Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Like Tree7Likes

R. I. P. (2017)

This is a discussion on R. I. P. (2017) within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Joan Lee, 'Marvel muse' and wife of Stan Lee, dies at 95 Joan Lee, 'Marvel muse' and wife of Stan ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: R. I. P. (2017)

Joan Lee, 'Marvel muse' and wife of Stan Lee, dies at 95

Joan Lee, 'Marvel muse' and wife of Stan Lee, dies at 95 - BBC News
      Tributes have been paid to British-born Joan Lee, wife of Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee, who has died aged 95.

The former hat model and her comic book maestro husband were set to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary later this year.

Marvel Entertainment said they had "lost a member of the Marvel family".

American comic Kevin Smith, who interviewed Joan earlier this year, called her "Stan's personal superhero", adding: "Thank you Marvel Muse."

'A great woman'

In a statement published by The Hollywood Reporter, Stan Lee's family confirmed "the sad news that Joan Lee passed away quietly [on Thursday] and surrounded by her family."

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to her husband and daughter," said Marvel in its own statement.

"We are so saddened to hear about the loss of Joan Lee... Our thoughts and prayers go out to Stan and his daughter Joan in this difficult time."

Stan Lee worked with artist Jack Kirby to create such comic book characters as Thor, Doctor Strange, X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

Joan Lee was the author of 1987 novel The Pleasure Palace and had several cameos in Marvel films, including last year's X-Men: Apocalypse.

Writing on Instagram, Kevin Smith said that when he had met Joan Lee in January, she told him: "It's always Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Man. They don't know the amazing writer he really is."

He added: "She then talked about the words her long-time love had written for her over a lifetime spent together.

"There's a very famous story about Stan wanting to leave Marvel, in which Joan advises him 'Before you quit, write a comic you're proud of.' That comic was Fantastic Four - the birth of the Marvel Universe.

"He told us tales of heroes but Joan was Stan's personal superhero - and without her, we never get our modern mythology.

"They say behind every great man is a great woman. In this case, the great woman was always standing right beside him. Joan and Stan were best friends for 70 years."

The couple had two daughters - Joan, born 1950, and Jan, who died three days after her birth in 1953.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Sir Bruce Forsyth: TV legend dies aged 89

Sir Bruce Forsyth: TV legend dies aged 89 - BBC News
      Sir Bruce Forsyth, the veteran entertainer and presenter of many successful TV shows, has died aged 89.

The former Strictly Come Dancing host had been unwell for some time and was in hospital earlier this year after a severe chest infection.

His long career in showbusiness began when he was aged just 14.

He became Britain's best-paid TV star, famous for hosting game shows like The Generation Game, Play Your Cards Right and The Price is Right.

He also presented BBC One's Strictly with Tess Daly from 2004 to 2014.

A statement from his manager Ian Wilson said: "It is with great sadness that the Forsyth family announce that Sir Bruce passed away this afternoon, peacefully at his home surrounded by his wife Wilnelia and all his children.

"A couple of weeks ago, a friend visited him and asked him what he had been doing these last 18 months.

"With a twinkle in his eye, he responded, 'I've been very, very busy... being ill!'"

Sir Bruce's family expressed their thanks to "the many people who have sent cards and letters to Bruce wishing him well over his long illness and know that they will share in part the great, great loss they feel".

They said there would be no further comment at the moment and asked for their privacy to be respected "at this most difficult time".

BBC director general Sir Tony Hall described Sir Bruce as "one of the greatest entertainers our country has ever known".

"He has delighted millions of people and defined Saturday night television for decades, with shows like the Generation Game and, most recently, Strictly," he said.

"His warmth and his wit were legendary. I've never seen anyone quite like him when it comes to performing in front of a crowd.

"He had a remarkable chemistry with his audience - that's what made him such an amazing professional and why he was so loved. He has been part of all of our lives, and we'll miss him dearly."

Sir Bruce's Strictly co-host Tess Daly said she was "heartbroken".

"From the moment we met, Bruce and I did nothing but laugh our way through a decade of working together on Strictly Come Dancing and I will never forget his generosity, his brilliant sense of humour and his drive to entertain the audiences he so loved.

"He has been there for me as a co-host, a mentor, but most importantly as a friend, and I'm extremely fortunate to have worked alongside the man who defined Saturday night entertainment for so many decades.

"He was a gentleman and a true legend and I will miss him deeply. My heart goes out to Winnie, his wife, and his beautiful family at this sad time."

Strictly presenter Claudia Winkleman, who replaced Sir Bruce after he left the show, tweeted that he was "the King of TV, the Prince of performers and the most generous of people... all toe-tapping twinkle, all kindness, all love....

"The Bruce you saw really was the man he was. We'll miss him so much."

Sir Bruce had not been seen in public recently, due to ill health. He was too frail to attend the funerals of close friends Ronnie Corbett and Sir Terry Wogan last year.

In 2015, the presenter underwent keyhole surgery after suffering two aneurysms, which were discovered following a fall at his Surrey home.

Sir Bruce Forsyth 1928-2017

Longest TV career of any male entertainer

First TV performance, Come and Be Televised

Last TV performance, Strictly Children in Need Special

• 5 years The Bruce Forsyth Show
      • 10 years The Generation Game
      • 14 years Play your cards right
      • 2 catchphrases Didn't he do well? Nice to see you, to see you nice.
      TV executive and former BBC chairman Sir Michael Grade described his friend as "an absolute master and a lovely man to boot".

He added: "I've grown up with Bruce - he and I have been friends and we've worked together over the years. I spent a morning with him at his house two weeks ago. He had a wonderful twinkle in his eye and he was battling, battling.

"It was very sad to see him infirm at the end. I said as I left him, Bruce, you've still got the twinkle."

Former chat show host Sir Michael Parkinson described the entertainer as "funny" and "irrepressible".

He said his fondest memories of Sir Bruce were a song and dance routine they performed together on TV.

"I never imagined I'd end up dancing with a comic - he was hilarious. He thought I might be better than I was.

"I remember it was the first and only time in my career when I mentally stopped and thought, what are you doing Parky - dancing with Bruce Forsyth?"

Sir Michael also praised Sir Bruce's ability to manage his career, saying: "He was a very smart picker of knowing what the right formats were for him.

"He was very canny - we only know about the shows he said yes to, what we don't know are the hundreds of ideas he said, 'That's not for me.' He had the smartness - that's the sign of a great star."

BBC Radio 4 presenter Nicholas Parsons added that he was "devoted" to Sir Bruce.

"He had great charm, great humour - he was an all-round performer. He was one of the country's most talented players - a great dancer, great singer and a comedian and also very good actor. The way he ran a game show was exceptional - a unique talent. He was a lovely man."

The Beano tweeted a picture of Sir Bruce which appeared in the comic in 2008, describing him as an "entertainment legend".

Actress Kara Tointon, who won Strictly in 2010, tweeted: "An absolute showbiz legend...Rest in Peace Sir Bruce Forsyth."

dog-man likes this.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batgofh.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	6538

RIP Brucie..
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Keith Chegwin: Television presenter dies aged 60

Keith Chegwin: Television presenter dies aged 60 - BBC News
      Veteran TV presenter Keith Chegwin has died aged 60 after a long illness, his family has said.

They said he had endured a "long-term battle with a progressive lung condition" which "rapidly worsened towards the end of this year".

He died at home on Monday with his family by his side, who said they were "heartbroken".

Chegwin was known for hosting programmes including children's game show Cheggers Plays Pop and Swap Shop.

The larger-than-life character, described by his family as "a loving husband, father, son, brother, uncle and friend" leaves two children and his wife Maria.
      He had been cared for at a hospice in recent weeks.

Chegwin was previously married to fellow TV presenter Maggie Philbin, whom he had met on Swap Shop.

Philbin paid tribute to her former husband
      , saying: "It is incredibly sad. Keith was a one-off. Full of life, generous and with a focus on things that mattered - his family.

"I saw him two months ago at his sister Janice's wedding, where he was still attempting to be life and soul of the party despite being on portable oxygen and made sure he knew how much he meant to us all.

"Our daughter Rose flew home from San Francisco to be with him over the last few weeks and I know he was surrounded by so much love from his second wife Maria, their son Ted, his sister Janice, his twin brother Jeff and his father Colin.

"Keith was loved by everyone who knew and worked with him."

Tributes have been paid by fellow TV stars, including Gaby Roslin, who worked with him on The Big Breakfast. She described him as "so generous and kind" and a "happy and joyous man".

Bobby Davro said Chegwin was "one of the nicest guys" in showbiz.

And Tony Blackburn said he was "devastated" at the loss of his friend.

Chegwin's career fell away in the 80s and 90s and he had a well-documented struggle with alcoholism for many years. But it was revived by a stint on the Big Breakfast.

He went on to make infamous Channel 5 nudist gameshow Naked Jungle, appearing naked except for a hat, and also starred as himself in Ricky Gervais show Extras.

Chegwin - known affectionately by the nickname Cheggers - also appeared in Celebrity Big Brother and Dancing on Ice.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789