Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't set up wireless networking between Windows XP computers with Netgear router

This is a discussion on Can't set up wireless networking between Windows XP computers with Netgear router within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi I have Sky broadband and the Netgear 934G router, plus 1 PC and 2 laptops, all on XP. All ...

mikemunkie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leeds
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Can't set up wireless networking between Windows XP computers with Netgear router

Hi

I have Sky broadband and the Netgear 934G router, plus 1 PC and 2 laptops, all on XP. All connect wirelessly to the router and there are no problems getting online.
      What I'd like to do is set up a wireless network between the computers to share files etc. When I use the XP wireless network setup wizard, it makes a setup file on a USB drive and asks me to plug it into the router, but the router has no USB port, so I can't do that. I've tried setting up a manual network but that doesn't work either.

Can anyone help me out?

I've had a good look round the site and can't find any information on this, I thought it would be a common question.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Can't set up wireless networking between Windows XP computers with Netgear router

As this does not concern broadband, I have move this to a more appropriate Section.

When you make a network disk on XP you plug it into the other PCs you want on the network, not the router. I think you may be following instructions for Wireless Connect Now, which the Sky routers do not support. It is not really necessary as each PC can be set up individually.

To do this, on each individual machine open the Control Panel and double click the Network Setup Wizard. Follow the Wizard and make sure every PC is uniquely named, but has exactly the same Workgroup name. You can create a network setup disk on the first PC if you want, but it is just as easy to do each individually.

When you have done this each PC will be able to see the others on your network. For more information on File Sharing have a look at this article -
      Windows XP Simple File Sharing

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mikemunkie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leeds
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Can't set up wireless networking between Windows XP computers with Netgear router

That doesn't seem to work either. Anyone else got any pointers?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Here is another tutorial which shows how to connect an XP PC to a network.
      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/homenet.mspx

If you are still unsuccessful, please post the error message you are getting when you try to connect to another PC.

It sometimes happens that the Windows built in Firewall blocks the connection between PC on a LAN. Make sure that LAN traffic is allowed on the Windows Firewall, Exceptions tab. Also make sure that if you are running 3rd party firewalls these are set to allow LAN traffic.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.