Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

54mbs or 108mbs

This is a discussion on 54mbs or 108mbs within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; With my laptop having a 54Mbps adapter (and using my low gain antenna) I got a speed of 12Mbps between ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: wireless connection 54mbps not 125?

With my laptop having a 54Mbps adapter (and using my low gain antenna) I got a speed of 12Mbps between laptop and PC.

With both laptop and desktop having a 108Mbps adapter (and using my low gain antenna) I got a speed of 16Mbps between laptop and PC(top speed I got was 20Mbps).

Will see what difference the high gain antenna makes when I get it.

BTW - the only reason I'm doing this as I want to be able to hook up my laptop to my hifi/tv and access my media collection on my desktop.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Just tested transfering a 817438KB file across the network and it transfered in 570secs so 11.2Mbps.

As I say, will try again with a high gain antenna.

When I was using my old linksys 54Mb router (windows reported connectsion at 24Mb), i used to get 6Mbps network transfer rate.

Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

LMAO @ Saturday
      Last edited by Disillusioned; 07-01-07 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Correcting emoticon
      ~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~

The Craig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Giffnock
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

KMS knows all saturday..
      No comment on the presumption. :P

didn't know this had been moved, i thought all of the posts had just been deleted.
      Sky Broadband Opinion? -- Excellent.
      Sky Broadband Uptime? -- Flawless.
      Sky Broadband Speed? -- Perfect.

Sky Broadband.. It rocks the socks.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The only realway to test the 180mb or 54mb is to do a quick filesharing test on the network!
      That will usually max out the connection, Providing the other computers duplex settings are correct!

Exchange:
      Thanks

hence me testing transfering a 817438KB file. I think in the main thread my post suggests the use of a little util called QCHECK from IXIA (Qcheck - Network Performance Measurement :: Solutions :: Ixia - Leader in IP Performance Testing) which has tools to test the true network performance.

It is quite amazing how the theoretical reported network speed of 108mbps is actually degraded down to 20mbps max (with my low gain antenna). I'm not able to test but, I wonder what the 'real' speeds are in both PCs are connected via cable to the router.

PS - can you elaborate on how to check the duplex settings?
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 07-01-07 at 12:21 PM. Reason: request for info in duplex settings

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Re: 54mbs or 108mbs

In case anyone reading this is confused by one person's rather strange claims and opinions asserted here, the following is a brief overview (i.e. the facts) of wireless and ethernet capabilities as they pertain to the Sky router:

Any router manufactured by a reputable company will adhere to certain internationally agreed standards.

Wireless networking

The standards for wireless networking have been developed by the IEEE. The Sky router is compliant with IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.11g which gives speeds of up to 11Mbps and 54Mbps respectively in the 2.4GHz band. There is no standard and therefore the Sky router does not "transmit 56kbps maximum wireless" or "56mbps".

In common with other router manufacturers, Netgear has developed or licensed methods to increase the potential wireless speeds. Netgear, in this router uses a method, often referred to as Super G. This method, developed by Atheros, uses frame-bursting, compression and channel bonding - the channel bonding being two 54Mbit/s 802.11g channels, hence 108Mbs (2x54). Linksys use a method they call speedboost, also referred to as g++ to give a claimed signalling rate of 125 Mbps through an alternative method of frame-bursting.

As with all wireless technology, the rates referred to above are known as the signalling rates and are not the throughput transmission speeds which will be limited by wireless connection quality. Note, it is practically impossible to get throughput transmission speeds to match signalling rates, particularly as speeds increase.

Ethernet networking

The Sky router complies with IEEE 802.3 ethernet technology, running at 10 or 100 Mbit/s depending on the attached ethernet hardware. There is no standard and therefore the Sky router does not "transmit 108 mbps wired".

If you are told by a Sky agent that your "wireless speeds will be 56mbps and if you wire it, 108mbps" then you can safely assume that the agent is either clueless or woefully misinformed.

The Craig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Giffnock
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Or just doing their job, but yeah.. one of those.
      Just an addition, you are never told your speeds will be anything, it's all based on an up to maximum, be it accurate or not.
      Sky Broadband Opinion? -- Excellent.
      Sky Broadband Uptime? -- Flawless.
      Sky Broadband Speed? -- Perfect.

Sky Broadband.. It rocks the socks.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FibreOptic View Post
      The only realway to test the 180mb or 54mb is to do a quick filesharing test on the network!
      That will usually max out the connection, Providing the other computers duplex settings are correct!
      I'm struggling with this duplex thing as from my reading up, duplex settings apply to ethernet and not wireless.

Can you point me in the direction on how to check the duplex settings for a wireless connection (assuming you are correct that they do apply to wireless).

@Saturday - i see netgear now have some 270mbps products, do you have any views on what 'real' throughput these would achieve?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Craig View Post
      Or just doing their job
      OK - so that makes 3 categories:
      • clueless
      • woefully misinformed
      • just doing their job (i.e. repeating info they know to be wrong)

So when you, quite insistently (quote:"i know what i am talking about when it comes to these products") post incorrect information, backed up by at least the inference that you work for Sky, which category are you in?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast