Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Eastbourne Airshow 2014

This is a discussion on Eastbourne Airshow 2014 within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I've loads more shots to go through and there are some nice ones, but I thought this might be nice ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Eastbourne Airshow 2014

I've loads more shots to go through and there are some nice ones, but I thought this might be nice for people to see before I go to bed...

FelixTCat likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Annie UK (17-08-14)

3. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Eastbourne Airshow 2014

That shot above is actually a full-frame picture of the two Lancasters. For those who aren't aware, the second flew over from Canada earlier this week and will be flying with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight for 60 different events.

After they flew over Lancashire ealier this week, together, the first show was at Eastbourne on Thursday. The weather was good then too. Friday's forecast wasn't good which is why I joined the crowds yesterday.

I'm still going through the pics. There are a few 'duff' ones which I'm disappointed with, but with over 3,000 pics, I should have a few nice ones .

This is one with a bit of comic value:

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-80657-cropped.jpg

Two Gnats (one in Red Arrows colours, the other I'm not sure) meet a Seagull.

I was have a few issues focusing on the Red Arrows so let's just say that I'm "upset" with this picture:

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-70855-cropped.jpg

However this one was a lot better:

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-80094-cropped.jpg

When counting the aircraft, be very careful. I see 9 Red Arrows in this picure:

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-70801-reduced.jpg

I had to check the next frame to ensure that it wasn't the camera playing up, but it wasn't. This is the same picture as above, but cropped to show just the aircraft. Take a look at the left.

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-70801-cropped.jpg

Yes that IS two aircraft rather close together! In reality they are much further apart than the picture indicates.

I remembered to zoom out as the four Red Arrows passed in their 'Mirror Pass' formation:

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-70984-cropped.jpg

More to come later.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Good pics, Scubbie.

Taking photos with a sky background often upsets exposure settings. Some of those pics could be really enhanced by brightening up the shadows a little - increasing the exposure will burn out the blue background.

Thanks

I'll have a little play soon enough.

I have just reached the halfway point, having also helped go through my friend's pics.

I actually reduced the amount of light getting through to the pictures when I could (the camera defaulted to over-exposure) as the whites were often saturated.

What I did like about Eastbourne was the fact that the sun went around to the side then behind us, whereas with Southsea and Bournemouth the sun is in front of you all the time, placing the side of the planes that you see in constant shadow.

The picture with the Red Arrows close together above (70801) has the sun on their wings.

I have, just for you, played with the colours on the picture of the Lancaster below (she's called Vera). This is the one which was flown over from Canada.

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-90192-cropped.jpg

The focusing isn't quite 100%, but you can make out a lot of the detail in this one. I believe that that colours are deliberately dark underneath as the Lancasters were often used at night.

The next picture is of the Lancaster that is a part of the BBMF. They did mention her name but I've forgotten it and couldn't find it quickly.

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-90243-cropped.jpg

This next picture has just been cropped. I'm pleased with it. I trust others like it too:

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-90251-cropped.jpg

There are a variety of news stories. The one linked below has some nice pictures. In the first you can also see what I was saying about the dark paint on the underside, compared to the colours on top.

Historic visit to Biggin Hill of world's last two airworthy Lancaster bombers in pictures | Sevenoaks Chronicle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Annie UK (18-08-14)

Thanks

The detail's good. I tried to download that pic and enhance it but the download was only 135 Kb so it had already lost a lot of detail.

You're right that Lancaster's were black underneath because they were night bombers, but the colour was to make the crews feel better. When looking from underneath, the night sky is light in colour and tests showed that a better colour would be light grey (as later night fighters were).

Anyway, still good photos.

Thanks

Thank you. Sorry about the lack of detail though.

The source was 175kb. It looks like the forum software downgraded it a little more.

It was a cropped image. As much as the pics are nice, I didn't always zoom in right close to the aircraft to fill the frame. 90162 was taken at the max zoom of the lens I was using though. Looking back at a few of the others, yet to post, some were taken at around the halfway point (100mm).

The attached image is that of the Dakota from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. I haven't tweaked this one, only cropped out the excess Sky. The back edge of the wings appears to be a little out of focus. The may be a better image I have of the Dakota, I'm in the middle of them at the moment .

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-90397-cropped.jpg

BTW: Your comments welcome as I am working within the tolerances of the camera & lens, but also getting used to a new body. I purchased the Panasonic G5 a few months ago which is what I stuck with on Saturday. The Panasonic GF3 stayed in my bag but was ready as a spare. I actually wanted to bring out more of the blue in the Sky compared to when I was at the D-Day celebrations at Southsea.

I took some video footage too and intend to put it together and post it in due course. It shows the Lynx Helicopter better, also the Eurofighter display was impressive.

Thanks

You're lucky to be able to watch the airshow. Years ago I was down in Folkestone when they held their airshow and we watched not only the show but the practice beforehand. If you're interested, I can post some of the pics either here or on Flickr with a link.

With the G5 I think you can save pics in RAW mode as well as JPG. RAW pics still contain a lot of detail in shadows that is removed in the conversion to JPG. These days I save simultaneously in RAW and JPG so that I can manipulate the pics at my leisure later but can still see the good ones (relatively few!) straight away.

Anyway, great work!

Regards,

Felix

Thanks

By all means please feel free to share any photos on the forum or post a link. I am sure others would love to see them too.

Yes the G5 supports RAW but I found that the program supplied doesn't work with their own RAW files, but it does work with the GF3. I use PaintshopPro which does work with them, but it isn't the same.

Also I often use the function to take shots in rapid sequence. With RAW enabled the camera just wouldn't keep up, so for the G5 I've disabled RAW.

Yes RAW does allow you to get that extra bit of information but I had to do a little trade off somewhere. This is why I've been playing with the camera to get to know it better.

I'm also able to get that many more pictures on the memory card by sticking with jpg. With the short videos as well, I think I only had room for about another 1,500 pics.

I did use the very fast rapid at Southsea when I was watching the Red Arrows, but the pixel size was reduced. I was annoyed with myself for this. This time I checked to ensure that I was on the maximum resolution, which it was.

Still, I'm happy with them. Sure I need a little more practise and the videos might need a little tweaking yet (I've only looked at them briefly), but I'm hoping that they will be fine.

If anyone is interested there are two show on the last weekend of August down south. Bournemouth Air Festival is the one which gets a lot of publicity in this area, with it's sandy beaches and pier. The other is the Shoreham Airshow.

Whilst Shoreham requires tickets, you do get to see some of the aircraft on the ground, as well as a variety of other events which aren't at Bournemouth.

Some of the main aircraft make an appearance at both shows, but not all of them.

Both Airshows are good. I'll let people decide which, if any, they would prefer to see.

Thanks

By all means please feel free to share any photos on the forum or post a link. I am sure others would love to see them too.
      You asked for it!

For many years Folkestone held an annual air show to attract tourists, though more recently it has been cancelled because it was too expensive to run. We had a flat at Sandgate, about a mile west of Folkestone and the aircraft flew over us on their way to the display.

These photos were taken with an Olympus zoom camera with pretty low resolution, so I apologise for their quality. Hopefully, their "rarity" value will make up for this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schnau...7646215148439/

Let me know if there is a problem with the link.

Regards,

Felix
      Wireless

Thanks

Some very nice pictures there.

As you've implied, probably a few of those craft are sadly no longer flying.

Any way, thanks for the mods to the pictures. I've posted them below so that others can enjoy them too.

Eastbourne Airshow 2014-80094-cropped-v2.jpgEastbourne Airshow 2014-90192-cropped-v2.jpgEastbourne Airshow 2014-90243-cropped-v2.jpg

You've definitely brought out the detail in those Lancaster pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast