Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility With Sky Live Score Centre

This is a discussion on Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility With Sky Live Score Centre within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; With Windows Vista ( SP2 and all updates) and IE8 , is anybody else having problems accessing and viewing the ...

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility With Sky Live Score Centre

With Windows Vista ( SP2 and all updates) and IE8 , is anybody else having problems accessing and viewing the Sky Sports Live Score Centre? The page renders OK, then Windows promptly shuts it down, citing a problem with Flash Player ( Version 10 ). Let me say that it was OK before SP2 was applied to my new machine a couple of days ago.

I have no problems whatsoever with any other website that requires Flash, and have checked out my Flash 10's functionality at Adobe.

Security and Privacy settings are default, and I have set the webpage to open in Compatibility View. No joy

It's not the end of the world, I know, but if anyone else has experienced this, I'd be delighted to know it's not just me!
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility With Sky Live Score Centre

It's working OK with a fully patched Windows 7 configuration.

Thanks

Thanks. As the problem is specific to Sky Sports Live Score Centre, I've fired off an email to the webmaster.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is working OK with me, IE8 and FF with Vista sp2. Haven't tried Win 7 yet.

OpenDNS servers

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Finally got to the bottom of it after much delving around Microsoft Vista Forum. The problem was that User Account Control ( UAC ) was ON. Don't ask me why it caused a problem, but a poster on MS Forum reported that turning OFF the UAC enabled Adobe Flash 10 to operate unhindered on all websites requiring Flash. The Sky Sports Live Score Centre now works as ordered.

Another small detail. I had downloaded FlashGet ( download Accelerator ) yesterday - didn't work too well but I thought nothing of it. But when I turned OFF the UAC a few minutes ago and rebooted, I was prompted immediately on startup with the FlashGet uninstaller. I uninstalled it, and all is working as it should.

The wonders of IE8?? Let's hope there are no more little surprises in store for me, otherwise it'll be rollback time to IE7. I'm the only user on the computer, so I'm not too bothered about UAC being OFF.

Thanks

I have mine on and it makes no difference, are you using Home or a better version?

I'm the only user on the computer, so I'm not too bothered about UAC being OFF.
      This account control is not so much for other users on the machine, but programs which may try to install or run without your knowledge, such as those which can be carried by a trojan. If you are otherwise well protected and don't go poking about in the seedier side of the web, you should be OK with it off.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have mine on and it makes no difference, are you using Home or a better version?
      It's Home Premium on a new Dell. Adequate for my needs

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This account control is not so much for other users on the machine, but programs which may try to install or run without your knowledge, such as those which can be carried by a trojan. If you are otherwise well protected and don't go poking about in the seedier side of the web, you should be OK with it off.
      Thanks, plenty of protection here, so no probs. I 've just re-enabled UAC to see if the problem was still there, but it HAS definitely gone now. Adobe Flash 10 is fine on all sites now. It must have been FlashGet download manager ( or the way I had configured it ) that was causing the problem. It was curious how I was prompted to uninstall FlashGet immediately after rebooting when I initially turned off UAC.

We learn by our own mistakes. Thanks all for the assistance.

Thanks

It's Home Premium on a new Dell. Adequate for my needs
      I just asked as some of the more exotic versions have higher security settings. I think you are right about Flashget, there seems to be quite a few add-ons that IE8 does not like.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Am now using Free Download Manager Version 3 Build 848, and no problems

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Incompatibility is a problem with IE8 and will remain so until it becomes the de facto Microsoft browser. It's not compatible with my bank's Home Banking service either so I'm still using IE7 (the only thing I use it for, for everything else I use Firefox)