Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

R. I. P. (2017)

This is a discussion on R. I. P. (2017) within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Bill Paxton, actor known for Aliens and Titanic, dies aged 61 Bill Paxton, actor known for Aliens and Titanic, dies ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: R. I. P. (2017)

Bill Paxton, actor known for Aliens and Titanic, dies aged 61

Bill Paxton, actor known for Aliens and Titanic, dies aged 61 - BBC News
      Actor Bill Paxton, who was best known for his role in the sci-fi classic Aliens, has died at the age of 61, US media report.

Paxton had reportedly suffered from complications following surgery.

The Texan actor's biggest hits included The Terminator, Apollo 13, True Lies, Titanic, and 1996's Twister - in which he starred opposite Helen Hunt.

He is survived by his wife of 30 years, Louise Newbury, and their two children.

Paxton won an Emmy for his performance in the TV mini-series Hatfields and McCoys, alongside Kevin Costner.

He also earned three Best Actor Golden Globe nominations for his starring role in the HBO drama Big Love, where he played a suburban polygamist juggling three wives and families.

At the time of his death, he was working on a crime thriller TV series - Training Day - for the US network CBS.

He played a morally dubious LAPD officer, Detective Frank Rourke.

Fellow Hollywood stars were quick to pay tribute to Paxton as news of his death spread - among them West Wing actor Rob Lowe.

He wrote on Twitter: "Devastated by the sudden loss of my close friend and one of the finest actors in the business, Bill Paxton. Renaissance man, raconteur and uniquely American national treasure. His filmography speaks for itself. His friendship was a blessing. My love to Bunny, James and Lydia.

"In his memory, on this Oscar Sunday, watch One False Move or A Simple Plan to see this lovely leading man, at his finest."

Cary Elwes, his co-star in Twister, shared a picture of the pair together and praised his "talent, enthusiasm and energy".

Jamie Lee Curtis, who co-starred with Paxton in True Lies in 1994, tweeted her sadness, writing: "Nooooo. Bill Paxton is gone. Such a funny, talented, loving human."

Paxton's family said in a statement: "A loving husband and father, Bill began his career in Hollywood working on films in the art department and went on to have an illustrious career spanning four decades as a beloved and prolific actor and filmmaker.

"Bill's passion for the arts was felt by all who knew him, and his warmth and tireless energy were undeniable. We ask to please respect the family's wish for privacy as they mourn the loss of their adored husband and father."

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max/superfast
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

game over man, game over will miss this actor

Thanks

Liver transplant pioneer Thomas Starzl dies aged 90

Liver transplant pioneer Thomas Starzl dies aged 90 - BBC News
      Thomas Starzl, the man who performed the world's first liver transplant, has died days short of his 91st birthday.

The American surgeon pioneered the procedure in 1963, but his first patient did not survive.

After creating a new blend of anti-rejection drugs, he carried out the first successful transplant in 1967. Since then, thousands of lives have been saved by the procedure.

He died at home among his family, a spokesperson said.

In a statement, the University of Pittsburgh, which he joined in the 1980s to work on his drugs research, said Dr Starzl was known as the "father of transplantation" for his work in advancing the surgery from "from a risky, rare procedure to an accessible" one.

'A great human'

In addition to performing the first successful liver transplants, he experimented with transplants from cadavers, and refined the process by using identical twins and blood relatives.

He also pioneered animal-to-human liver transplants, including baboon to human experiments, which he showed could briefly extend life when there was a shortage of human organs.

His family issued a statement saying he "brought life and hope to countless patients".

"He was a pioneer, a legend, a great human, and a great humanitarian," it said.

"He was a force of nature that swept all those around him into his orbit, challenging those that surrounded him to strive to match his superhuman feats of focus, will and compassion."

Dr Starzl was also known for his research work on developing anti-rejection drugs. He blended azathioprine, a drug which suppresses the immune system, with steroids to aid in his pioneering transplants in the 1960s.

His research later in life would lead to the acceptance of improved drugs including cyclosporine and tacrolimus.

He retired from clinical work in 1991 and published his autobiography, The Puzzle People.

In it, he revealed that despite all his accolades, he felt a great anxiety about actually performing surgery.

"I had an intense fear of of failing the patients who had placed their health or life in my hands," he wrote.

"Even for simple operations I would review books.... then, sick with apprehension, I would go to the operating room, almost unable to function until the case began."

"Instead of blotting out the failures, I remembered these forever," he said.

Thanks

Sister Sledge singer Joni dies at 60

Sister Sledge singer Joni dies at 60 - BBC News
      Joni Sledge, the singer best-known for the disco anthem We Are Family, has died aged 60.

Sledge, who formed Sister Sledge with her three siblings in 1971, was found unresponsive by a friend at her home in Phoenix, Arizona, her publicist said.

She had not been ill and the cause of death is unknown.

Sledge, who is survived by her adult son, last performed with the band in October.

Her death was announced on social media on Saturday - a week before the group were due to perform in Los Angeles.

"Yesterday, numbness fell upon our family," a statement released on Facebook read.

"We are saddened to inform you that our dear sister, mother, aunt, niece and cousin, Joni passed away yesterday."

It added: "We miss her and hurt for her presence, her radiance, and the sincerity with which she loved and embraced life."

Aside from the Grammy-nominated We Are Family, the hit which sold more than a million copies after it was released in 1978, the group were also known for He's the Greatest Dancer, Lost in Music and a cover of the Motown classic My Guy.

They sang We Are Family for Pope Francis in 2015.

The Sledge sisters came from a family of performers, including an actress mother, a Broadway star for a father and an opera singer for a grandmother.

They performed together from a young age, leading Sledge to note "I can't remember not singing" during an interview with the BBC in 2015.

However, the four have not stayed together throughout their careers. Instead, the band became a trio after sister Kathy left the band in 1989.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Chuck Berry, Rock and Roll star died today aged 90.

Thanks

Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry dies

Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry dies - BBC News
      Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry has died aged 90, police in US state of Missouri report.

The singer was found unresponsive at lunchtime on Saturday, St Charles County police said.

Berry's seven-decade career boasted a string of hits, including classics Roll Over Beethoven and Johnny B. Goode.

He received a lifetime achievement Grammy in 1984 and was among the first inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

In a statement on Facebook, the St Charles County Police Department said they were called to reports of an unresponsive man at 12:40 local time (17:40 GMT).

"Unfortunately, the 90-year-old man could not be revived and was pronounced deceased at 1:26pm," the statement continued.

"The St. Charles County Police Department sadly confirms the death of Charles Edward Anderson Berry Sr., better known as legendary musician Chuck Berry."

Berry was born in St Louis, Missouri, in 1926, and had his first hit Maybellene in 1955.

Last year, he announced he would be releasing his first album in nearly four decades. He dedicated it to his wife of 68 years, Themetta "Toddy".
      Comment: RIP a fantastic performer.

I am sure that other members will have their favourites. The following tracks represent a couple of his early hits and one that was full of humour. I try to keep to 3 videos per post as some devices can't cope when more than that re included.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Probably had an influence somewhere for much of the music we love or have lived through.
      Cannot say I ever owned a record or played his own music, but certainly did see the influence.

dog-man likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Death of a murderer

Surprised no one has flagged up the death of Martin McGuinness, mass murderer come politician.
      Martin McGuinness, NI's former deputy first minister, dies age 66 - BBC News

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Death of a murderer

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Surprised no one has flagged up the death of Martin McGuinness, mass murderer come politician.
      Martin McGuinness, NI's former deputy first minister, dies age 66 - BBC News
      The world is a happier place today.

Thanks

Colin Dexter, creator of Inspector Morse, dies aged 86

Colin Dexter, creator of Inspector Morse, dies aged 86 - BBC News
      Colin Dexter, who wrote the Inspector Morse books, has died at the age of 86.

His publisher said in a statement on Tuesday: "With immense sadness, MacMillan announces the death of Colin Dexter who died peacefully at his home in Oxford this morning."

His series of 13 Morse novels, written between 1975 and 1999, were adapted for the long-running ITV series, which starred John Thaw.
      Dexter's characters also featured in spin-off shows Lewis and Endeavour.

'Sharpest mind, biggest heart'

He wrote his first Morse novel, Last Bus to Woodstock, in 1975 while on holiday in Wales. The fictional detective was then killed off in the final book, The Remorseful Day.

Inspector Morse and Lewis star Kevin Whately said: "When I first met Colin Dexter in 1986, his doctors had warned him that, as a diabetic, his life expectancy was short. So I'm very grateful to have had 30 years of his warm friendship and 30 years of his wonderful plots, characters and storytelling."

Maria Rejt, Dexter's most recent editor at MacMillan, said the author had "inspired all those who worked with him", adding: "His loyalty, modesty and self-deprecating humour gave joy to many. His was the sharpest mind and the biggest heart, and his wonderful novels and stories will remain a testament to both."

Kevin Lygo, director of television at ITV, said Inspector Morse was "one of the nation's best-loved shows", with Thaw's "irascible detective with a love for crosswords, real ale and classical music" becoming one of the most popular characters of all time.

"Through 33 feature length stories, the casebook of Morse and Lewis changed the landscape of detective drama," he said.

Dexter worked closely behind the scenes of the show and later became a consultant on Lewis, the sequel starring Whately which ran for nine years.

He was also "one of the key creative forces" behind prequel Endeavour - the inspector's first name - which saw Shaun Evans appear as the young Morse.

Lygo said: "ITV is very grateful to Colin for bringing so much joy to the audience over the years and the world of Inspector E Morse will live forever."

MacMillan's publisher Jeremy Trevathan added that Dexter's death represented a "tectonic shift in the international crime writing scene".

He said: "Colin represented the absolute epitome of British crime writing, and in the 1990s John Thaw's Inspector Morse took over Wednesday night television. He was one of those television characters who the nation took to their hearts. This is a very sad day for us all."

Fellow crime writers paid tribute on Twitter.

Lynda La Plante said of the late author: "Colin Dexter, a masterful writer and storyteller who entertained millions of readers."

Ian Rankin said:
      "Sad news - a gentle man with a steel mind; and the creator of such an iconic character..."

Val McDermid said:
      "Deeply sorry to hear of the death of my good friend Colin Dexter. He brought pleasure to millions and joy to his friends."

'A large Glenfiddich'

Norman Colin Dexter was born in 1930 in Stamford, Lincolnshire, and studied classics at Cambridge University.

He worked as a Latin and Greek teacher from 1954 to 1966 before moving to Oxford - where he set the Morse stories - to become a full-time writer.

Carlton Productions made 33 Morse TV films with Thaw in the lead role. Dexter himself made many cameo appearances.

Dexter had type 2 diabetes, a condition that he also gave Morse in the last few books of the series.

When Dexter received an OBE for services to literature in 2000, he said he would have liked to have thought his fictional detective would have bought him a celebratory whisky.

"I think Morse, if he had really existed and was still alive, would probably say to me, 'Well, you didn't do me too bad a service in your writing'.

"He might say, 'I wish you'd made me a slightly less miserable blighter and slightly more generous, and you could have painted me in a little bit of a better light'.

"If he had bought me a drink, a large Glenfiddich or something, that would have been very nice, but knowing him I doubt he would have done - Lewis always bought all the drinks."

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast