Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 1 Post By pete.i
    • 1 Post By Koala5
    • 2 Post By seawright

When will international flights resume?

This is a discussion on When will international flights resume? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Elsewhere last night I mentioned that I do not think that international flights between the UK and the Far East ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

When will international flights resume?

Elsewhere last night I mentioned that I do not think that international flights between the UK and the Far East would resume for at least 2 years. This is my own opinion based upon what is and what isn’t happening at this time.

Why would I come to such a conclusion?

Firstly which country is going to risk allowing potentially infected foreigners land on its shores? It isn’t just Europe or the UK who are suffering from COVID-19, it is every country around the globe. Health care facilities are being pushed to places where it has become difficult to manage things. I doubt that any small country would welcome reinfection easily and put in measure to ensure any visitors are clear of COVID-19.

Currently, limited trials have started to see if a vaccination will work. This is very early days. Once the initial trials have completed, the second level of trials will need to be performed. In the long-term no one knows if the vaccination will last or for how long. Also, COVID-19 could change sufficiently that a new variant becomes the next pandemic in 2021.

At the very least, everyone who wishes to fly maybe required to prove that they have been vaccinated against COVID-19. Since it is going to take time to establish a suitable vaccination programme and provide everyone with evidence to show that they have been vaccinated or have the anti-bodies in them, this will not immediately be possible.

Today the boss of Ryan air went on about how social isolation will not work with the airlines. Having so many empty seats will make flights unprofitable. Everyone will need to wear masks and they will all need to be scanned with a heat-sensitive camera before boarding.

Well, how about we look at this carefully. Forget the profits side; why not increase the cost of flying to a more suitable level to cover the empty seat. Ok, that’ll push the cost of flying beyond the means of many people. Fewer people will want to fly and budget airlines such as Ryan will not be able to function as they have been.

Masks are going to help, but not in close proximity and not for the long flights. I don’t know how long a mask is good for, but a 24-hour flight to Australia is going to require more than one per passenger.

Now the scanning...

Well, it didn’t work before, so why should it work now?

What? It didn’t work? No, it didn’t. COVID-19 spread very well from China across the planet via all those international travellers. We now know that someone can become infected and for them to stay symptom-free for up to two weeks whilst they are infecting everyone else. So no, scanning for a high temperature is not going to help. It will just repeat what has already happened.

People need to be tested properly prior to flying. We will all need to be vaccinated with something that actually works. Anyone who wishes to travel should be required to show some kind of vaccination card that includes COVID-19.

All of this will take time. It’s no good having a small number of people vaccinated and allowing the airlines to fly as they will want more passengers.

Of course, the next phase will be to ensure that COVID-20 or COVID-21 is also identified and vaccinated against quickly.

So is 2 years adequate?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (04-05-20)

3. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: When will international flights resume?

Hopefully never. then we can spend our hard earned in this country rather than putting it in the pockets of foreign governments. And just in case you ask. No I never travel away from these hallowed shores. 12 years in the army put paid to any ideas of going abroad again.
      speedyrite likes this.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The future seems very bleak indeed!, We will live to work and pay for food and our shelter.
      Leisure as we know it will become a thing of the past as deep recession sets in, businesses, bars, restaurants, airlines, holiday companies go bust. I think I will get the rope out now!
      speedyrite likes this.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      ... as deep recession sets in, businesses, bars, restaurants, airlines, holiday companies go bust. I think I will get the rope out now!
      Don't know about deep recession sounds more like deep depression is setting in.
      speedyrite and Scubbie like this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Don't know about deep recession sounds more like deep depression is setting in.
      It certainly sounds likely. Whilst it took it's time, the global ecomnomy did recover from the deep depression.

Let us just hope that we can avoid the rise of the right-wing extremists and WW3 in a few years as a means to help the recovery though. Remember, there were people who criticised Adolf Hitler but didn't take suitable action as "it didn't affect them" until it was too late.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms