Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

What is Your Favourite TV Show?

This is a discussion on What is Your Favourite TV Show? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Scrubs NCIS Top Gear QI...

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What is Your Favourite TV Show?

Scrubs
      NCIS
      Top Gear
      QI
      John
      View My Flickr

2. Advertisement
      lucyinthesky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers
      favourite of all time has to be

stargate SG1
      +1

apart from that I love
      Doctor Who
      Scrubs
      My Name is Earl

and Family Guy is great when I just want to veg out on my couch, eat sweets and not think.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Fringe,Game Of Thrones

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Ooh, here we go, have a few

Smallville (own the most of the series)
      Stargate SG1 (own the box set)
      Stargate Atlantis (own the box set)
      Stargate Universe
      Spooks (own the box set)
      Blue Bloods
      The Vampire Diaries
      True Blood
      Buffy The Vampire Slayer (own the box set)
      Angel (own the box set)
      Friends (own the box set)
      Married With Children (own the box set)
      Only Fools And Horses (own the box set)
      Firefly (own the box set - why was this cancelled?!?!?)
      The Inbetweeners
      Top Gear

As you can see I'm a bit of a sci-fi fan and have a big collection
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      Firefly (own the box set - why was this cancelled?!?!?)
      It was cancelled, because of it's low rating and FOX wanted to focus their attention of Dark Angel. Which got cancelled shortly after Firefly was.

Jeco is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

30 Rock
      Arrested development
      Better off Ted

maan I tell ya all the good shows get cancelled after a while...

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It should be noted that Firefly's low ratings were due to Fox putting in on a Friday night slot; a time slot known as "graveyard" because it's a very low-rated slot. The majority of people under 30 aren't home. The majority of people over 30 aren't watching Fox...unless they're over 65 and watch F(au)xNews like it's a religion. But Fox is also famous for giving shows one week to get high ratings and giving it the boot afterwards. Firefly didn't finish it's run of 14 episodes when it first ran, and there are countless shows I can remember where Fox gave them virtually no time in the worst possible timeslot. Take Futurama for example, that was scheduled for a time-slot i the 7pm hour on Sunday. This is probably worse of a timeslot than Friday/Sat. nights because you're going to get preempted by football and auto-racing. So you never know when the show is on, how late it's going to be; I mean, most of the fans of the show missed the second season because they never announced when it was on. They'd do things like move it to 11:30 Sunday night becuase football went over...and no one knew when it was on. Fox canceled it due to "low ratings"; even though the low ratings were brought on by an irregular unpublished schedule.

Same happened to Family Guy, Fox kept moving the timezones it seemed monthly...and it was easy to get lost. But then it went in to syndication on cable during Cartoon Network's late night block [adult swim] (which you guys don't have); and reruns of Futurama and Family Guy literally made that programming block. Fox released the DVD's with little to no advertising and were shocked to find out they sold like crazy. *THATS* when they realized maybe they should bring that back.

But it's commonly known over here that if a show is really good out of the gate, it likely won't get picked up. Networks only pick up that reality BS that appeals to the lowest-common-denominator in the lowest-class of citizens. That's what sells, that's all the care about.

As far as American shows....all the decent ones got canceled before they got going. Too many to recall; The Simpsons and Family guy are the only two shows "still active" that I actually bother to record. I watched Scrubs for about a year when it was in syndication...I loved Star Trek TNG and Voyager...but neither of the others. I've seen so many shows come and go I only remember what's on my planner..which right now is Simpsons, Family Guy, In Living Color and Hogan's Heros...since I was flipping through the non HD channels in a rare move and found someone airing them. I won't count Are You Being Served? since that's not a US show...but it's one of my favorites.

The stuff I've discovered on Sky is a different story, and maybe I'm being nice and giving some of that stuff more of a chance than I do shows over here (which is none if you haven't been able to tell.) Road Wars was just addictive when I first discovered it...I enjoy cop shows like that so that's one I'm watching late in the evening over here (yes, I watch your late-night TV at 9pm). I've watched a few other cop shows from other there, they're either clip shows focusing mainly on US clips or I don't enjoy them as much as I do Road Wars. Top Gear is just fantastic and the new series is great! It's nice being able to watch it a week ahead of it airing over here. There were a couple of sitcoms on Gold I caught last night that were OK...although at that point its background nose. I don't really like game shows....but I have watched Total Wipeout and Catchphrase. Caught an episode of Bruce's Price Is Right. What a riot! The one show that I've absolutely fallen in love with is Mrs Browns Boys...that has to be the funniest thing I've seen on TV anywhere at any point in my life. I laugh so hard while watching it, I begin to hurt. If they ever brought it over here it'd be so edited for TV it wouldn't be funny.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

I guess that is one huge advantage of Sky TV.

If you are really interested in Sport, then get the Sports pack, with the dedicated ports channels. Sky1, Sky Living and Sky Atlantic can worry about entertaining people with other content. The Fox channel over here just sticks with entertainment too, along with many other channels. The 4 terrestrial broadcasters tend to have more of a mixture of content and often the sport will over run on those when it is shown.

Half the fun of Mrs Brown's Boys is the faux language as well as the situation comedy. I do know one person who refuses to watch it though, purely because of Brendan O'Carroll's character. They really don't know what they are missing.

What is Your Favourite TV Show?-348540.jpg

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you are really interested in Sport, then get the Sports pack, with the dedicated ports channels. Sky1, Sky Living and Sky Atlantic can worry about entertaining people with other content. The Fox channel over here just sticks with entertainment too, along with many other channels. The 4 terrestrial broadcasters tend to have more of a mixture of content and often the sport will over run on those when it is shown.

Half the fun of Mrs Brown's Boys is the faux language as well as the situation comedy. I do know one person who refuses to watch it though, purely because of Brendan O'Carroll's character. They really don't know what they are missing.
      The only sports I actually watch is American football when it's in season; and occasionally golf, tennis or auto-racing. I don't actually watch much sports-wise. I do know the Sky box I'm sharing already has the movies and sports package; of course it's a two-way share so they have access to all my programming...which includes just about everything. I generally stick to entertainment. All of our terrestrial networks generally run both sports and entertainment....they all have thier own sports division. Fox is probably one of the larger sports carriers over here, even larger than ESPN. They've had regional sports packages for most of the US for well over 10 years...although they mostly bought independent sports networks. They recently launched not one...but two national sports only channels. When sports are showed on terrestiral networks here; they too get priority. There was an infamous incident during a game between rivals that ran over the alloted time and the network president couldn't get through to control to tell them to postpone the 7pm movie; because at the time...sports were secondary to scheduled programming. It wound up causing so much of an issue they installed special dedicated phones to prevent the breakdown, eventually giving priority to sporting events...automatically preempting scheduled programming.

As far as the faux language...it sounds close enough to me that I'm pretty sure the networks would bleep it. I'm not sure if the eck version of the f-bomb is considered less offensive than the actual form...I think it's close enough over here it's banned where "friggin" or "freakin" are perfectly censor-approved. I had to turn on captio-sorry..subtitles once just to find out what was actually being said. Still, close enough to me and I'm pretty sure a few of them aren't the eck version. Still...funny funny stuff.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I currently like:

Chicago PD - ropey but better than Blue Bloods.
      Lost Girl - daft but, hey, watch it you'll see the other distractions - in fact to quote wikipedia " It follows the life of a bisexual succubus " heh-heh!
      Supernatural - still good most weeks.
      The Good Wife - best (only?) legal drama on tv for last few years - not the most serious.
      The Mentalist - struggling a bit.
      CSI - this is getting binned if it doesn't improve A LOT soon.
      The Blacklist - stupid but entertaining.
      Almost Human - good.
      Arrow - getting better if you like the DC Universe.
      Blue Bloods - was poor now Okay - has been binned then I go back to it a bit later.
      Castle - last series was poor, but I'm enjoying this series.
      Grimm - much, much better than it seemed at the start.
      Helix - it's on CH5 but it's been okay, though have only watched up to Ep3.
      Homeland - almost certainly getting binned next year but I like Carrie and Saul.
      House of Lies - not sure on S3, it has been really good so far, might be heading for the bin.
      Marvel's Agents of Shield - good first episode - terrible after that - keep watching hoping it get's good.
      Modern Family - still funny.
      Revolution - I don't know why but still watching - getting better.
      Sons Of Anarchy - (over 6 series) good then bad then terrible - been better since but so annoying and stupid!
      South Park - consistently brilliant.
      Walking Dead - love this.
      The Bridge S2 - best thing recently.
      The Daily Show - consistently the best show on tv - even better with John Oliver through the last summer.
      Real Time with Bill Maher - funny irreverent view of US politics.
      The Big Bang Theory - still my favourite US sitcom.
      True Blood - apparently it's a girls show! but I still like it.
      Ray Donovan - like the first series.
      Hannibal - much better than The Following.
      19-2 Canada - just started this and it's okay.
      Salamander - seems okay so far.

There are others but these are current or recent.

I Don't watch any of these on Sky though since the adverts are so annoying.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast