Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Three finally rolls out app-free Wi-Fi calling in the UK

This is a discussion on Three finally rolls out app-free Wi-Fi calling in the UK within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/30/...fi-calling-uk/ Better late than never. For years , Three has offered WiFi-enabled calls through an app called inTouch. While serviceable, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Three finally rolls out app-free Wi-Fi calling in the UK

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/30/...fi-calling-uk/
      Better late than never.

For years, Three has offered WiFi-enabled calls through an app called inTouch. While serviceable, the experience pales in comparison to the app-free versions offered by Vodafone and EE. After all, who wants an extra icon taking up your home screen or app drawer? Thankfully, Three now has a competitive service. If you're using a compatible device (LG G5, Samsung S6 and S6 edge, iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, 6s, SE and 7), you no longer need the app to call someone over the internet. That means you can talk when you're trapped in a pesky "notspot," or even on the London Underground. Three says more devices will be added over time -- Samsung's (soon to be replaced) S7 and S7 edge will be compatible next month, for instance.

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Three finally rolls out app-free Wi-Fi calling in the UK

This is not new. I have had this facility on my S6 Edge for many months now.
      It works almost flawlessly. An icon shows when you have no signal and it automatically goes into Wi-Fi calling mode for both calls and texts.

Sadly for 3UK, it has confirmed my belief that the signal strength in my home has reduced substantially over the years with no signal being the case around 90% of the time.
      Therefore, I will be telling 3UK to take a running jump in March when my contract ends.
      Why should I pay an expensive monthly fee that requires me to have access to Wi-Fi just to be able to use the service.

If I complain about it, they always say they have found a fault and it will be fixed soon. It never is fixed. The signal was strong during my first two years with them then it gradually decreased.

So, it will be bye bye 3UK from me.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Opposite thing here. Three's 3G signal was poor a few years ago, so they gave me a Home Signal box (which fixed that problem). Last year, 4G from Three appeared and Three's local coverage is much better now. Have used the "Three In Touch" (TiT) app since it launched to get coverage via wifi in a few odd places where Three mobile coverage was weak or non-existent and I had access to wifi. Our iDevices got the carrier update to 27.1 on Sunday and now got integrated wifi calling turned on, which is now seamless (as opposed to unintegrated when using the TiT app). Having said all of the above, as with all things: one person's junk can sometimes be another person's treasure can't it?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Does the Three version allow texts as well as voice? The EE version does but the Vodafone version doesn't. The EE version also allows full hand-off to or from the cellular VoLTE 4G network as well.

That now just leaves O2 without native built-in WiFi calling. Being left behind yet again!

On the subject of the London underground system, it really is about time all networks provided cellular access in the stations. US networks can manage it is pretty much every US city that has a subway system so there's no excuse. Also remember that only about 80% of the tube stations actually have WiFi. One of the most ludicrous tube stations NOT to have WiFi is LHR T5!!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

There are a number of things going on here. Firstly any WiFi support is only going to be useful when you have WiFi access and it isn't going to be metered.

As Sky customers most of us have unlimited broadband usage at home and also have free access to Sky WiFi in various places such as Cafe Nero. Three has also signed up to allow free access to the WiFi on the London Underground. Sounds rosie.

Once we're away from home, work and any free WiFi hotspot, we are reliant on the local 2G, 3G or 4G coverage for telephone calls.

It became apparent to me last year when some potential mobile spectrum became available that all is not equal. Three wanted it. They were prepared to pay for it. However the competition was preventing them from purchasing it. They've since launched a campaign to raise public awareness and to put pressure on Ofcom.

Where I live I should get 4G coverage, but only get 3G. To get 4G coverage I need to go a few hundred metres from my home. In town the signal is terrible, especially whilst in the shops. Not so far away are other areas where the signal is just as bad or worse. However those places I'm specifically thinking of are also very bad for other providers too.

I did appreciate Three's access whilst on holiday last year. I was able to use both my MiFi and phone whilst in Malta and Sicily. Previously I had used it whilst on the cruise in Spain and the Canary's, but not in Portugal or Madeira. Both, along with Malta, were added to their 'feel at home' last September. Having such access enabled me to use my phone for SatNav whilst on holiday last year. Of course the Google Maps needs to get a major fix to be of any use in Malta, but that's another story.

I held back upgrading my phone last year, hoping to see something good from Sky Mobile. I'm currently having second thoughts and considering what to do.

Where I am O2's coverage would give me 4G coverage, but their UK coverage isn't that good either. I've experienced issues with EE's customer support through helping a friend. Besides EE have been bought by BT and I'll never go back to them. Vodafone gave me a lot of problems when a handset failed on me, which is why I last moved and went to Three. So my options are so nice to look at.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      Does the Three version allow texts as well as voice? The EE version does but the Vodafone version doesn't. The EE version also allows full hand-off to or from the cellular VoLTE 4G network as well.
      Yes, it includes texting via wi-fi.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

James_Mitchell (31-01-17)