Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Nelson Madella has died. Long live Madiba.

This is a discussion on Nelson Madella has died. Long live Madiba. within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; No doubt the news channels will be full of this story over the next few days, but it will be ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Nelson Madella has died. Long live Madiba.

No doubt the news channels will be full of this story over the next few days, but it will be a very sad day for his family.

The whole world has lost a remarkable human being.

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Nelson Madella has died. Long live Madiba.

Whilst the reason for his fight was a good and valid one, it does not make it right that he actually behaved as a terrorist and killed innocent people to achieve his aim.
      He did change tactics eventually, but the world does seem to have forgotten that innocent people were killed.

Racism is a terrible thing and a shame on mankind.

Thanks

I did not believe that Nelson Mandela had been directly involved in acts of terrorism or other violence.

From what I can recall and have double checked on Wiki (yes I know that there may be mistake or selective lapses of facts) Nelson Madella fought against Apartheid by using non-violent methods which resulted in him being imprisoned on several occasions.

Sure there were others who were a part of the ANC who risked violence, but this was changed when Nelson Mandella became their leader.

Whilst he was in prison there were many acts of violence but IMHO it was the political leaders in government who forced the violence with their unjust laws.

Perhaps what is most shocking is that the USA only took the ANC off it's terrorism watch list in 2008.

As for racism, I totally agree with you. It is wrong and a disgrace on mankind that it was ever allowed to take hold. Many societies across the globe still struggle with issues of racism and I would hope that one day they all end this issue.

Let us not forget though that there are seven strands recognised by the Equality Act and each of them should be equally respected.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

My understanding is that during his early years he did resort to violence which resulted in the deaths of innocent people.
      If I am wrong then I apologise, but I am sure I read that somewhere many years ago.

He did change dramatically into a sort of modern day Gandhi!

Just been watching some old news reels on the apartheid era with the police and army just whacking any black person they could get at. Disgusting, it makes me sick.

Sadly, there is still racism in this country and I think we always will as the human race is basically a tribal person and those that are not the same or not in their little club (religion) are regarded as different and that means they should not be liked or trusted.

I am human full stop and am no better than anyone else and nobody is better than me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      I am human full stop and am no better than anyone else and nobody is better than me!
      Certainly we can all make mistakes. It is how we deal with these mistakes that can improve us all.

As for behaving in a tribal manner, I do agree. You see it all the time in most villages, towns and cities. All too often groups will fight each other just because the live on opposite sides of a major road or someone supports a different team.

Sure it is healthy to support a team and to celebrate in their success, but IMHO it is not good when rivalries escalate onto the streets, into the work place or schools.

I mentioned that there are 7 strands in the Equality Act (2010). Religion is just one of them. All 7 should be treated with respect equally. We are all different and we all have strengths and weaknesses.

I have made many mistakes in the past. I choose not to go through them on this forum though as I do not think they are relevant. Having said that I do take steps to encourage those around me to treat others with respect, no matter what prejudices may have existed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I don't believe that deliberately killing innocent people should be regarded as a mistake.

It is my understanding that the Government offered to release him from prison many times during his long stay if he would make a statement denouncing terrorism. He refused so was not released.

Thanks

I stand corrected....

BBC News - Nelson Mandela: Timeline
      After police killed 69 protesters in Sharpeville in March 1960, the government feared retaliation, so it declared a state of emergency and then banned the ANC. The organisation formed a military wing, led by Mr Mandela.

In 1962, Mr Mandela was arrested and tried for leaving the country illegally.
      Right or wrong, it was the Police who started the violence. They would have been following the orders of the Government.

Thanks

I can understand a group like the ANC fighting for a good cause only targeting Government members and those that represent the Government in some way but never innocent people who may not harbour racist views. That is so wrong and is no better than what the IRA and similar groups did, and to a certain extent, still do.

I am not anti Mandela but I think it is wrong to totally ignore part of his life which is a major part of history just to make him a fluffy cute loveable character.
      The full truth should out, not just the nice bits.

Thanks

I believe that we both agree that Apartheid was wrong.

As the saying goes "no two wrongs make a right".

What the white government did was unforgivable, but recognising the problems it would otherwise cause, Nelson Mandella forgave them in order to be able to move the whole country forward.

It will take a long time for everything to become equal in South Africa, but I believe what he did was a great step in the right direction that moved the world in the right direction, not just South Africa.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

My biggest worry is that Mandela, whilst alive, stopped a lot of factional infighting simply by being alive. Now he's dead, then after a period of mourning there may be a lot of trouble and unrest.

I really hope that South Africa doesn't go the way of Zimbabwe.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast