Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

home network Vista vs XP

This is a discussion on home network Vista vs XP within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; HI I've bought myself a new Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Premium, I've setup a network with my desktop running ...

rominho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question home network Vista vs XP

HI I've bought myself a new Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Premium, I've setup a network with my desktop running XP.
      Never done that before so I just played along with both computers and got most of it working properly.

I have full access from the laptop to the desktop files, besides the default "shared folders" I also made available (well, tried to make) the "my Documents" folder on each computer but I can't access the laptop's "my documents" from the desktop.

I will find the laptop on the network and am able to get into it (I turned off all sharing restrictions on the laptop), there I will find 2 files one called "Public" shich I can go in and the other will be the "my documents" folder which gives me an error message when I try to get into it (... is not accessible, you might not have permission ...)

I have made sure that the folder on the laptop allows sharing (allowing everyone in the network) but still I can't access it from the desktop.

Can anyone help?

(I hope my description wasn't too confusing)

2. Advertisement
      Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: home network Vista vs XP

Ok few things to check.

In Vista. Firstly. Right click the My Documents. And go to Share. Then in the drop down box. Click Everyone. Then Ok. Wait for it to complete. Then right click your network icon on the taskbar in the bottom right. Go to network and sharing center and double check all of the settings are set correctly. I'm using Windows Seven so am unable to give you an EXACT answer as it's been so long since i've used vista. But that's the general gist and should have it working.

As you can see and connect to the Public it's not Firewall or Network based. But likely to be either folder sharing permissions or a simple setting that needs changing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sharing in Vista is a bit different from XP. If you want to share a folder try this –

• Right click on the folder you want to share and click Properties
      • Click the Sharing tab then the Advanced Sharing button.
      • On the next pane, check the ‘Share this folder’ box.
      • Put a Share name in the box and click the permissions tab
      • If you have several accounts on the PC you can choose which one can do what or simply choose ‘Everyone’ and tick the Permissions boxes for what you want to allow.
      • Don’t forget to click the Apply button on each pane.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok ... still no success.

I've got some pictures to be more specific.

This is what I see when I open the network folder on the laptop. (gosialaptop is obviously the laptop, and romulo is the pc)

Going inside the laptop folder this what I can see (from both laptop or pc). The Rios Family folder is the one that I can't open from the pc.

So as instructed I went to the Rios Family folder, into properties/sharing tab/advanced sharing/perditions button ... and that's how everything is.

It look all right to me, but still I can't open the damn folder from the pc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks OK to me too. Can you check that both machines have the same Workgroup name? I doubt if this is the cause or I don't think you would see them at all. What can you see when you open the Public folder? You may have to move the folder you want to open into the Public folder in Vista.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks OK to me too. Can you check that both machines have the same Workgroup name? I doubt if this is the cause or I don't think you would see them at all. What can you see when you open the Public folder? You may have to move the folder you want to open into the Public folder in Vista.
      Yes, the same workgroup for both machines.

I wonder if I could/should add some kind of special permission for the pc on the "share permissions" thingy.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Finally soled the problem ... for those who might have similar problem.

To make it work I had to "share" each subfolder inside the "my documents" folder (My Videos/My music/My photos etc), as soon as I did that all worked.