Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree20Likes

Why would anyone come to these forums for genuine help?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone come to these forums for genuine help? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by ethicaldilemma No offense, but aren't official forums and these fan made forums biased? None taken. As a ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Why would anyone come to these forums for genuine help?

Quote Originally Posted by ethicaldilemma View Post
      No offense, but aren't official forums and these fan made forums biased?
      None taken.

As a BSkyB shareholder (admittedly in my pension fund but it's a SIPP so it's my choice) and customer, obviously I like and use their products and I have some interest in seeing Sky do well. I am happy to praise Sky when they get things right, but I am equally happy to criticise when they get things wrong (and they do get things wrong!) See the posts in this and other forums.

I find that the official help forum can be a bit lame. I post on there sometimes too, but the knowledge advisers seem to be selective as to what they reply to and interact with, and mostly they are stock answers. I think it's maybe because they are not sufficiently empowered to engage and/or are not closely enough involved with the business areas (and so don't have the facts and information). I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

The way I see it is that if the official help forum was any good (and if the official help forum was anything like the PlusNet community forum, where there seems to be excellent engagement in customer problems by techies, I would class it as good), this forum would not exist! Thank heavens it does exist though...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      I find that the official help forum can be a bit lame. I post on there sometimes too, but the knowledge advisers seem to be selective as to what they reply to and interact with, and mostly they are stock answers. I think it's maybe because they are not sufficiently empowered to engage and/or are not closely enough involved with the business areas (and so don't have the facts and information). I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
      Most posts on the official forum seem to go like this:

- 'Knowledge advisor' doesn't read the original post or replies correctly
      - Replies thanking for posting, apologising and then copying and pasting some stock reply or link to the help centre
      - OP will come back and state that they've already done this
      - Thread then gets abandoned and lost in the mass of topics until a random customer will bump it weeks or months down the line with a query

In my opinion, the forum is a shambles. It's just a stop gap for complaints and very little seems to get resolved. I know the advisors working on the forum most likely have their hands firmly tied to some dire processes, but also their training/knowledge for the most part is lacking. Any time I've been on there, I see replies saying the old 'your SNR is too low, we have a target of 7dB'. It seems most aren't aware of new processes (such as lower SNRs now used) and even existing ones (seen some mistake sync issues with throughput issues).

No offence meant to any of the guys/girls that work on that forum that know their stuff, but the forum itself is seemingly essentially a complaints forum. It's set up so that advisors can catch frustrated customers in a net to potentially answer simple queries. It's pointless in my opinion and the forum needs a complete overhaul with necessary tools/training/ownership.

Here, is a different story. At least you have people replying with non-stock replies and not bound by any bias.
      NewsreadeR, speedyrite and Scubbie like this.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethicaldilemma View Post
      No offense, but aren't official forums and these fan made forums biased?
      http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...i/facepalm.jpg
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why would anyone come to these forums for genuine help?-facepalm.jpg  
      steelysteph likes this.

skybob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01942
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Why do we have to justify the skyuser forums to people like you the reason i come onto this site is the information i get is to the point a straight answer for a straight question and not some mod wanting kudos so please feel free to go else wear for you questions.
      Scubbie likes this.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If I go to the official Sky forum would they help me set up my own router and give me all the User details needed?

That alone is worth this site being around.

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      Perhaps because people with genuine problems will receive genuine answers from others with genuine knowledge.
      That is how I found this forum in the first place, and I have to say I've received some excellent advice from the members of this forum.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I've decided to cease posting on the official help forum (except in "closed" boards for product trials such as the recent Enhanced EPG where I have been invited to do so). I didn't realise but it's not permitted to post links to 3rd party websites over there, so a post containing a link to a page on the OpenDNS.com website was edited to remove the link. The link was posted in response to a query from a non-tech savvy user who is suffering the half speed issue on fibre and wanted to see if bypassing Sky DNS servers would make any difference. Oh what's the point eh?!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

The level of censorship on the Sky forum can be really annoying at times. I've had a bit of a barney with someone in the past when posting a specific link to a helpful document on this forum. The contents didn't breech their T&Cs but purely because it was to a different site it got pulled.

I was able to show that I'd posted the same link previously during the Sagem 2304n issues and it was most welcome. So thankfully if got allowed through in the end.

I know from PMs with some others who regularly contribute on the Sky forum that things have recently become tough on the Sky forum and that some have been banned as a consequence. It isn't for me to determine their forum rules nor would I encourage others to provoke them.

Sure there are some rules on this forum which we ask people to abide by, such as showing some respect to those who work for Sky (and other companies), but then there are some threads which have made comments regarding the Murdochs which I suspect would never be allowed on the Sky forum.

I know that on this forum members frequently post links to other sites which are often a true benefit in order to respond to what someone has asked. I don't believe in reinventing the wheel for every response and it is nice to be able to post a suitable link to somewhere which has a good answer for what someone is asking.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

well i am happy on this forum i know the censorship can be a little annoying but its like that on other forums to. but that's the way it is i just have to be careful on what things i type etc but i also try and help if i can when its needed. i actually almost left this forum because the censorship got to silly for silly little things no offence intended but now i managed to overcome it and keep a level head on me and keep it cool. now i am beginning to enjoy this forum.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      well i am happy on this forum i know the censorship can be a little annoying but its like that on other forums to.
      The earlier post regarding censorship was not refering to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post

but that's the way it is i just have to be careful on what things i type etc but i also try and help if i can when its needed. i actually almost left this forum because the censorship got to silly for silly little things no offence intended but now i managed to overcome it and keep a level head on me and keep it cool. now i am beginning to enjoy this forum.
      You, careful with what you type ???????????

2,500 posts before starting to enjoy the place, you are a stickler for punishment.

PS Your sig seems to be getting bigger again, too big in fact.
      reddwarfcrew likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast