Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

R. I. P. (2017)

This is a discussion on R. I. P. (2017) within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Barely a few hours into the new year and already a couple of great talented people have passed on... Bambi ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

R. I. P. (2017)

Barely a few hours into the new year and already a couple of great talented people have passed on...

Bambi artist Tyrus Wong dies aged 106

Bambi artist Tyrus Wong dies aged 106 - BBC News

Tyrus Wong, the artist whose works inspired the Disney film Bambi, has died aged 106.

A Chinese immigrant, Mr Wong's vibrant paintings captured Walt Disney's eye and became the basis of the film's distinct style.

In a statement, the Walt Disney Family Museum said "his influence on the artistic composition of the animated feature Bambi cannot be overstated."

He died at home surrounded by his family.

Mr Wong emigrated to the United States from China as a child, with his father - leaving behind his mother and a sister he would never see again.

After studying as an artist, he began working with Disney in 1938 as an "inbetweener", drawing hundreds of pictures between poses to create the illusion of motion.

Looked and felt like a forest

When the film studio began pre-production on Bambi, "he went home and painted several pictures of a deer in a forest", the Disney museum said.

"Walt Disney saw that Tyrus was able to produce exquisite artwork that did not necessarily look like the forest - but rather, felt like the forest. Walt's vision for Bambi and use of Tyrus' work still influences films today," it said.

Tyrus Wong only worked at Disney for three years, moving to Warner Brothers as a concept artist, designing greeting cards for Hallmark on the side.

After retiring, he turned to creating hundreds of elaborate bamboo kites, received many awards in recognition of his work, and became the subject of a documentary about his life.

Writing about his death, the documentary's director said "with his passing, we have lost a brilliant artist, motion picture and animation legend, Chinese American pioneer, and hero.

"Tyrus always faced adversity with dignity, courage, and art... he awed us with his talent, charmed us with his boyish humour, and moved us with his humility, generosity, resilience, and big heart."

https://www.sky.com/new-search/panel...a5d709?q=bambi

M*A*S*H star William Christopher dies
      M*A*S*H star William Christopher dies - BBC News
      William Christopher, who played kind-hearted priest Father Mulcahy in the TV series M*A*S*H, has died at 84.

The actor, who was diagnosed with cancer 18 months ago, died at home in Pasadena, California, on Saturday.

He appeared in all 11 seasons of M*A*S*H, a bittersweet comedy about the life of a US medical unit during the 1950-53 Korean War.

The show ran from 1972-1983. Its finale drew 106 million viewers, a record at the time.

Christopher, who was born in Chicago, moved to New York to work as a theatre actor after college. He later went to California, securing several television roles.

Then in 1972 he was cast in M*A*S*H, a television series that followed a film of the same name.

M*A*S*H stands for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, and the series centred on a unit, the M*A*S*H 4077, and the lives of the doctors and nurses who staffed it.

Christopher played the camp chaplain, a courteous and compassionate presence who counselled medical staff and patients amid the chaos of the war.

He was one of four cast members who appeared in every season of the show. When it ended, he briefly appeared in a spin-off, After M*A*S*H, with two other cast members, as well as other television work.

Loretta Swit, who played Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan, said Christopher was perfectly cast in M*A*S*H.

"Everyone adored him,'' she said. "A great sense of humour and a great humanitarian. He became TV's quintessential padre as Father Mulcahy on M*A*S*H."

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: R. I. P. (2017)

Not Bambi.

Thanks

Lord Snowdon, royal photographer, dies aged 86

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...r-dies-aged-86
      Former husband of the late Princess Margaret dies peacefully at home

Lord Snowdon, the renowned photographer and former husband of Princess Margaret, has died peacefully at his home at the age of 86, a family spokesman has said.

Born Anthony Armstrong-Jones, he died peacefully at his home on Friday, according to his picture agency Camera Press.

Buckingham Palace said the Queen had been informed, but did not comment further.

He and Princess Margaret had two children, Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto. With his second wife, Lucy Lindsay-Hogg, from whom he split in 2000, he had a daughter, Lady Frances Armstrong-Jones. He also had a son, Jasper, with the journalist Melanie Cable-Alexander.

Sky Q 2TB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media Vivid 300
      Router: ASUS RT-AC88U powered by Asuswrt-Merlin
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Larry Steinbachek, 56, English keyboardist (Bronski Beat), cancer

Bronski Beat were a popular British synthpop trio who achieved success in the mid-1980s, particularly with the 1984 chart hit "Smalltown Boy". All members of the group were openly gay and their songs reflected this, often containing political commentary on gay-related issues. At the height of their popularity, the band consisted of singer Jimmy Somerville backed by Steve Bronski and Larry Steinbachek, both of whom played keyboards and percussion. Somerville went on to have success as lead singer of The Communards and as a solo artist.
      Last edited by Sky Q 2TB; 13-01-17 at 07:36 PM.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Graham Taylor, yesterday unless I've missed the dedicated thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      You hadn't.

Graham Taylor in his own words - BBC Sport

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      You hadn't.

Graham Taylor in his own words - BBC Sport

I've just spotted another one for yesterday too. Considering it was Friday 13th, I guess that timing is everything sometimes...

Exorcist writer William Peter Blatty dies aged 89 - BBC News
      Exorcist writer William Peter Blatty dies aged 89

US author and filmmaker William Peter Blatty, best known for writing The Exorcist, has died at the age of 89.

William Friedkin, who directed the film adaptation of Blatty's novel, broke the news of his death on Twitter.

"William Peter Blatty, dear friend and brother who created The Exorcist passed away yesterday," he wrote.

The Exorcist was published as a novel in 1971, with the hugely successful big screen adaptation - also written by Blatty - following two years later.

Despite a troubled production and a muted launch, the film went on to become one of the highest grossing in history and is considered by critics to be a classic horror movie.

Blatty's widow, Julie Alicia Blatty, told the Associated Press that the writer died on Thursday at a hospital in Bethesda, Maryland.

The cause of death was multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer, she said.

Horror writer Stephen King tweeted: "RIP William Peter Blatty, who wrote the great horror novel of our time. So long, Old Bill."

The Exorcist won Blatty an Oscar for best adapted screenplay and he went on to write and direct the second sequel The Exorcist III.

Blatty also wrote novels such as Elsewhere, Dimiter, The Ninth Configuration and Demons Five, Exorcist Nothing: A Fable.

His film credits include A Shot in the Dark, The Great Bank Robbery and Promise Her Anything.

...but of course the film was also famous for using 'Tubular Bells' by Mike Oldfield in the end credits

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

The Exorcist is in my top three of horror films, the others being Rosemary's Baby and The Omen.
      The Exorcist still scares the living daylights out of me everytime I watch it. One of the rare films or TV series that has ever done that for me.

Thanks

If you'd like to stay awake tonight the film is available in Sky Store and episode 10 of the series is available On Demand (Syfy) at the moment.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you'd like to stay awake tonight the film is available in Sky Store and episode 10 of the series is available On Demand (Syfy) at the moment.
      Have it on my Google Play but it was on Horror channel and TCM for free a few months back.
      As for the TV series, its not bad, but Scary, its not!
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast