Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 2 Post By Chug a Bug
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By IceGuyver

Richard Bacon reveals online abuse

This is a discussion on Richard Bacon reveals online abuse within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; This is a topic that haunts a lot of people on the Internet these days and isn't exclusive to famous ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Richard Bacon reveals online abuse

This is a topic that haunts a lot of people on the Internet these days and isn't exclusive to famous people, as this programme highlights.

BBC News - Richard Bacon reveals online abuse
      BBC Radio 5 live presenter Richard Bacon has revealed that he has suffered two years of anonymous abuse directed at him, his wife and his baby son.

Bacon has complained to the police, and tried to track down his abuser for a BBC Three documentary on abusive "trolls": The Anti-Social Network.

He said he wanted to know how criticism of his work "could go to contacting my family and tweeting about my baby".

He said it was time to stand up to trolls and highlight internet bullying.

"You have got to try and work out where critical comment crosses over into harassment," he said."

Under freedom of speech people can criticise you and slag you off, it's their right to do that."

But he added that it can become "deeply personal, obsessive and weird."

Bacon, 36, said the line had been crossed when criticism about his radio show turned into abuse about his wife, his mother and five-month-old son Arthur.

'RIP trolls'

The former Blue Peter presenter said he had originally tried to meet the troll but was advised by a psychologist and the police to make an official complaint instead.

He said: "What I have been through isn't that bad, really; it's been distressing for my family but personally as a broadcaster it's something I know how to deal with."

Much more disturbing, he said, were the actions of "RIP trolls" who posted offensive messages on tribute sites.

While filming The Anti-Social Network, Bacon met the parents of the late Tom Mullaney, from Bournville, Birmingham, who died aged 15 and whose tribute site was hit by trolls who left offensive messages."

They see these nice tributes, then they also see these weird sexual, violent comment and imagery," he said."

For people who don't even understand Facebook in the first place, as well as being upsetting and prolonging their grief, it's confusing."

He said some of the trolls would "themselves be deserving of sympathy - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't tackle them".

"It's time to stand up to them, it's time to either expose them or, if you're a victim, go to the police."

The Anti-Social Network will be shown at 2100 GMT on Monday night on BBC Three.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Richard Bacon reveals online abuse

That is one of the reason why I hate social networking sites, their will always be people on those sites with nothing better to do with their time than hurl abuse at others for no reason.

Thanks

Agreed and one reason why I avoid them.

I do know plenty of friends who use Facebook and Twitter and most have at some stage had abuse thrown at them by someone on those sites.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

I know this thread is a month old but I'm sure it's one of the reasons why people on forums use pseudonyms for posting, I never give personally identifiable information about myself online unless in strict confidentiality i.e. for purchasing online, online banking, etc.

There have been a number of celebs who've closed or stopped posting on their twitter pages due to abuse and cyberbullyiing. In the old days when people tried to contact a "star" they had to go through an agent or a press office which would act as a filter and a barrier to unwanted attention.

The recent conviction of the guy who posted racist abuse of the footballer recently was a step in the right direction, people think because it's the internet they're exempt from libel or other laws of the land, they aren't. There has been a big hoohah in certain forums and even on a radio show talk in about freedom of speech being curtailed, blah, blah and god knows there is too much political correctness and New Speak in public life, but this is just the opposite end of spectrum and equally unacceptable to me.
      NewsreadeR and Scubbie like this.

Thanks

Well said.

Freedom of speech should never be confused with freedom to abuse others, no mater what medium is available to do it through.

A few years ago I read some threads on some public forums before now where people were bragging about having pushed someone so far that they committed suicide. I found this behaviour to be abhorrent and something I never wish to be associated with. i can only hope that these people got their just rewards.
      Chug a Bug likes this.

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A few years ago I read some threads on some public forums before now where people were bragging about having pushed someone so far that they committed suicide. I found this behaviour to be abhorrent and something I never wish to be associated with. i can only hope that these people got their just rewards.
      Yeah, I've been apart of a couple of discussions on other forum, when people would just start acting immature for no point of reason and start hurling abuse at random. Fortunately the admin just banned them from the forum completely. I really hate it when a few bad apples ruin the fun for everybody.
      Scubbie likes this.

ReflexReaction is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Pace Sky HD Box
      Thanks

Hey, I'm not a massive fan but this isn't nice. It's really sad that some people can go to these lengths - it's a sick twisted thing to do and in all honesty these people need a shrink! This reminds me of an article I read recently:

Alexandra Burke's mother Melissa Bell reveals steak knife death threat - Showbiz News - Digital Spy

Richard Bacon is just a person like the rest of us. Bullying isn't cool.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReflexReaction View Post
      Hey, I'm not a massive fan but this isn't nice. It's really sad that some people can go to these lengths - it's a sick twisted thing to do and in all honesty these people need a shrink! This reminds me of an article I read recently:

Alexandra Burke's mother Melissa Bell reveals steak knife death threat - Showbiz News - Digital Spy

Richard Bacon is just a person like the rest of us. Bullying isn't cool.
      Easy tiger.

String them up by the privates (Male or Female ) and leave them to die a slow death.

==========
      Regards
      Dave