Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Not Fit For Purpose

This is a discussion on Not Fit For Purpose within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Well having read lots of posts on various boards it now "appears" that lines are getting set up in G.DMT ...

BB_User_2002 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not Fit For Purpose

Well having read lots of posts on various boards it now "appears" that lines are getting set up in G.DMT mode ie 8 meg max if some checker declares the line fit for 8 meg or below despite people complaining that during low snr periods they can achieve more.

The point is if I am paying for a product "UP TO 16Mbps " then it should surly be in adsl2+ mode by default after all adsl2+ will run at 5mbps as it will 16Mbps the speed the line can take in no way justifies capping speeds using this mode method and as such is selling a product Not Fit For Purpose is it not.

I would be very keen on hearing comments against this belief.

Ironically ADSL2+ major benefit was to those with longer lines so another supporting argument it should be in default adsl2+ mode

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Not Fit For Purpose

I know Wheelie has asked for an explanation on why so many people have been put on GDMT at connection and we were told that they would get back to us.

Unfortunately Ray has been not too well recently and so do not know whether this info has been forthcoming.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maybe BBC watchdog could ask the SKY CEO directly why?

Should go down well in the run up to the launch of Virgin Media and there soon to be 20mbps products
      Last edited by BB_User_2002; 25-01-07 at 12:57 AM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Someone else PM'ed me tonight about Watchdog.

I would like to clarify a couple of things, we set this site up to help people on Sky. We are not affiliated with them, they do not pay us to rent space on here and we have always made it clear they are ok to post on here to help users.

We are primarily a help site, although we welcome constructive and genuine criticism.

If you think getting a bunch of people to highlight issues in one place and try to get something done, then we are OK with that. If Watchdog pick up on it and get a result, then by doing so we have still achieved our aims of this site.

Feel free to document everything, get names etc, SkyUser is here to help.

I would give Sky their dues, they have taken eveything that has been said on here, good and bad on the chin. And have never interfered with the running of this site, ie asked us to hide anything. There was one instance whereby they asked us to remove some commercially sensitive data, which we did.

Sky do not own us, they do not bully us and am absolutely positive they appreciate such a wide range of feedback.

We are not here to tell you what to say, say what you want as long as it is within OUR rules and not Sky's.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info, I had no intension of starting a campaign and would think it very arrogant of anyone using any site to start anything similar without the sites permission.

As I said I was asking for peoples views on why it couldn't be described as not fit for purpose, IE the mystery of G.DMT and its apparent use in 8 meg PLUS connections if any really exist as posted by some.

There is a minority that believe it is possible to get 8 meg plus with this mode as its not being used to describe the mode correctly poor terminology rather than ADSL1 and the speed limits are because of bandwidth capping and not that of the mode itself ???

The finite answer would be detailed line stats showing in excess of 8096mbps sync with G.DMT in use from a reliable source
      Last edited by BB_User_2002; 25-01-07 at 01:18 AM.