Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Leached WiFi

This is a discussion on Leached WiFi within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; According to the International Herald Tribune a 17 year old boy faces $10,000 in fines and up to three years ...

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Leached WiFi

According to the International Herald Tribune a 17 year old boy faces $10,000 in fines and up to three years in jail for grabbing free internet off his neighbour.

The article says Garyl Tan Jia Luo used a laptop to “Gain unauthorized access to a private home network”.

This arrest raises many questions in the liability of internet theft, although it does not specify if the wireless network was secured or not.

Should people who leave a WiFi network unsecured get to press charges against people who use it? Is jail time an appropriate punishment for WiFi theft. Should the ISP have taken action instead of the owner?

If so should the ISP be suing both the leacher and the owner for breaking a customer agreement?

WOW! lol! Think about all the people in the UK who can connect to their neigbours wifi from their kitchens lol

2. Advertisement
      dazzuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sittingbourne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I support many people in my area and always lock down networks i install. There are many unsecured networks in my area but it does not suprise me that they are unsecure as al ot of people dont know how to repair a PC, let alone how to go into a router and setup security.
      Dazz
      Got Fibre, Yay!!

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Dazzuk? So you work in the Network field? Im sure my School needs a Network Administrator! big money going!