them.

Quote Originally Posted by dtr44 View Post
      ...and finally Alba gu brąth
      "There'll always be an England"

Thanks

sorry but i think that education will always be more important than broad band
      again my point has been missed ,For every year an English, Welsh or NI student studies in Scotland the Treasury take £6,500 from the Scottish budget. whereas in the rest of uk it costs £9000 paid for by the student not paid for by the government .Is it difficult to understand that the Scottish Government has prioritised Education and are spending THEIR BUDGET wisely (which it has to be remembered was cut by Westminster) They are not discriminating against the English, there are English people resident in Scotland who will qualify.. English people resident in Scotland do not pay; Scots now living outside Scotland do!

Thanks

...there are English people resident in Scotland who will qualify.. English people resident in Scotland do not pay; Scots now living outside Scotland do!
      You have to live in Scotland for 2 1/2 years to qualify as a 'Scottish resident'. If you move out for more than 3 years then you no longer qualify, even if your birth certificate says 'Born in Scotland'.

People living elsewhere in Europe do not have to live in Scotland for 2 1/2 years to qualify.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

And what the Jock-baiters conveniently omit from the balance sheet are the colossal sums spent on infrastructure projects in London - £6bn for the Jubilee line, £9bn for the Olympics, £16bn for Crossrail - all of which are supposed to represent some tangible benefit for Scotland which somehow never makes it onto the balance sheet. Any economist will tell you that London and the south east benefit disproportionately from '"non-identifiable" spending on defence, civil administration and other functions, which makes a nonsense of any claim that the metropolis is hard done by
      I'm not a jock baiter as you will know, however all this money we have spent on the infrastructure makes it a lot easier for you all to get back up there where you belong

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I regard the issue over University fees as racist, something that I absolutely hate. The Scottish Parliament should be taken to court over their decision to force residents of Northern Ireland, England & Wales to pay £9,000 from next year, whilst everyone else across Europe gets free education.

BBC News - Scotland's uni funding system faces legal challenge

Thanks

From my understanding over this issue, NI spent money on their BB. This helps local industry to compete with other industries across the globe if they are so inclined.

I also regard the Internet as a huge library, not just a video store or game machine access point. This means that someone is able to research more and study subjects that might otherwise be difficult to research.

Unis are a very important part of Human society. They are also responsible for a huge contribution towards the wealth of the nation.

Both access to the Internet and improved education will contribute to better jobs and better education.

However, if someone is given say £100. Whether that person chooses to spend it on a University or Broadband, once it is spent, it is spent. The Scottish Parliament choose to spend it on Education.

To then turn around and complain that they want another £100 to spend on the broadband is foul play IMHO. They had a choice and made it. Residents of Wales & NI have their respective Parliaments who can make similar choices.

Residents of England, under the current system, get no choice what-so-ever.

I also find it wrong that English MPs are not allowed to vote on matters discussed in the Welsh Assembly, the Scottish Parliament or the Northern Ireland Assembly, yet MPs of Wales, NI & Scotland are allowed to vote on matters specific to England.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast