Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Newbie!

This is a discussion on Newbie! within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 For picture quality and choice of HD channels, sky wins no question. I've compared both on ...

C1TPT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      For picture quality and choice of HD channels, sky wins no question. I've compared both on identical tv's. Virgin sometimes suffers from pixalition which is very off putting. Sky and virgin both broadcast HD in 1080i so you would think they would be identical.
      Virgin has the faster broadband but not the most reliable, Williammorris will tell you that.
      The virgin Tivo box, even with it's got a few problems, is great and could be ironed out with a few software updates. The sky HD box is a easy to use, but doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Tivo.
      I think on most comparison reviews sky usually come out on top.
      Thanks for that! Good fair review

Does the code for discount Sky actually work? and do they come up often?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Just seen the offers part of the forum, Ive put a post in the friends and family code thread. Will wait and see if someone is generous enough to help us out!
      williammorris likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Service wise the most recent Ofcom survey puts Sky ahead of VM on the broadband side. I don't recall what the result was on the TV side. Check the thinkbroadband news for the story.

As for availability of channels, Sky now have over 60 HD channels, where as VM only have 36. If you want a straight comparison on which channels are available on each, check out the Wikipedia site:

List of channels on Virgin TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of channels on Sky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for speed of broadband, Sky has just released SBUF. Check their site to see what is available for you. Whilst currently SBUF is limited to a 40mb down and 2mb up, it is expected that faster speeds will be made available soon. Of course it is important to mention that what your actual speed is could depend on where your home is. With FTTC it is dependent on the distance to the Fibre cabinet via your normal telephone cabinet.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Service wise the most recent Ofcom survey puts Sky ahead of VM on the broadband side. I don't recall what the result was on the TV side. Check the thinkbroadband news for the story.

As for availability of channels, Sky now have over 60 HD channels, where as VM only have 36. If you want a straight comparison on which channels are available on each, check out the Wikipedia site:

List of channels on Virgin TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of channels on Sky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for speed of broadband, Sky has just released SBUF. Check their site to see what is available for you. Whilst currently SBUF is limited to a 40mb down and 2mb up, it is expected that faster speeds will be made available soon. Of course it is important to mention that what your actual speed is could depend on where your home is. With FTTC it is dependent on the distance to the Fibre cabinet via your normal telephone cabinet.
      I hope our cab which is less than 10 metres away gets enabled at some point. I think it's the phone cab. Can't see another one!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there will be a friends and family code coming up shortly? The reason I ask is I will be moving in soon and would like TV and Internet ASAP.

I have been talking to a Sky adviser and he said he will waive the line rental for the whole 12 months and has come up with this package which I think is quite good!

Jordan:TV Entertainment Extra 25
      Jordan: Sky HD Pack 10.25
      Jordan: Sky Talk Freetime 0
      Jordan: Sky Line Rental 12.25
      Jordan: Sky Broadband Unlimited 7.50
      Jordan: = 55 monthly
      Jordan: That's the Original Cost
      Jordan: Your Discounted cost will be....
      Jordan: 32.75 for 6 months and 42.75 for the other

However, it obviously isnt as good as friends and family! So if there might be one about shortly ill hang on!

Cheers,

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12