Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

How to stop your nuisance calls - Channel 4 Dispatches

This is a discussion on How to stop your nuisance calls - Channel 4 Dispatches within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Monday, 8pm. Dispatches - Channel 4 Although the show appears to be concerned with fund raising calls specifically, i thought ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

How to stop your nuisance calls - Channel 4 Dispatches

Monday, 8pm.
      Dispatches - Channel 4

Although the show appears to be concerned with fund raising calls specifically, i thought this might be worth highlighting as something worth a look.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: How to stop your nuisance calls - Channel 4 Dispatches

Registering with TPS does nothing. Only one sure fire way and that's disconnect your phone from the landline.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/stillgetcalls.html

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

TPS only stops unsolicited sales calls. Unfortunately the callers get round it by claiming to be 'marketing' calls, which TPS cannot stop. Typically 'Our agents are in your area doing a survey on new windows, kitchens. bathrooms, bedrooms, insulation, new gutters and facings', and so on would you like them to call on you. Or sometimes ' You have been awarded a voucher for £xxxx towards home improvements, what would you like to spend it on?' If I get a really persistent one, I say 'hold on, there someone at my door' and lay the phone down beside the TV and let them listen to the BBC news until they get fed up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

In the call centre I used to work in, we did Sky outbound calls (we have been moved to other companies as contracts have changed due to our experience with the product, which Sky wanted to keep) and we used to usually get given customers to call who had left in the previous 1-12 months to get them to return.

However, for a sustained period in roughly 2008-2009 we were given huge amounts of TPS opt-out customers who had left between 13 and 36 months previously to try to get them to return. The conversion rates expected were around 1-5% for these customer groups. These were not "fun" calls, I can certainly tell you, getting swore at most of the time and threatened with things.

The offers we had were really good for the time though, like new tv equipment AND 12 months half price AND up to £150 credit on the bill so the Sky was virtually free for about 7 months on full package.
      No wonder Sky has so many issues with customers expecting too much discount!

I have no idea if Sky still do this as it's other call centres who do outbound now.
      I don't think so, though, as I've not had any customers of this type call cancellations recently.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Thanks

So I watched the program and there wasn't really anything in it about nuisance calls or how to stop them.
      It was more of an expose of the dubious tactics charities are using to get money out of people.

carpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01474
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

TPS is useless and can do nothing even when you do provide them with the number of a nuisance cold caller.

We are regular monthly donators to two children's charity's one of which is constantly calling asking us to DOUBLE our monthly payment, not can you spare another pound or similar but can you double it,the other has never bothered us since the day i signed up to donate monthly and if the first does not stop pestering then i will stop their donation and add it to the other one

i also made a one off payment via my mobile to another charity and was then pestered on a daily basis to make it a regular monthly payment until i blocked the callers number,as a former chair of trustees for a charity i find the tactics employed by these private fundraising outfits at best questionable and at worst immoral.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I refuse to give anything to any phone charity. Like you we make monthly donations to two charities, direct to them and not through private fund raisers. I have no wish to contribute to some CEO's Lexus or BMW thank you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

We don't get any nuisance calls anymore, we were plagued with them.
      We bought a set of 4 cordless phones branded B.T. (Sky is our telephone provider) purely for the clear display and answering facility.
      Luckily they can be set to reject calls without ringing, from abroad, with no I.D. and any number that does ring you can then be set to be rejected in the future. There is a limit as to how many numbers can be rejected but we found that by the time that limit is reached the first one added to the list has stopped ringing and can be removed making way for the new one.
      We haven't had a nuisance call in 18 months now.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

There are also stand alone call blocker devices.

They seem to start at around £20 on amazon & i've been considering one for a while now.
      Not just for me but as gifts for my parents who are also plagued by the nonsense despite the ex-directory, tps etc.

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      We don't get any nuisance calls anymore, we were plagued with them.
      We bought a set of 4 cordless phones branded B.T. (Sky is our telephone provider) purely for the clear display and answering facility.
      Luckily they can be set to reject calls without ringing, from abroad, with no I.D. and any number that does ring you can then be set to be rejected in the future. There is a limit as to how many numbers can be rejected but we found that by the time that limit is reached the first one added to the list has stopped ringing and can be removed making way for the new one.
      We haven't had a nuisance call in 18 months now.
      ^ This. Just to confirm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast