Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

External Hdd

This is a discussion on External Hdd within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Hey, Can someone help. I got a problem the usb port on my external hdd has broken so when i ...

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

External Hdd

Hey,

Can someone help. I got a problem the usb port on my external hdd has broken so when i plug a usb into it the computer won't recognise it, so i have bought a new one but i really want the files from there and its outside warrenty so i think the best thing for me to do would be take the case off get the hdd and also get a hdd bay and connect it to my computer that way. But theres a problem with that the screws at the bottom are seagate special screws and only seagate employees carry the key that unscrews them so i think i will have to break the case as carefully as i can and get the hdd that way.

Does anyone know if this will work? and does anyone know where i can buy a hdd bay i have looked but i can't find any uk sites that sell them :smileysad: And also if you have a better soloution to my problem please reply :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks in advance

Kurby

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: External Hdd

I would imagine that the drive inside is an ide drive with a bt of electronics to convert to usb. If so you could carefully drill out the screws, extract the ide drive and insert it into a new casing. There are plenty of cheap ones on ebay etc.
      ide drive external case, Drives Storage, Laptop Accessories, Computing items at low prices on eBay.co.uk
      I picked one up cheaper from local pc shop.

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Didn't Seagate start selling 5gb Flash USB drives a few years ago, could be one of those in which case I doubt you'll retreive anything.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

blade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well you could always buy a new one and set the old one up as a slave meaning anything on it can be found and backed up onto the new one thats if it still works whats the damage to it.

Or whats it not doing that it meant to or havening problems with i thought one i had i killed till i placed it onto salve and with a bit of tlc managed to get it to work on it after messing around with many programs boot sector was messed up and a lot of other things but still managed to pull what i wanted off it onto a new hdd.

And saying that external just take it apart and in the casing there should be a hdd with a plate on it converting it from ide to usb. If its got a jumper on it set it to slave if you can and thats if there is one on it cos one i go i got the external case and got an internal hdd and made my own external hdd up with the kit for like half the price of a external hdd you pay for in the shop
      Last edited by blade; 29-03-08 at 12:47 AM.