Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mastercard and Visa to kill off password authentication

This is a discussion on Mastercard and Visa to kill off password authentication within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Mastercard and Visa to kill off password authentication - Telegraph Mastercard and Visa have announced plans to kill off the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Mastercard and Visa to kill off password authentication

Mastercard and Visa to kill off password authentication - Telegraph
      Mastercard and Visa have announced plans to kill off the need for users to enter their passwords to confirm their identity

Mastercard and Visa have announced plans to ditch the need for customers to enter passwords as a means of confirming their identity.

Current systems – MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa – are both based on the 3D Secure protocol, which was developed by Visa to reduce fraudulent credit and debit card transactions online.

It works by forcing people to enter a password into a pop-up window, so that the card issuer can confirm their identity before the transaction completes.

Retailers have been encouraged to adopt the protocol as it reduces the number of fraudulent chargebacks – money returned to the consumer from the retailer due to a fraudulent card transaction.

However, it is unpopular with online shoppers, because it requires them to use complex passwords that are easy to forget, and it can be difficult to tell whether the pop-ups themselves are legitimate or fraudulent.

Passwords are also inherently vulnerable, as they are repeatedly used for authentication and can often be discovered via social media or other means, rendering the consumer subject to fraudulent transactions.

Mastercard and Visa's new 'invisible' authentication system, called 3D Secure 2.0, aims to tackle some of these issues by reducing the reliance on passwords as a means of verifying identity.

In the event that authentication is needed, cardholders will be able to identify themselves with the likes of one-time passwords or fingerprint biometrics, rather than committing static passwords to memory.

Mastercard is also piloting commercial tests for facial and voice recognition apps to authenticate cardholders, and conducting trials of a wristband which authenticates a cardholder through their unique cardiac rhythm.

“All of us want a payment experience that is safe as well as simple, not one or the other," said Ajay Bhalla, president of enterprise security solutions at MasterCard.

"We want to identify people for who they are, not what they remember. We have too many passwords to remember and this is creates extra problems for consumers and businesses."

The new 3D Secure 2.0 protocol could be adopted in 2015 and it is hoped that it will gradually replace the current 3D Secure protocol.

Commenting on the news, Marta Janus, security researcher at Kaspersky Lab, said that – if implemented properly – the new protocol will not only be more convenient for users, but also much more secure.

"It’s pretty well known that passwords are severely flawed: weak ones are easy to remember and easy to guess; strong ones are hard to guess, but hard to remember," she said.

"One time passwords are already widely used and considered much safer than traditional 'fixed' passwords ... combined with biometric checks, this will certainly make a strong alternative to any existing authentication method."

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Mastercard and Visa to kill off password authentication

My Visa cards used to ask me for a Password when verifying and as stated was very unpopular with me at least as I almost always forgot or typed it wrong and was always resetting it.
      But for a long time now when verifying I have not been asked for the password, so I wonder if this is old news.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

I did wonder, but it was only posted today, not edited.

I guess that I wasn't alone in having to remember a really long password with both capital and lower case letters, with numbers too. The fact that you are forced to use a password quite different from what you have used previously makes it harder still for many people.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Yes iI think this is old news as Halifax stopped doing this a while ago, you only get an extra form to fill in if the transaction is over a certain amount (not sure what the limit is) and even then it's not a password you need to remember, it just asks you for extra details to confirm your identity. Whilst Halifax still use 3D secure, (the 3D secure box still comes up but soon disappears again it doesn't ask you for any extra info now).

Not really sure how it works though?

AmEx have just started using a similar system now as well for online transactions.

Waiting for Apple Pay to launch in the UK here now as that also works for online transactions as well as for contactless terminals, using the biometric TouchID built into newer iPhones and iPads to help verify your identity.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I suspect that the card issuer can set the triggers for 3D secure. I've noticed that one of my cards only seems to trigger for the first couple of transactions with any particular retailer then stops forcing 3D secure (flashes up then bypasses). However, another card from a different issuer ALWAYS triggers no matter how often I use it with the same retailer. Drives me mad.