Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bloke charged under UK terror law for refusing to cough up passwords

This is a discussion on Bloke charged under UK terror law for refusing to cough up passwords within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...rism_act_2000/ First they came for the activists and I did nothing… British police have charged a man under antiterror laws ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Bloke charged under UK terror law for refusing to cough up passwords

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...rism_act_2000/
      First they came for the activists and I did nothing…

British police have charged a man under antiterror laws after he refused to hand over his phone and laptop passwords.

Muhammad Rabbani, international director of CAGE, was arrested at Heathrow in November after declining to unlock his devices, claiming they contained confidential testimony describing torture in Afghanistan as well as information on high-ranking officials. CAGE positions itself as a non-profit organization that represents and supports families affected by the West's **** (aka The War On Terror).

On Wednesday this week, he was charged under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000: specifically, he is accused of obstructing or hampering an investigation by refusing to cough up his login details.

"On 20 November 2016, at Heathrow Airport, he did willfully obstruct, or sought to frustrate, an examination or search under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000, contrary to paragraph 18(1)(c) of that Schedule," London's Metropolitan Police alleged. "He is due to appear in Westminster Magistrates' Court on 20 June."

If found guilty, Rabbani could face up to three months in prison and a fine of £2,500 (US$3,242). He has said he will fight the case and is hopeful of winning. He claims he has been stopped under Schedule 7 about 20 times and has always refused to hand over his passwords. However, it appears that the Met is now ready to test this case in court, so formal charges have been brought.

Schedule 7 was controversial when it was first introduced by the Blair administration. Back then it was claimed by the Labour government that it would be used only in extreme terrorism cases, but since then has been used plenty of times – most notably to hold the partner of Glenn Greenwald over the leaking of the Snowden archives.

What makes Schedule 7 rather tricksy is that no evidence is required to pull someone over for questioning under the law. Usually, Brit officers must have at least reasonable suspicion of a crime before collaring a suspect, but under these antiterror rules, they can hold and quiz people for up to nine hours with no evidence at all.

"I'm going into this eyes wide open and I'm not a victim, but I'm not a hero either," Rabbani said. "I do believe I am doing what any reasonable person would do under the circumstances in order to protect the privacy of a client."

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Bloke charged under UK terror law for refusing to cough up passwords

Yep! Same for encryption keys too. Needs to be deniable encryption from now on.

Thanks

When I first saw this article I wasn't sure whether to cross post it.

On the one hand I can understand the paranoia that is deeply embedded within our security services at this moment. On the other hand I can understand the need to keep some information confidential.

With the current scare over taking anything larger than a mobile phone on many aircraft, things must be getting a little stressful out there.

If genuine, do they have the right to look at the private contents of your laptop? Should you allow someone to read all your private messages, emails and other private correspondence?

Recent developments in the USA appear to be leaning towards stopping their abuse where they have been insisting that many visitors actually hand over their passwords so that they can look at your emails, social media accounts and anything else they wish to see. It appears that the UK is now doing the same.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

It is a moot point, you can get 7 years for not handing over your keys/passwords, that's the country we live in now. They don't have time to gather evidence, convict yourself there's a good pleb. Just another symptom of the downward spiral this country is taking.

Thanks

It's a very sad state of affairs. It used to be that you were innocent until proven guilty.

Now your guilty. Nothing else, just guilty.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms