Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poll: When do you think Instant On/Boot Computers will be available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Instant On/Boot Computers

This is a discussion on Instant On/Boot Computers within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian ...The size comes from using complied code and not programming in something like assembly language ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Instant On/Boot Computers

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      ...The size comes from using complied code and not programming in something like assembly language and optimising that code further.
      I would whole heartedly agree with you here. Too many people can't write programs.

For years all M$'s software was buggy because their actual compilers were full of bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      If we could go back to ROM based OS our PC's would fly like the clappers.
      This can be a good thing, but with the flexibility that people now demand of their computers, this would be a very hard task to manage.

It was bad enough when Atari & Coleco charged what was then a small fortune for the ROM cartridges. Just think how much more M$ would charge for a ROM with Office 2012 or how hard it would be for Open office to be available for the masses?

SSDs are IMHO likely to offer good speeds for the future, so long as they stay cheap.

The best hard drive out there struggles to top Sata II speeds, yet SSDs are available at Sata III speeds already.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

MS have already proved that it is doable.

The Xbox 360 runs Windows XP off a ROM and the next Xbox will have windows 7 at its core all on a ROM.

They still have firmware updates and there has been a major relaunch of the Xbox 360 look with a huge download of a new OS.

When IBM launched the concept of the modular computer there was a huge number of hardware manufacturers, anybody remember games that would have driver lists of hundreds of video and sound cards?

MS stepped in when it was getting that softwate manufacturers were unable to keep up and imposed DirectX. The software manufacturers programmed to DirectX standards and it will work on any Hardware as long as it they complied with those same standards.

Now due to buyouts etc we now have a tiny amount of hardware manufacturers now, it would not take a lot for one of the hardware manufacturers and MS to get together and make a new hardware standard that meant that the BIOS would be windows based.

All your software etc would still need to be installed on top as well as certain drivers such as graphics cards and sound cards but if a company such as Intel, AMD or Nvidea did it with MS it would be win/win.

Your PC would still be as upgradable as it is now, my old archimedes had tons of add ons and cards hanging off of it, MS would have windows preloaded on a PC and the US and EU governments couldn't do anything about it.

It is not that much different to when Intel invented the USB standard, now every motherbaord comes with USB ports.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My iPad already does this, as do (I believe) the newest MacBook Airs (the ones with SSD's in them)

The new iMacs also have to option to come with SSD (OS X resides on the SSD) and you just use the HDD for storing your own media/files etc.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Its an interesting point, I always thought computers today are a backwards step when it came to bootup time, I still fondly remember my old BBC micro's Bee-BEEP! startup routine, a couple of seconds and it was done. The Archimedes machines I had were only slightly slower. When I got my first PC I could have cried it took an age to boot, and boy was it unstable (Windows 98).

The old OS-on-an-Eprom weren't so liable to Viruses and/or corrupted OS files either unlike Microsoft's OS on the HDD.

Ok things have gotten better, Microdaft have improved their startup times (Windows 7 is the fastest yet) and I do have a reasonably quick SSD - read times of 225 mb/s - but it still takes a good 30 seconds to boot up. And that doesn't include the BIOS startup routines - that takes another 20 seconds.

Theres someway to get back to where we used to be. Microsoft never were the greatest OS creator out there, but they did have the best business model (and the clout of the US economy) behind them.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Going back to Asrock/Asus, they have an almost instant on feature which starts independent of the OS. It is based on a cut down Linux system which gives you a browser, manager, photo editor, VPN and Skype. It is ready to use in seconds and is called Splashtop or Express Gate. It is available on many Asus boards now, not just the top end.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

according to microsoft there doing windows 8 and there apparently adding a feature where windows boots in faster than what it normally does ie instint

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Going back to Asrock/Asus, they have an almost instant on feature which starts independent of the OS. It is based on a cut down Linux system which gives you a browser, manager, photo editor, VPN and Skype. It is ready to use in seconds and is called Splashtop or Express Gate. It is available on many Asus boards now, not just the top end.
      My Asus board has the Express gate feature. Tbh I've never tried it as mine boots quite quick off the SSD anyway.

Although it takes a little longer than an instint

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Tbh I've never tried it as mine boots quite quick off the SSD anyway.
      You should try it, it is useful if you just want to go on line quickly. The only thing that bothers me is that because it loads before your AV there may not be any protection, but as it is running in RAM, it might not be necessary. I will have to look into it sometime.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12