Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Taken the plunge ...moving from ntl to sky ... here's hoping ..

This is a discussion on Taken the plunge ...moving from ntl to sky ... here's hoping .. within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; ... for a smooth journey! I have just ordered sky broadband online, given the MAC code and included sky talk. ...

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Taken the plunge ...moving from ntl to sky ... here's hoping ..

... for a smooth journey!

I have just ordered sky broadband online, given the MAC code and included sky talk. I am a bit nervous ... I have never moved my broadband before Just received an email confirmation for the order
      Your order is being processed and you will receive your sales confirmation letters within the next few days.
      Oh my, I am feeling rather nervous about it - just hope nothing goes wrong! Well it's done ... no turning back now I have been thinking about it for weeks but today ... well, it is St David's Day - don't know what that's got to do with it mind but hey ho.

Well if I have no complications with sky broadband things should be a lot quicker - currently on 2mb with ntl freedom and ordered MID package. I have checked exchange in Llantrisant and it is sky enabled.

Wish me luck!

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Taken the plunge ...moving from ntl to sky ... here's hoping ..

While I was upgrading my sky package to bb and sky talk I also upgraded my tv - was on 2mix for 15, now on 6mix for 21, in less than half an hour the extra channels are in place! I upgraded because even by paying more for tv I am still saving - between sky tv at 15 a month and paying 24.99 for ntl freedom bb and talk - total 39.99 a month. Now will be baying for all three for 26 a month - saving 13.99 a month! Even if I upgrade to sky talk unlimited (which I probably will) I am still 8.99 a month better off.

Just hope it doesn't go pear shaped

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fingers crossed. Hope it all goes well for you
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Exchange:
      Thanks

THanks Lazarus, I will be crossing everything! No doubt I shall be back here once everything arrives ... not knowing what to do and asking for advice.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just keep us updated and if you do have any problems or questions then someone will be around to help that I am sure.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Alan, I think I am more nervous because I live alone, hardly leave the house (because of my health) and the internet is, for me, a lifeline I suppose ... perhaps that is a bit strong ... but I would be lost without it. Anyway, since I have been browsing through this website I can see that people here are extremely helpful. Oh, and I have never had a router, just a modem so that will be new!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here is an update of my move since upgrading sky on 1st March and ordering sky broadband. This morning I received a letter from sky about changes to my sky package and the amount I will be paying every month - nothing about my sky broadband package or a connection date! Anyway I logged on to BT account and checked order, and it stated that change was in progress with connect date expected 12th March.

I had noticed when checking my bank account this morning that 20 had been debited - the one off charge for sky broadband, and so I thought the router must be on its way soon I have just taken delivery of the sky router!! I shall have to look at the technical forum before attempting anything!

What next? I suppose I shall have to wait until the 12th and see, and probably have fun connecting the router

So far though, heard nothing from sky about a date - I suppose they don't bother! I just hope everything goes smoothly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, I received a letter from sky today with 'Not Long Now' printed in bold letters. It says .. 'BT have informed us that they are estimating that your line should be active be 12/03/2007, however due to a huge response for sky Broadband, we recommend that you allow an additional 3 working days from this date for the work to be completed'
      Well, here's hoping everything goes smoothly! I hope I don't have problems setting it up!

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still have my fingers crossed for you.

To echo Alan b's previous post: if you have any trouble please post again and I'm sure someone will try to help out.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for that Lazarus, it means a lot having someone there if things get a bit sticky for me as I am really not confident about it! I shall have to wait now until Monday at least to see.

If I am correct ... on Monday (or whichever day) I am unable to connect to my current broadband connection, this is when I know that I will be connected to sky? At this point I shall have to connect the router (which will be fun) and hopefully manage to get online!

I hope that is the way to do it, the only thing that worries me is that if I am unable to connect it properly I will have no internet connection even to come and ask anyone here for help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast