Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Copy from PVR to PC or portable hard drive

This is a discussion on Copy from PVR to PC or portable hard drive within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I have a Samsung PVR BD-DT7800 and can transfer from a USB stick or portable hard drive onto the hard ...

Northern Boy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

Copy from PVR to PC or portable hard drive

I have a Samsung PVR BD-DT7800 and can transfer from a USB stick or portable hard drive onto the hard drive recorder but not the other way around. I have a 2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core processor running Wimdows Vista. I can attach a LAN cable that goes from my PVR to my router. . While I can see using "My Computer" that I have a device attached...I cannot access it. The "instruction book" appears to show that it can be done by using "Allshare" (which i have installed)

The samsung has a HDMI out port and my PC only has USB 2 connections

I know that it may involve setting up a network and I have tried. I have even turned off the Norton Firewall that I use but am no further forward. It started out as a pet project that I wish I had not started. Any suggestions on how i may be able to transfer free to air tv shows from HDR to PC are greatly appreciated. Might I need a Video capture card such as "
      AVerMedia AVerTV CaptureHD - DVB-T HDTV receiver / analogue TV / radio tuner / video input adapter - PCI Express x1 - Plug-in card

many thanks and kindest regards

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: Copy from PVR to PC or portable hard drive

To the best of my knowledge any device that can display HDMI sold in the past few years will have HDCP (High-Def Copy Protection) and other measures to make it difficult to copy the files to your own devices. Some do allow you to view their content elsewhere, but not many.

A video capture card would certainly be a good choice. That might be able to record the playback from the PVR. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

The PVR will be able to play content from your PC though if you were to download and install a suitable DLNA program. I found the Samsung AllShare software alright to an degree, but Serviio is much better.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Northern Boy (07-07-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It will not transfer HD, but I have used this successfully to transfer from a VCR to a PC. What you want is much the same.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimaxDigita...tp_s2_edpp_url

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Northern Boy (07-07-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. Scubbie

I have tried everyone that i know who is likely to know and another forum. Somone on my FB page mentioned that they had missed the diamond jubilee convert at the Palace. That set me thinking and I am glad I did not say I would copy onto a portable hard drive as I have run myself ragged trying to solve the impossible! That spurred me on from an idea that i had and with all the hassle I wish i had not started. My ambition outways my ability and I have no idea of what a DNLA program is. I did adjust various internet setting things and fortunately did not get the blue screen of death! I do not have my tv connected to the internet and take the HDR to my room where i keep my PC.

Exchange:
      Thanks

VCR to PC via way of a DVD recorder is something i have been able to do as that is how i have tfr some things from VHS to DVD. It just appears to transfer from a HDR to PC and my legendary reverse midas touch! I shall persevere
      thanks

Thanks

Specifically the Jubilee concert was aired on BBC TV. This was all free-to-air and unencrypted. You could use ExPVR (for Sky+ & Sky+ HD STBs) or +Extract (most other PVRs) to copy the relevant files to your PC.

You would need to remove the drive from the PVR and connect it directly to you computer. +Extract can be found here: +Extract - free software that rips free-to-air recordings from a Sky+ hard disk

If this seems to be a little too much like hard work, most of the Jubilee broadcasts are also available on some torrent sites.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Northern Boy (08-07-12)

Thanks

You could use ExPVR (for Sky+ & Sky+ HD STBs) or +Extract (most other PVRs) to copy the relevant files to your PC.
      I don't know if this would work with a Samsung PVR BD-DT7800, I don't think it uses the same file system as Sky. A capture device for the PC is all that is needed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Northern Boy (08-07-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

IsItme

Thank you to your goodself and Scubbie. I tried a Pinnacle DVD things that did not work for me. I came to this forum from a letter that someone sent into the Sunday Times and which I only read the other day. It has been in my head for a little while as to how things are loaded onto Youtube. Once way would be to have PC permanently switched on with the necessary bits attached enabling a Freeview Broadcast to be received. I saw the jubilee concert on Youtube and thought that is likely how it got there. If various episodes of television series can be downloaded from Usenet (not by me .. i just know someone else who leaves their PC on all night in the spare room downloading shows and films) how would those shows get there? I am going to get hold of a card that I listed on my 1st post. Many thanks to you ans Scubbie. Kind regards Paul

Thanks

The BBC normally uploads some things themselves. For example much of Children In Need highlights are available to be viewed.

Since the Beeb own the copyright, they would easily be able to get YouTube to take down any unauthorised content.

There are plenty of alternative methods to record BBC material. I was providing one method for yourself to consider since you already have recorded it on your PVR/STB.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Northern Boy (08-07-12)

Thanks

I have this afternoon recorded the Jubille Concert and Simon Boliver's Concert from the Raploch from my DVD/HDD recorder on to my PC using the capture device I mention above. I usually go straight to DVD but something has gone wrong with the recording part, so I was forced to improvise. The device allows you to capture in MPEG2, AVI or WMV. You need composite video or Svideo and sound ports on the donor machine.

TomD

Useful Utilites

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Northern Boy (09-07-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast