Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

This is what happens when the BBC has no money

This is a discussion on This is what happens when the BBC has no money within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by sdd Hope Not Have they learnt how to play there instruments then? has i remember them in ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: This is what happens when the BBC has no money

Quote Originally Posted by sdd View Post
      Hope Not

Have they learnt how to play there instruments then? has i remember them in the 70s they was jumping up and down all over the places with there guitars and then it came to light they couldn't even play a note on them
      .................................................. ...
      That was a bit of a myth, put around by jealous competitors south of the border. They played hundreds of live 'gigs'. How could they do that without playing their instruments? The myth took root when it was revealed that they used professional musicians for their studio recordings, which was the practise of most bands in these days and probably even now. Eric Faulkener who wrote or co-wrote many of their hits played violin/viola in a Scottish youth orchestra, not exactly a musical ignoramus. They were far more proficient musically than many of the so called 'boy bands' who followed them.

As a footnote, I never was a BCR fan, I always thought they were strictly for the girls.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

And they never had auto-tune either...

Still does not alter the fact they should have retired gracefully a long time ago, however each to thier own.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I was not to far out this was From there manager

Paton says it was his dream to be a big star, and when he realised it was unlikely to happen he settled for second best - becoming a famous svengali. He claims that most of the band couldn't play their instruments properly and performed on few of their records. "They had absolutely no musical ability, but people went crazy for them. I took a drummer friend to see them one night, and he came away and said, 'What the **** was that? How did that lot get such a reaction?' I said to him, 'They are five pairs of tight jeans and big hairy ******** hanging out at the front', and he said, 'Thank Christ for that, because you'd never give them a contract on musical ability.'"

Have a read quite good.

Simon Hattenstone investigates the Bay City Rollers | Music | The Guardian

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think anything Tam Paton says should be taken with a pinch of salt. Whether it was criminal or just his naivety, he cost the Rollers millions.

Just a couple of quotes from the article to balance things a bit-
      "Tam Paton was constantly, constantly, constantly ramming the concept that women were dirty fish, dirty, smelly fish, you don't want any of them, you want to be one of the boys, look at all these people who are successful and gay, and he'd say, that's how you do it in this business blah blah blah, that's how you get good proper friends

He talks about how Paton would work them to the bone, and how he'd bring in young men, in their early 20s, to manage them in Europe even though they had no experience in the business. "There was a 24-year-old boy supposed to be managing us in Germany, and he didn't have a clue. But Tam was coming on to him, and he was more interested in that."
      Alan Longmuir, one of the original Rollers is a plumber in my town and drinks at my local, although I have never met him. He is just an ordinary punter as far as the pub's clients are concerned.

I think we must remember that these were young 17-18 year old lads from lowly backgrounds, thrown into show business with little idea what they were getting into. Maybe we should cut them a bit of slack.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12