Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Vista or XP

This is a discussion on Vista or XP within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; With MS continuing support for XP until 2014 and "Vienna" due to be released in 2009 why would anyone want ...

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Vista or XP

With MS continuing support for XP until 2014 and "Vienna" due to be released in 2009 why would anyone want to waste their hard earned on Vista (i also read you cannot upgrade to Vienna from Vista but can from XP)

Now that Microsoft has freed Windows Vista from the shackles of a five year development process, the company is attempting to the wow us by revealing that it plans to have its next major operating system ready within the next two-and-a-half years, giving Vista's successor an expected release date of late 2009.

Speaking to PC World, Ben Fathi, the executive in charge of the OS's core components, made it clear that he was referring to a whole new OS -- known to have the codename "Vienna" -- and not the upcoming Vista service pack, codenamed "Fiji." Other than this tentative release date, Ben didn't have much new information on the future for Windows: in response to the question of what Vienna's killer feature will be, he said "I don't know what it is" and then proceeded to suggest that full virtualization and a radical new user interface will be the aim.

Both of these suggestions lend credence to previous reports that a break in compatiblity with older applications and a new user interface would be Vienna's flagship features. Now all we've got to do is wait (and hope that the changes aren't too radical.)

Posted Feb 10th 2007 9:15PM by Conrad Quilty-Harper

Filed under: Misc. Gadgets

Wonder if it will be called MS X by then

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Vista or XP

I'm staying with xp for the time being. Problem being I would have to upgrade just about everything on my current setup. That, and the cost of getting vista, is too much for me at the moment. Think I'll save my pennies for now.

I remember when i first got xp, I spent about a year installing security patches and fixes
      Any of the same old problems reported with Vista yet?
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

yodasarmpit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Vista or XP

I'll be staying with XP Pro untill my next rebuild, only then will I make the move to Vista, and by then SP1 will be out.

We will then have proper DX10 graphics cards to take full advantage of Vista anyway.