Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Who regulates Sky??

This is a discussion on Who regulates Sky?? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi all, I am new to this forum, need some advice if someone can help?? Its a bit long winded ...

rogerg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Who regulates Sky??

Hi all,
      I am new to this forum, need some advice if someone can help??
      Its a bit long winded so bear with me....

I am the sole subscriber to sky (tv, phone & broadband), yet my wife received a call at home from Sky asking if I wanted to upgrade, she explained she couldnt advise as not the policyholder. The sky rep said that if she answered the password correctly then she could. She answered correctly and agreed to subscribing to a 12 month contract in return for a 10% discount on our bill. - I did not want this (currently unemployed and dont want ties like this)
      I emailed sky and asked for this to be reversed and was astounded when they replied back to say "And as far as upgrade is concerned, if any person confirms your password then we can upgrade even if the person is non account holder the person who has the password can upgrade but can't cancel only the account holder can cancel."
      I cannot believe their attitude over this, basically someone can phone up with my password, upgrade to full package and I am left to bear the brunt.
      I come from a financial background and see warnings lights over Data Protection Breaches.
      Anyone out there know who I can complain to (other than Sky obviously) to get this investigated.
      cheers all, time for a cuppa...
      (oh, anyone know how to fix a very slow running Sky+HD box, controller seems to run at turtle pace...!)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: Who regulates Sky??

With any sales performed over a distance, there are some specific protections in place. You have 7 days (or more) to cancel anything, without a penalty being levied if no work has been performed.

Sky is just as liable as anyone else for this.

As for the obvious breech in Data Protection, it is worth noting that all the calls to Sky are recorded. If your wife specifically stated that she isn't authorised, then the call should IMHO have been terminated with a polite 'thank you and goodbye" at that point. Whether or not she gave the password is irrelevant IMHO.

Call Sky and ask to speak to someone in Customer Services and get the recording pulled so that an investigation can be made. Keep the time scale short for a resolution.

If you get no where, then there is a contact email address for the Executive team that members of this forum know. They can get the more difficult/serious issues resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
      cheers all, time for a cuppa...
      Yes please. Go get the kettle on then.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
      (oh, anyone know how to fix a very slow running Sky+HD box, controller seems to run at turtle pace...!)
      First port of call would be to perform a Planner Rebuild. If this doesn't resolve things, it could be a number of things such as hard drive on it's way out, LNB faulty, PSU starting to fail (a common symptom on the Thomson models).

To do the Planner Rebuild, using your remote control, press the following buttons:

<Services> <Right> <Down> 0 1 <Select> 7 <Down>

This should highlight the 'Sky+ Rebuild' option in the hidden menu. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete this non-destructive process.

P.S. Good luck with the job hunting.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Fab, cheers for that.
      I've already spoken to the customer services reps about this, they were less than helpful.
      My wife at the time didnt realise she was not a policyholder, I suppose the irony is that I am complaining about receiving a discount!! Its the sheer blatant ignorance to privacy which has infuriated me. If you can recommend who I can talk to as far as executive assistance that would be great.
      Relanner reset, will that scrub the recorded programmes??
      Cheers again..

Thanks

If you want to take things to the executive team, then email jeremy.darroch at bskyb dot com.

With regards to the Planner Rebuild, that specifically is SAFE to do. It will not delete anything that it shouldn't. In essence it defrags the directory listings. Although it is believed to defrag the files, I believe that it is to quick to do this as well.

Another option available on that menu (System Rebuild) does wipe the contents of the drive.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Fab, cheers for that, I'll give it a go and get back to you.
      Thanks for the support..

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey Scubbie, the reset doesnt work with my box, its a Pace Sky+HD box, any ideas??
      Cheers

Thanks

In what way does it not work? The Planner Rebuild option will definitely be there.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I am such a plum....
      Just got it working now!!!