Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

R. I. P. (2017)

This is a discussion on R. I. P. (2017) within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Unless the state owns the press it is impossible to muzzle it, and in the case of the USA and ...

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: R. I. P. (2017)

Unless the state owns the press it is impossible to muzzle it, and in the case of the USA and UK doubly so.

Mr Trump will come to regret the way he has dealt with the American media and his security services. Those are the ones you want on your side.

Impeachment I hear you say... it will happen or the pope's not catholic.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: R. I. P. (2017)- Mary Tyler Moore

Mary Tyler Moore passed away at the age of 80 in the company of friends and her loving husband of over 33 years, Dr. S. Robert Levine," she said. "A groundbreaking actress, producer, and passionate advocate for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Mary will be remembered as a fearless visionary who turned the world on with her smile."

Mary Tyler Moore, beloved TV actress, dies at 80 - CNN.com

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Sir John Hurt: Bafta-winning actor dies aged 77

Sir John Hurt: Bafta-winning actor dies aged 77 - BBC News
      Veteran actor Sir John Hurt has died aged 77, his agent has said.The Bafta-winning star, known for his roles in Alien and The Elephant Man, continued working despite being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2015.

He recently starred as Father Richard McSorley in Jackie, the biopic of President John F. Kennedy's wife.

US director Mel Brooks described Sir John as "cinematic immortality", as tributes poured in for the star.

He was given the all-clear in October 2015 but last year pulled out of play The Entertainer due to ill-health.

Sir John decided not to perform as Billy Rice in Sir Kenneth Branagh's production on the advice of his doctors.

Brooks paid tribute to Sir John, who had starred in his comedy Spaceballs, saying on Twitter: "No one could have played The Elephant Man more memorably."

He added: "He carried that film into cinematic immortality. He will be sorely missed."

Stephen Fry praised Sir John for being "great on the stage, small screen and big".

Lord of the Rings star Elijah Wood said: "It was such an honor to have watched you work, sir."

British actor Alfred Molina said Sir John was "a gloriously talented actor, one of the best, of this or any era."

Obituary: 'The mulberry of my mind'

John Hurt was one of Britain's best-known and most versatile actors.

He was born on 22 January, 1940 in Chesterfield in Derbyshire. Over six decades, he appeared in more than 120 films as well as numerous stage and television roles.

He went to St Martin's School of Art in London before gaining a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1960.

The death of his character in the film Alien has often been voted as one of cinema's most memorable moments.

The film critic and historian Geoff Andrew once asked Hurt how he managed to regularly turn in such memorable performances.

"The only way I can describe it is that I put everything I can into the mulberry of my mind and hope that it is going to ferment and make a decent wine," he said.

"How that process happens, I'm sorry to tell you I can't describe."

Read more about Sir John Hurt's life here
      Sir John was knighted in 2015 for his services to drama.

After his diagnosis the same year, he told the Radio Times: "I can't say I worry about mortality, but it's impossible to get to my age and not have a little contemplation of it.

"We're all just passing time, and occupy our chair very briefly."

He has performed as the deformed Joseph Merrick in The Elephant Man as well as wand-maker Mr Ollivander in the Harry Potter films.

In 2013 he appeared in Doctor Who as the War Doctor, a hitherto unseen incarnation of the character.

He has been married to Anwen Rees Meyers, a former actress and classical pianist, for 12 years.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

For me his acting over the years has been a mixture of hit and miss, with some memorable performances.
      I think he is a rare actor in that he has played so many different roles, some worked some did not.
      He obviously had the famous scene in Alien, before the days of cgi. It was a good film too with many great acting performances. He was great too in 1984.
      His brief appearance as the War Doctor in Doctor Who was not for me, but that was more for the script and he failed for me too in the last Indiana film.
      I recently watched The Last panthers, which did not seem to work for him, but the writing was all over the place for that series.
      But he has been busy in film and television and he certainly gave his all for many performances.
      Never knew he was knighted.

Thanks

Whilst his acting talents have been applauded, his distinctive voice has always been good to hear as well.

The variety of work he has taken would be too much to list here, but here are some of the highlights in no particular order:

John Merrick, The Elephant Man
      Gilbert Kane, Alien
      Winston Smith, 1984
      The Great Dragon, Merlin
      Hazel, Watership Down (Film)
      General Woundwort, Watership Down (TV Series)
      Caligula, I, Claudius
      Quentin Crisp, The Naked Civil Servant
      Control, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
      Garrick Ollivander, Harry Potter
      Bird' O'Donnell, The Field
      Max, Midnight Express
      Timothy John Evans, 10 Rillington Place

Of course this list does not include any stage performances.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Blimey.. I've lost count already and we're not at the end of January yet.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Former BBC chairman Sir Christopher Bland dies

Former BBC chairman Sir Christopher Bland dies - BBC News
      British businessman and former BBC chairman Sir Christopher Bland has died, aged 78.

Sir Christopher was chairman of the BBC board of governors between 1996 and 2001.

He also held a number of senior roles in business, including chairman of BT, and was head of the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC).

His son, Archie, said: "He was as sweet and gentle and wise as he was tough and bold and brave."

BBC director general Tony Hall said: "Sir Christopher Bland was an outstanding chairman of the BBC. He was a great communicator who both understood the creativity of broadcasting as well as the business of it.

"He was hugely admired and will be greatly missed."

In a statement, Sir Christopher's family said he had died peacefully at home, having defied cancer for three years.

The statement continued: "He relished every day of his life, and to those that loved him he is irreplaceable. We're enormously proud of everything he achieved, from steering the BBC through tough times to his late flowering as a novelist, and we'll miss him more than we can say."

Sir Christopher, who also spent time as head of London Weekend Television (LWT), spoke out in support of the BBC on a number of occasions after he left the corporation.

Two years ago, he criticised the government for transferring the funding of free licence fees for the over-75s to the BBC, saying it was "the worst form of dodgy Whitehall accounting".

In 2008, when Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand were suspended from the BBC for leaving lewd messages on actor Andrew Sachs's phone, Sir Christopher said "the meal that those who are not natural lovers of the BBC have made out of it all is excessive".

'Passionate and playful'

After leaving the BBC, he became chairman of BT, turning the company around at a time when its senior management had come under sustained criticism from investors.

Between 2004 and 2011 he was chairman of the RSC, overseeing a £112m re-development of the company's home in Stratford-upon-Avon.

When he left, artistic director Michael Boyd said: "If the RSC is in good shape now, it is in large part due to the expert, passionate and playful chairmanship of Sir Christopher Bland."

Archie Bland reported his father's death on Twitter, ending his message with the words, "God I'll miss him".

BBC News presenter Huw Edwards offered his sympathy, writing that "at the BBC many of us remember him as an exemplary chairman".

Master of Selwyn College, Cambridge, and former head of BBC News and BBC Sport Roger Mosey said: "[He] was the best BBC chairman in recent times. Tough, independent, wise and fair."

BBC media editor Amol Rajan wrote: "Christopher Bland is just about the most kind, impressive and inspirational man I ever met.

"Goodbye hero. I commend his spirit to the living."

Sir Christopher is survived by his wife Lady Jennifer, his son and his four step-children.

Thanks

Richard Hatch, Star Of Battlestar Galactica, Dies At 71

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...ctica-dies-71/
      Golden Globe nominated actor Richard Hatch, whose career spanned nearly a half-decade, today passed into eternity while surrounded by family and friends after an extended illness. Best known as Captain Apollo in the 1978 original Battlestar Galactica, and then as Tom Zarek in the 2003 re-imagined version, His career started with a stint on All My Children in 1971 as Philip Brent, and put in appearances on series ranging from Hawaii Five-O to The Streets of San Francisco to Baywatch. In more recent years Richard has been featured in a range of independent productions.

In the decades after the original Battlestar Galactica, he had gone on to write a number of novels in the same universe and developed a short film, Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming. Original BSG series actors John Colicos (Baltar), Terry Carter (Col. Tigh) and Jack Stauffer (Bojay) appeared in the trailer alongside Hatch. His various projects were an effort to keep the interest around the franchise alive and to try to convince Universal to revisit the series.

Richard hadn’t intended to wind up as an actor, he’d often said that it wasn’t something that had occurred to him because he was too shy and insecure. His dream before he discovered the stage was to become an Olympic pole vaulter. When an English class was overbooked in college, he wound up enrolling in an oral interpretation class instead. “It turned out to be my worst nightmare, because I had to get up in front of people and read.” he says, laughing. “I found myself flunking the course because I would choke up. I could hardly open my mouth.” Over time he managed to overcome his fears, and now helps new actors by offering acting workshops in the Los Angeles area as well as during his annual convention circuit. His classes were lauded for their ability to bring new actors out of their shells, and for helping tune skills of more experienced performers. One reviewer commented about Richard and his workshop:

Richard Hatch is a man of many gifts, not the least of which is uncanny insight into an actor’s true potential and how we get in our own way and block that potential. Richard is both very tough and very compassionate. In just six months of working together, Richard has coaxed performances out of me that I never would have dreamed possible.
      Even though it’d now been nearly eight years since the ending of the re-imagined Galactica series, he had continued to host annual Battlestar Galactica panels at the San Diego Comic-Con and DragonCon, where fans would listen to his stories of the series, and of his continued enthusiasm and encouragement for its future.

Richard is survived by a son, Paul.

So say we all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

dog-man (08-02-17)

Thanks

Twin Peaks actor Warren Frost dies at 91

Twin Peaks actor Warren Frost dies at 91 - BBC News

Warren Frost, star of US television series Twin Peaks, has died aged 91.

The actor, who played Dr Will Hayward, also had roles in comedy show Seinfeld and legal drama Matlock.

Long before finding fame, he served in the US Navy and took part in the D-Day landings during World War Two.

His death came after a long illness, said his son Mark Frost, who was Twin Peaks' co-creator. "We're saddened today to announce the passing of our dear old dad," he said.

In Twin Peaks, Mr Frost's character played crucial part in discovering the body of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee), whose murder is investigated through the series.

He also features in the long-awaited Twin Peaks sequel, which is set to premiere in May.

In Seinfeld, he had a regular role as Mr Ross, the father of George Costanza's fiancee Susan.

Paying tribute to his father, his son added: "From the Normandy shores on D-Day to his 50-year career on stage and screen, he remained the same humble guy from Vermont who taught us that a life devoted to telling the right kind of truths can make a real difference in the lives of others."

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Neil Fingleton, Game of Thrones star and UK's tallest man, dies aged 36

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...n-dies-aged-36

The actor, who played Mag the Mighty and also appeared in X-Men, is reported to have suffered from heart failure

Game of Thrones
      star Neil Fingleton has died at the age of 36, it has been reported.

Once named as Britain’s tallest man, the 7ft 7in star played Mag the Mighty in the fantasy series and also took on roles in X-Men: First Class and Jupiter Ascending.

According to reports, he passed away following heart failure on Saturday.

A statement posted on the Tall Persons Club group Facebook page on Sunday read: “Sadly it has come to our attention that Neil Fingleton, Britain’s Tallest Man, passed away on Saturday.

“Neil became Britain’s Tallest Man in 2007 passing the height of Chris Greener.

“Neil started off in basketball in the USA before becoming an actor and starring in the X-men first class and also recently in the Game of Thrones. Our thoughts and condolences go out to his family.”

Tributes have started appearing on social media.

Game of Thrones fan Gary Windle tweeted a picture of himself with the actor and wrote: “Rip to the giant that is Neil Fingleton, Mag the Mighty, Game of Thrones, rest in peace mate, gutted.”

Paul Nilsen posted: “RIP Neil Fingleton – basketball player and Game Of Thrones actor. Just 36 years old. Thoughts with his family & friends [a Durham lad as well].”

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast