Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By TheSkyBear

Sky advertise "6 months half-price" on TV in midst of capacity crisis

This is a discussion on Sky advertise "6 months half-price" on TV in midst of capacity crisis within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I was watching TV before and saw that SKY are now advertising broadband at 6 months half price, I think ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky advertise "6 months half-price Broadband" on TV in midst of capacity crisis

I was watching TV before and saw that SKY are now advertising broadband at 6 months half price, I think they should have waited until they solved their capacity issues before doing that because the rush of new customers wanting to snap up such a good offer will make an already BAD problem WORSE.

We all know that it was the 6 months free offer (combined with Anytime+ and Netflix users) that caused the current problems.

SKY have a list of exchanges that are affected with timescales to fix but the problem is that list does not reflect ALL of the problematic exchanges and more and more are slowly becoming affected... one just has to venture their help & support forums too see, I know mine is, 2 weeks ago it was acute latency issues during peak hours...now its major latency issues and 40-50% throughput reduction during peak hours, yet my exchange is not on the list either, along with countless others in same boat.

Kudo's to SKY for acknowledging the problem, but to make such offers right now in the midst of all this is just going to exacerbate things, especially for the poor Sky Advisors who have to take ear bashings off pee'd off new customers who are not happy with their problematic/slow connections.

I read somewhere something along the lines of; at end of 2011 SKY installed new network hardware and upgraded capacity in preparation for the massive surge of new customers they expected to get this year (probably knowing they were gunna offer 6 months free etc) ...looks like the person that made the growth estimations got it wrong then..lol
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky advertise "6 months half-price" on TV in midst of capacity crisis

SKY are now advertising broadband at 6 months half price,
      They are offering 2 deals, one for 6 months, for Existing Sky TV customers only.

Or 9 months free - New customers only.

Sky User - Sky Pricing Roundup - March 2012

I think they should have waited until they solved their capacity issues before doing that because the rush of new customers wanting to snap up such a good offer will make an already BAD problem WORSE.
      I disagree, why would any company want to turn away any potential new customers?

Yes they may have some capacity issues, hardly a surprise, they have had them since the day they launched.

We all know that it was the 6 months free offer (combined with Anytime+ and Netflix users) that caused the current problems.
      Do we?

First I have heard, that is an opinion not fact to the best of my knowledge.

SKY have a list of exchanges that are affected with timescales to fix but the problem is that list does not reflect ALL of the problematic exchanges
      At least they have an estimated fix. Not saying it is right or fair, but Sky do not announce everything that they are doing in the background. Sky are fully aware of their network capacity, the stats for people using it etc, afterall it is their network.

They are not playing at being an ISP, they are probably not far off being one of the largest ISPs (as well as BT) and I would be willing to bet 10 that their network is also one of the largest and most invested into ones out of all the ISPs available.

one just has to venture their help & support forums too see, I know mine is,
      Fair comment, but how many, tens, hundreds, tens of hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of threads?

yet my exchange is not on the list either, along with countless others in same boat.
      In all honesty, there could be a hand ful of users, on your exchange spoiling it for everyone else, by continually downloading at line speed. That's hardly Sky's fault though.

Kudo's to SKY for acknowledging the problem
      Agreed, and Kudos for Sky to be constantly improving backhaul across the whole of the UK where they have an exchange presence. I guarantee, no other ISP (apart from BT) will be doing this to the same levels.

especially for the poor Sky Advisors who have to take ear bashings off pee'd off new customers who are not happy with their problematic/slow connections.
      Also agreed, as it would appear a lot of the time, advisors are not told of a lot of things happening at Sky.

I read somewhere something along the lines of; at end of 2011 SKY installed new network hardware and upgraded capacity in preparation for the massive surge of new customers they expected to get this year (probably knowing they were gunna offer 6 months free etc) ...looks like the person that made the growth estimations got it wrong then..lol
      Sky get thousands of people signing up to them everyday. Compared to say Plusnet who openly admitted a few years ago they had approximately 58 people per day signup. Noone could ever plan to give 100% linespeed for 100% of the people connected to it. Yes they may have problems, and it is unfair to the customers concerned, but at least you and I know that Sky are constantly upgrading their capacity.

Sky's marketing and offers are planned months in advance, saying that Sky should not be offering 6 months free etc is just an opinion, and as such, one that I disagree with. Sky can never get it 100% right, but for me as well as millions of other people, it works as advertised, 100% of the time. It's just a shame it doesn't work for the minority of people who are having problems for 100% of the time. But look at it another way, people could be paying 17 a month for a product that is probably the worst performing product in the UK - On LLU it is a hell of a lot better, albeit not 100% perfect.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

PS - I really think this thread title belongs to NOTW or similar, it is nowhere near as bad as you are saying. /just saying.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

There are huge complaints from customers on Virgin's broadband where even on the 100mb connections that many are unable to achieve these speeds, yet Virgin has announced that they have double everyone's speeds.

At least Sky has identified a specific issue with a relatively (out of around 2,000) small number of exchanges which have been unbundled by Sky.

A similar problem was experienced last year and was resolved.

Could you say the same for anyone else?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

TheSkyBear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Couldn't have put it any better. I just wish someone on the Sky Help forums had answered his points on there in the same way LOL
      NewsreadeR likes this.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

If it's any consolation to you, my exchang was one of those affected at the end of 2010 / begining of 2011; it took approximately 6 weeks to go from 1 or 2 people reporting an issue to it getting recognised as a problem and then finally getting fixed. In that time I was providing feedback and line stats to Sky to help them with their investigations and their fixes - they actually upgraded the equipment at the exchange twice as the first upgrade was insufficient to fully rectify the problems. Throughout the 6 weeks there were numerous posts on Sky forums of people stamping feet and moving supplier, but Sky did what they said they'd do and everything returned to normal! I believe there was also compensation for everyone affected at each exchange, whether they'd complained or not! This, along with the major network upgrade last year confirms (to me at least) that Sky very much care about their network and their customers.

lucyinthesky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      [...]Throughout the 6 weeks there were numerous posts on Sky forums of people stamping feet and moving supplier, but Sky did what they said they'd do and everything returned to normal! I believe there was also compensation for everyone affected at each exchange, whether they'd complained or not! This, along with the major network upgrade last year confirms (to me at least) that Sky very much care about their network and their customers.
      Luckily we did not have the same severe problems, but it is good to hear, that Sky actually does strife to improve and does it, not lightning fast, but still comparatively quickly. The provider we had before was so slow sometimes that we could go on put the kettle on and have a cuppa while waiting. So, yeah. Thanks sky and we're happy to be here

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Weren't aware of any capacity issues, my broadband is fine ta.