Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree2Likes

TalkTalk hacked

This is a discussion on TalkTalk hacked within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; The American's will feel justified in reporting the news like that as technically they are a telecommunications provider. However I ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: TalkTalk hacked

The American's will feel justified in reporting the news like that as technically they are a telecommunications provider. However I doubt that they would refer to AT&T in a similar manner.

As for the advert, I guess someone in TalkTalk's marketing department didn't consider it worth pulling their ads for the present time.

Still they shares fell by 11% yesterday. Unless they can plug the gap and prevent this from happening again, I would expect something worse ahead.

This is TalkTalk's 3rd hack and people are already reporting that they've had malicious phone calls asking for more personal information.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The spokesperson on the news yesterday said that talktalk will be providing all customers with free credit rating checks for 1 year.

Which is nice of them.

Thanks

If you are interested and want to do this for yourself, check out the Experian site. If you sign up for the free month you'll be given the opportunity to have a similar service for yourself. Of course you'll need to pay if you want to keep it for any following months, but it could be useful.

As for TalkTalk customers whose details have now been taken, I would consider this kind of an essential offer. I understand that it won't be through the Experian or 'Credit Expert' website though.

Even if you're not specifically looking for a means to gain credit, it could be very useful to check out the site above.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

It's now being reported on the news that some TT customers are reporting finding their bank accounts emptied.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

BBC Radio 4 - Money Box, Cyber Attack on TalkTalk; HMRC Refund Delays
      Discussion about the Talk Talk hack on BBC Radio4 Money Box.
      Despite the data breach Talk Talk are holding customers to their contracts or charging them excessive amounts to leave.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I think TT could find that they themselves are in breach of contract as they have a duty of care regarding customer details; holding a customer to thier contract when they themselves have breached it might be costly for TT.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

I have already had a chat with one friend who used to be with TalkTalk, just in case, but now it seems to be official...

TalkTalk hack: Former customers warned they could be affected by cyber attack - Telegraph

Basically if you know anyone who might be vulnerable to a scam, have a friendly chat with them. Let them know what these people can do and ask them to make a note beside the phone so that they don't fall for any of them.

Everyone should be checking their bank balance regularly and ensure that no further details are accidentally given away.

I know that this upsets anyone calling me, but I play hard ball. If I'm not expecting a call from a company I always ask who they are and for some kind of proof that they are from that company BEFORE I confirm any personal information about myself.

This often leaves the phone call in a kind of stalemate as they refuse to answer the questions without first being sure that they are talking to me and insist that I provide them with the security information they need to proceed.

Tough!

If I'm not expecting their call, then I want to be sure that I am talking to a legitimate source, not some hacker. Remember they called me.

Something else to think about...

Where is all the money going?

There is a lot happening in the news at the moment. Could it be that much of the money being harvested from the many scams is going to terrorism?

Thanks

Boy, 15, arrested in Northern Ireland over TalkTalk hack

Boy, 15, arrested in Northern Ireland over TalkTalk hack - BBC News
      A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in Northern Ireland over the TalkTalk hacking attack, Scotland Yard has said.

In a statement, Metropolitan Police said a house had been searched in County Antrim on Monday afternoon at about 16:20 GMT.

The boy was arrested on suspicion of Computer Misuse Act offences.

He has been taken into custody at Antrim police station and is being questioned by detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

A search of the address is ongoing and inquiries continue.

The statement said this was a joint investigation involving the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), and detectives from the Metropolitan Police Cyber Crime Unit (MPCCU).

News that the TalkTalk website had been hit by a "significant and sustained cyber-attack" broke last Wednesday.

The phone and broadband provider, which has over four million UK customers, said banking details and personal information could have been accessed.

A criminal investigation was launched on Thursday.

The company said it did not know how much of their customer information had been encrypted.

Business leaders have called for urgent action
      to tackle cyber crime in the wake of the TalkTalk attack.

On Monday, MPs said an inquiry would be launched into the cyber-attack that could have put customers' details at risk.

Culture minister Ed Vaizey told the House of Commons the government was not against compulsory encryption for firms holding customer data.

Shares in the telecoms company fell more than 12% in Monday trading, extending its losses from last week, when news of the attack first emerged.

TalkTalk has said the cyber-attack was "smaller" than originally thought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123