Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Are Social Media sites too safe?

Voters
    4. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

0 0%
    • No

3 75.00%
    • Not sure

1 25.00%

Safety on the Internet

This is a discussion on Safety on the Internet within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Do you consider the current measures offered by the various social media sites to be suitable to protect everyone who ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Safety on the Internet

Do you consider the current measures offered by the various social media sites to be suitable to protect everyone who has access to the Internet?

Today Stan Collymore is publicising about the threats to his life and the racist abuse he received via Twitter and the lack of response both he and the Police received from Twitter.

BBC News - Stan Collymore: 'Twitter a vacuum for abuse'

Facebook has in the past also had many complaints about it relating to bullying and unsuitable pages dedicated to certain issues.

A group of people attacked Caroline Criado-Perez last year and two of them are due to be sentenced this Friday.

BBC News - Caroline Criado-Perez: 'I hope Twitter abusers will think twice'

Now the Aussie Government is under attack as they want to set up an e-Safety Commissioner to tackle bullying on social media sites in Australia. Many are complaining that this is an invasion on their freedom of speech.

Internet bullying: plan for a children's e-safety commissioner under fire | Technology | theguardian.com

Personally I prefer to think that whilst we Brits do have the freedom of speech, there is also the assumption that it comes with a responsibility and consequences should we say, write or do something which will cause offence or harm to someone else.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: Safety on the Internet

Many Brits do seem to have too much freedom of speech at times and loose all their self-control on social media, especially on FaceBook. Some of the abuse thrown at company Facebook pages is totally uncalled for. I'm sure most of them would not speak to the companies customer service lines like that, but they seem to think it's OK to do it on Facebook? Why? My guess is it's probably because they think social media is a faceless medium.

People don't seem to see social as a valid customer service channel though many companies are trying to use social media in this way now.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Personally I prefer to think that whilst we Brits do have the freedom of speech, there is also the assumption that it comes with a responsibility and consequences should we say, write or do something which will cause offence or harm to someone else.
      This is very dangerous ground, as it is just about impossible to know what might "offend" somebody. What is offensive to me may not be offensive to you. Similarly, offensive has to be taken in context; a basic example may be a description of mutilation, which may be offensive in direct terms but not when describing injuries in a clinical sense.

In this country we seem to have gome well over the top in trying to criminalise offensiveness. Nevertheless, if somebody makes a statement on social media that is criminal, then any social medium involved should cooperate with the police in finding the poster. But non-criminal "offence", no!
      Wireless

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Most UK firms are now employing the use of social media to allow people to get a degree of customer service. Whether it is on the telephone or via a keyboard, you are still communicating with a human being and as such, manners are still important.

Google have tried to change things by getting people to use their real names.

From what I saw on a live chat on their YouTube service though, I would say that they need to do even more work to block some people. The amount of foul language and racist comments being made was totally unacceptable in the comments feed beside the broadcast. As the broadcast was open to people across the planet and of all ages, they really do need to tidy things up there.

I am also concerned with the number of people of are bullied via the various social media sites. Bullies see it as a joke and something that the victim should move on from. However the victim sees it as threatening and potentially life threatening. Too many have committed suicide as a direct result.

The bullies don't learn from it and stop. They are often laughing their heads off, bragging about it with their mates and finding another dozen people to victimise.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms