Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router sales blocked

This is a discussion on Router sales blocked within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Don't know if anyone else has noticed but all the Sky routers that were for sale on eBay have disappeared. ...

dpearce33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router sales blocked

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but all the Sky routers that were for sale on eBay have disappeared. Also all the guys selling the info for unlocking the routers have had their listings removed. Surely this is restrictive practise by Sky? I understand that using an unlocked router is against the T&Cs but if you don't intend to use the router on Sky what's the problem?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Router sales blocked

It has to be with Copyright, and the Sky logo / information.

Theres a thread elsewhere where differing views were put forward.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by dpearce33 View Post
      Don't know if anyone else has noticed but all the Sky routers that were for sale on eBay have disappeared. Also all the guys selling the info for unlocking the routers have had their listings removed. Surely this is restrictive practise by Sky? I understand that using an unlocked router is against the T&Cs but if you don't intend to use the router on Sky what's the problem?
      I can see many potential issues with this....the first and most obvious really is, in short, you are selling your username and password to a stranger.. I.e even if you do flash it to the standard firmware, what is to stop anyone putting skys firmware back on it, extracting your login and password details and using them in their own kit? or selling them on, potentially knowing that any abuse issues etc would likely be tied to an IP, sky would probably have logs matching that IP to the MAC they are using, and guess who's account that MAC would tie... thats right... yours.
      Extreme worse case scenario, you get pulled out of bed with guns to your head at 4AM in the morning and locked away for a week treated as a terror suspect, because someone been using your details to communicate with others to do some nasty terrorist stuff, ok it's unlikely, but taking it to extremes, its possible.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You know what - I didn't even think of that theory - its certainly feasible and a reasonable one.

Although the guns to the head is a bit extreme, you could be accused of absolutely anything.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      You know what - I didn't even think of that theory - its certainly feasible and a reasonable one.

Although the guns to the head is a bit extreme, you could be accused of absolutely anything.
      Yup, thats the point i was trying to make its like, so you've taken the login details from the router, you don't think you need it anymore and you can make a few bucks? but anyone you sell it to would be able to get the same details from the router you sold, whether you have flashed it to retail firmware or not...(you think because you've done it and can make a few bucks from it, the person you sell it to isn't going to have even more devious plans?)
      The potential for ANY online abuse is enormous and the fallback would come to you, sure deeper investigation could prove otherwise, but you could find yourself in court before that happens (or woken up at 4AM with a gun in your ear )

13thHouR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its classed as reversed engineering, which is illegal in the UK. Hence Ebay will pull any such items.

In contradiction SKY's firmware does violate the GNU Public licence ( Netgear routers use open source code). You are not allowed to lock away Open source code in a commercial product. It must be openly accessible. So they are on quite shaky ground.

SKY can get around this by publishing the modified source code (which would make it pointless locking the Telnet in the first place), however the original code publishers can remove their rights to use their part of the code at any time.

"woken up at 4AM with a gun in your ear" yep know all about that one except it was 9 pm and two bullets from 33 through my window at me. It was 'not' SKY, I just stepped in the Governments toes a little bit too much.
      Last edited by 13thHouR; 06-02-07 at 03:34 PM.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Sky must have had words with eBay, normally eBay doesn't give a monkeys whats sold on their site as simply put they don't police it, illegal or not. It's up to third parties to complain to try and get eBay to remove sensitive material.

dpearce33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the interesting points re. security and I am sure that they are all very valid. However my point is that, assuming you are aware of the risks involved, what right has Sky and eBay got to stop someone selling what is essentially their own property especially if the contract has expired. I haven't seen anything in the T&Cs that says I have to return my router at the end of the contract. Surely this is a restrictive practise.

Member5066 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

"woken up at 4AM with a gun in your ear" yep know all about that one except it was 9 pm and two bullets from 33 through my window at me. It was 'not' SKY, I just stepped in the Governments toes a little bit too much."

This is the funnest thing I have read on here I can see it now the evil baddie is just about to take over the world with one last click of his mouse and bring us all to our knees begging for mercy when... THE ROUTER NEEDS REBOOTING AGAIN! the one off e bay - the baddie gives up and gets a job in tech support at.......... you guessed it SKY
      Last edited by Member5066; 03-03-07 at 09:56 PM.