Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

partition lost...

This is a discussion on partition lost... within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I have some problems...I cann't find my partition...I wonder if I need a programme for it......

Cristina is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

partition lost...

I have some problems...I cann't find my partition...I wonder if I need a programme for it...

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: partition lost...

Probably you need to describe the symptoms more fully before anyone can advise sensibly.

Does the computer work and Windows start up ?

Cristina is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying!!!
      My pc suddenly cracked down and when I reboot the pc I cann't find my d partition where I store the programmes...

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

From what you say it sounds like before the computer crashed you had programmes running from Drive D:

Windows itself usually runs from drive C: and most programs install themselves to C: unless told not to by the user.

Drive D: is usually the CD/DVD drive. I know this sounds simplistic, but is it possible you were using data from a CD and that this has been removed or the drive has failed ?

Sometimes a large hard drive is partitioned into two (C: and D and the CD/DVD drive then becomes E:

If Windows can be made to run, put a disc in the CD/DVD drive and check whether that drive has become D: which may suggest that the partition formerly at D: has failed. This is fairly unusual.

It is possible that when the computer crashed it affected the computer motherboard's BIOS settings. A clue to that is if the date has changed in Windows.

If you feel confident, you can usually open the BIOS interface by pressing the Delete key on you keyboard repeatedly as the computer starts. Better left to an expert, though.

There are programs such as Partition Manager which may be able to recover a lost partition, but you'd need to find out more before buying it (check reviews online or talk to a decent computer store).

It is worth running through the options I've described, because a computer repair place will charge you at least 50 labour for fixing it.