Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

R. I. P. (2017)

This is a discussion on R. I. P. (2017) within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; TV Batman actor Adam West dies at 88 TV Batman actor Adam West dies at 88 - BBC News Adam ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: R. I. P. (2017)

TV Batman actor Adam West dies at 88

TV Batman actor Adam West dies at 88 - BBC News
      Adam West, the US actor best known as the star of the 1960s hit TV series Batman, has died aged 88.

West died peacefully in Los Angeles after a brief battle with leukaemia, a family spokesperson said.

His tongue-in-cheek portrayal of Batman and the superhero's alter ego Bruce Wayne won a cult following.

However, West later struggled to find acting work. He most recently played a character in the animated comedy Family Guy.

"Our dad always saw himself as The Bright Knight, and aspired to make a positive impact on his fans' lives. He was and always will be our hero," the actor's family said in a statement, reported in Variety.

The Batman TV series, with its onscreen fight-scene graphics of Wham! and Pow! became an unexpected hit. West and his co-star Burt Ward, who played Batman's sidekick Robin, won widespread acclaim for their kitsch portrayal of the Dynamic Duo.

Actor Julie Newmar, who played Catwoman in the series, paid tribute to West on Saturday, saying he was was "bright, witty and fun to work with".

"I will miss him in the physical world and savour him always in the world of imagination and creativity," she said.

In a 2010 interview with the website Slice of SciFi, West said the TV series had benefitted from very good writers.

"They saw the craziness, the comedy. You know, just as he's about to put her in (jail), Batman says to Catwoman, 'You give me curious stirrings in my utility belt.' That's funny stuff."

When the series ended, West struggled to break free from the character, but over a long career appeared in nearly 50 films including Drop Dead Gorgeous, An American Vampire Story and Nevada Smith.

Who has played Batman?

• Adam West -TV series (1966-68); Batman: The Movie (1966)
      • Michael Keaton -Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (1992)
      • Val Kilmer -Batman Forever (1995)
      • George Clooney - Batman and Robin (1997)
      • Christian Bale - Batman Begins (2005); The Dark Knight (2008); The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
      • Ben Affleck - Batman v Superman (2016)

In Family Guy, West played the mayor of the town of Quahog, who was named - Adam West.

West was born in 1928 in Walla Walla, Washington state, and began his acting career in Hawaii in the 1950s.

He is survived by his wife, Marcelle, six children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

dog-man likes this.

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Another part of my childhood gone!
      lettice likes this.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      Another part of my childhood gone!
      Precisely.

To the batcave
      Quick, the batmobile.

RIP!

Thanks

John Avildsen, Oscar-winning director of Rocky, dies aged 81

John Avildsen, Oscar-winning director of Rocky, dies aged 81 - BBC News
      John G. Avildsen, the Oscar-winning director of Rocky and The Karate Kid, has died at the age of 81.

Avildsen's son Anthony told US media the filmmaker had died of pancreatic cancer at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Rocky - starring Sylvester Stallone as a rags-to-riches boxer - became the highest grossing film of 1976, despite having a relatively low budget.

It won an Oscar for best picture, as well one for Avildsen as director.

Stallone, who wrote the film, led the tributes to its director, posting on Instagram: "R. I. P. I'm sure you will soon be directing Hits in Heaven- Thank you , Sly."

Avildsen directed the box-office winner The Karate Kid, released in 1984, as well as The Karate Kid Part II in 1986 and The Karate Kid Part III in 1989.

He also guided Jack Lemmon to his only best actor Oscar for his role in the 1973 film Save the Tiger.

"Throughout the decades, his rousing portrayals of victory, courage and emotion captured the hearts of generations of Americans," Paris Barclay, president of the Directors Guild of America, said in a statement.

Thanks

Stephen Furst, actor who shone in Animal House, dies aged 63

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...e-dies-aged-63

• Furst played naive fraternity member Kent ‘Flounder’ Dorfman in 1978 hit
      • Subsequent roles included Vir Coto in sci-fi series Babylon 5

Stephen Furst, who played naive fraternity pledge Flounder in the hit movie Animal House, has died of complications from diabetes, his family said on Saturday. He was 63.

Furst died on Friday at his home in Moorpark, California, north of Los Angeles, said his son, Nathan Furst.

Furst played Kent “Flounder” Dorfman in the 1978 film that also starred John Belushi. Belushi’s character, Blutarsky, drew Flounder into a prank that went terribly wrong and ended up with the frantic Flounder shooting a gun loaded with blanks into a ceiling, frightening a horse so much that it died of a heart attack.

Furst’s long list of credits included the 1980s medical drama St Elsewhere, on which he played Dr Elliot Axelrod. He played Vir Coto and was an occasional director on the 1990s sci-fi series Babylon 5.

He also voiced characters on projects including TV’s Buzz Lightyear of Star Command and the video The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea.

“He was proudest of his family, and he felt blessed and incredibly privileged to have the career that he had and enjoyed,” Nathan Furst said.

Stephen Furst also was a director and producer, working with his other son, Griff. Their Curmudgeon Film projects included the movies My Sister’s Keeper and Cold Moon, a suspense thriller set for release in October, Griff Furst said.

Stephen Furst’s survivors include his wife, Lorraine, and two grandchildren, his sons said.

Thanks

Brian Cant, Play School presenter, dies at 83

Brian Cant, Play School presenter, dies at 83 - BBC News
      Children's presenter Brian Cant has died at the age of 83.

He was best known for presenting BBC's Play School for 21 years from 1964, and Play Away from 1971 to 1984.

His agent said he had been living with Parkinson's disease and died at Denville Hall, a retirement home often used by those in the entertainment industry.

A statement from the family said: "He lived courageously with Parkinson's disease for a long time."

Cant was also a guest presenter on Jackanory and appeared on ITV's Dappledown Farm, which ran from 1990 to 2003.

He got his big break when he auditioned for Play School, when part of the audition required him to climb into a cardboard box.
      'Comedy genius'

His voice was known to millions in shows such as Trumpton, his most famous line being the fire brigade call-out: "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub."

Floella Benjamin, who also performed in Play School, said Cant was "comedy genius".

She told BBC News: "He was totally devoted to making children happy - he introduced children to comedy with zany jokes and his funny sketches."

Baroness Benjamin, who joined Play School in 1976, said she loved working with Cant. "We bounced off one another, we thought of new ideas of things to do," she said.

Brian Cant: A much loved part of childhood - by David Silitto, Arts correspondent

For millions his voice immediately evokes childhood.

In the early '60s - an audition in which he was asked to sit in a cardboard box led to a job on a new programme called Play School.

Born in Ipswich, he trained as a printer before having a go at acting.

The warm, friendly voice was perfect for another children's venture - Trumpton, Camberwick Green - and the slightly more industrial Chigley.

If it sounds as though it was recorded in a cupboard, it's because it was.

Along with Play Away, Bric a Brac and other programmes he was part of children's TV for more than 20 years.

He wrote and appeared on stage, but more than anything he was - for many - a much loved part of childhood.
      Cant's Play School co-presenter and former Coronation Street star Derek Griffiths paid tribute on Twitter, posting a reunion picture of the team.

Former Blackadder star Sir Tony Robinson also tweeted: "Brian Cant was my mentor and friend on Play Away. We wrote and performed together for two years. Always patient, courteous and funny P-L-A-Y R-I-P."

Cant was honoured with a special Children's Bafta award in 2010.

In a BBC interview, he explained that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1999.

He said the one thing he wanted children to take away from his work was "that I made them laugh, I made them feel happy".

On receiving his Bafta, Cant said: "One of the main rules of those Play School days was that we should play to the camera as though we were talking to one child, in whatever circumstance.

"It could be somebody in a tower block, a nice semi-detached somewhere, or a Royal palace. You had to phrase everything so, whoever was watching it, they felt you were talking to them."

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Play school, Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley in the 1960s.
      An important part of my childhood, thanks for the greatness.
      They do not make things like that anymore, a so different era.
      RIP.
      dog-man likes this.

Thanks

Paddington Bear creator Michael Bond dies

Paddington Bear creator Michael Bond dies - BBC News

Michael Bond, the creator of beloved children's character Paddington Bear, has died at the age of 91.

He died at his home on Tuesday following a short illness, a statement from his publisher Harper Collins said.

Bond published his first book, A Bear Called Paddington, in 1958.

The character, a marmalade-loving bear from "deepest, darkest Peru" who comes to live in London, went on to inspire a series of books, an animated TV series and a successful 2014 film.

As well as Paddington, he also created characters including Olga da Polga, A Mouse Called Thursday and a French detective named Monsieur Pamplemousse.

A sequel to the Paddington film will be released later this year.

"So sorry to hear that Michael Bond has departed," Stephen Fry wrote on Twitter. "He was as kindly, dignified, charming and lovable as the immortal Paddington Bear he gave us."

Comedian and author David Walliams also paid tribute, remembering the author as "a dazzling wit and perfect gentleman".

Hugh Bonneville, who will be seen in Paddington 2 reprising his role as Mr Brown, said it was "particularly poignant" to learn of Bond's death on the last day of shooting the sequel.

"In Paddington, Michael created a character whose enthusiasm and optimism has given pleasure to millions across the generations," he said.

"Michael will be greatly missed by his legions of fans and especially by his wife Sue, his family and of course by his beloved guinea pigs."

StudioCanal, producer of the Paddington Films, said it was "deeply saddened" by his passing.

"Very sad to hear Michael Bond has died," tweeted broadcaster Jeremy Clarkson. "I knew him for 45 years and rarely met anyone kinder or more gentle."

It was Clarkson's mother Shirley who made the first Paddington toy figure as a Christmas present for her son.

Obituary, by Nick Serpell

On his way home from work on Christmas Eve in 1956, Bond spied a lonely teddy bear on the shelf in a shop window, and took it home as a stocking filler for his wife.

He called it Paddington because they were living near Paddington Station at the time.

While musing over a typewriter and a blank sheet of paper, he wondered idly what it would be like if an unaccompanied bear turned up at a railway station looking for a home.

Born in Newbury in 1926, Bond began his career at the BBC and later worked on Blue Peter as a cameraman.

He served with the RAF and the army during World War II and began writing in 1945 while stationed in Cairo.

More than 35 million Paddington books have been sold worldwide. The most recent, Paddington's Finest Hour, was published in April.

Charlie Redmayne, chief executive officer of HarperCollins, said he was "one of the great children's writers" who had left "one of the great literary legacies of our time".

Ann-Janine Murtagh, executive publisher at HarperCollins Children's Books, remembered the author as "a true gentleman, a bon viveur, the most entertaining company and the most enchanting of writers".

"He will be forever remembered for his creation of the iconic Paddington, with his duffle coat and wellington boots, which touched my own heart as a child and will live on in the hearts of future generations."

Speaking to the BBC in 2014, Bond revealed he had created Paddington "to please myself" and that he would "carry on writing the books as long as I can".

He is survived by wife Sue, their children Karen and Anthony, and four grandchildren.

Last edited by Scubbie; 28-06-17 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks

Film critic Barry Norman dies

Film critic Barry Norman dies - BBC News
      Film critic Barry Norman has died aged 83, his family says.

The journalist and former BBC presenter died in his sleep on Friday night.

A statement from his daughters, Samantha and Emma, called him "remarkable", adding: "He had a great life, a wonderful marriage and an enviable career."

Norman hosted BBC One's "Film…" show between 1972 and 1998 - its longest running host - as well as writing for the Daily Mail and the Guardian.

His literary agent described him as "the defining voice of film criticism and insightful interviewing of screen legends from both sides of the camera".

Norman's daughters added: "He leaves behind a family who adore him and a great roster of friends who love him too. We will miss him more than we can say."

Norman's literary agent, Gordon Wise, said the presenter had been living with lung cancer for a number of years, but that he would be remembered as "one of the true greats" of film.

"It was probably that background as a newspaper journalist, interviewer and features writer that all came together to make him such a gifted film critic," he told BBC News.

"He could not only appreciate the story of the film but all the talents that had gone into making the film. That is what we all remember from the three decades of the Film programme - that he brought you perspectives from every side of the camera."

'A good life'

Tributes have begun flooding in on Twitter, with plenty of references to Norman's pickled onions - a family recipe handed down from his grandmother that he launched as a range in supermarkets in 2007.

Actor and presenter Stephen Fry tweeted a tribute, writing: "Sad to hear of Barry Norman's departure. A film critic and a provider of fine pickled onions. That's a good life."

Presenter Jonathan Ross, who took over "Film..." in 1999, added to the tributes. He tweeted: "Very sad to hear that Barry Norman has left us. A great critic and a lovely, lovely man."

And Claudia Winkleman, who started presenting the same show in 2010, called him "an incredibly kind man and the greatest critic".

'And why not?' - the career of Barry Norman

Barry Norman was born in London on 21 August 1933 to film director Leslie Norman and his wife, Elizabeth.

He went to Highgate School in north London, but skipped university, instead beginning his writing career at the Kensington News.

Norman's journalism took him to South Africa to work on two newspapers, but it was when he came back to the UK that his entertainment career took off - becoming showbiz editor at the Daily Mail.

It was during his Fleet Street years that he met his wife Diana - a journalist and the author of best-selling thrillers under her pen name Ariana Franklin - and they wed in 1957.

The couple had two daughters and were married for more than 50 years, until her death in 2011.

Norman became best known as the presenter of the "Film..." programme, which he hosted on BBC One for 26 years, before he left the channel to move to Sky.

His notoriety was solidified when he became a puppet on Spitting Image, which created a catchphrase for him - "And why not?" - that he later adopted himself and which became the title of his autobiography.

He also wrote documentaries on the entertainment industry, wrote columns for the Guardian and the Radio Times, and was the first host of BBC Radio 4's The News Quiz - as well as being a presenter on the Today programme.
      BBC director general Tony Hall described Norman as a "first-class presenter and critic".

He added: "Film buffs always found his programmes essential viewing. He dominated broadcasting about films for a generation with wit and great knowledge.

He will be greatly missed and our thoughts are with his family and friends."

BBC film critic Mark Kermode described Norman as "the master".

"Watching Barry Norman review films was a pleasure, an education, and an inspiration," he tweeted. "Wit, knowledge and wry enthusiasm."

Comedian Robin Ince also tweeted: "Barry Norman - the creased but alluring portal to Hollywood greats and a lifetime of film fascination."

Thanks

Grotbags actress Carol Lee Scott dies aged 74

Grotbags actress Carol Lee Scott dies aged 74 - BBC News
      Actress Carol Lee Scott, who was best known as Grotbags the witch, has died at the age of 74.

She appeared in children's programmes in the 1980s and early 1990s, including ITV's Rod Hull's Emu's World.

Her family confirmed the news on social media, with her niece Gina Mear writing on Facebook on Wednesday that the actress had "lost her brave fight against cancer".

"To many of you she was Grotbags - a legend!" she said.

"To me she was just aunty Carol. I shall miss her hugely, rest in peace Carol."

The actress was warmly remembered by comic and performer Rufus Hound, who described her as "an icon for folk of my generation".

Hull's son Toby added his voice to the tributes, tweeting: "Sending our thoughts to the family of Carol Lee Scott, what great memories we have of her. Xx"
      'She was a real trooper'

David Lee, from Pantoni Pantomimes, told the BBC: "I was saddened to receive news of Carol's passing. She appeared in two pantomimes for me; Aladdin in Canterbury in 1984 and Aston Under Lyne with the late Ken Goodwin.

"She was a real trooper and in the time honoured tradition of showbiz, 'the show must go on!'. During the Canterbury panto run we had agreed she could take a cabaret appearance on Xmas Day near London.

"That day she badly injured her ankle but she was back on stage on Boxing Day and completed the run pushed around in a wheelchair by her sidekick in the show who played a Dragon.

"She was also a tremendous cabaret artist and great rock and roll performer. Thanks for some fabulous memories. RIP Carol."

'You made my early years awesome'

Her character Grotbags was a dastardly pantomime witch, with a bright green wig and face to match. She famously hated "brats" and did her best to spoil the fun of children, using her "Bazazzer" - a pointy stick with a gold hand on the end of it.

Fans of the show flooded Twitter with comments, with Gary Dewar writing: "Daleks. Zelda. Skeletor. Nothing - NOTHING - terrified me quite like Grotbags. Bravo!"

Noob added: "Rest in peace Grotbags. You made my early years awesome. I was so scared of you!"

Lee Scott, who was born in Somerset, began her career with cabaret performances touring clubs in the north of England, as well as stints as a London pub singer and as a Pontins Blue Coat.

She worked for the holiday park for 19 years before she began collaborating with Hull on a series of children's 1980s TV shows. They created the character Grotbags during a summer season in Cleethorpes and stayed friends until his death in 1999.

Grotbags first appeared in Emu's World before going on to get her own eponymous show, which ran on ITV for three series between 1991 and 1993.

It featured Lee Scott alongside characters including Colin the Bat, Doris the Dodo and Grumble the cauldron.

The show, set in the Gloomy Fortress, also starred puppeteer Richard Coombs.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast