Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

BBC iPlayer

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; From past experience, it is perhaps advisable to have a dedicated PC for streaming video & music content to a ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: BBC iPlayer

From past experience, it is perhaps advisable to have a dedicated PC for streaming video & music content to a TV & Surround Sound. Such a PC in my home will need in excess of 12TB of storage space, require output for a 7.1 surround sound and be accessible to any other device on my home network.

My current arrangements currently have 11TB of Video & music content, which is not the largest going.

I can use either the Sky, TV or HT remote to control the volume level. The contents on my NAS drive are readily available to stream to the HT or TV.

Since I can easily use the remote control to navigate the contents, I am more than happy.

As for being happy with Windows, I am a little above average for being PC savvy. The TV & HT system works very well IMHO, much better than a PC on it's own.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Thanks

i always agree with your views scubbie, but im sure you would not give up all your equipment and solely use a smart tv with a usb dongle and limited web platforms of a smart tv.

i like you have my media on nas etc.

my plasma has usb, i aint even used this at all and have never even connected a dongle to it yet, i will admit i like the idea of a smart tv with built in web cam and skype though as that is a good feature to have, especialy around xmas time for famiilys that cant be togther.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

I don't have a USB dongle

The external drive is actually 2 * 2TB drives in an external housing.

I have organised the contents so that it is easy to navigate the folders to find the movies.

My intention is to get a larger NAS drive and dump the whole lot on it at a later date, but the hard drive prices have rocketed and I need to put some money aside in an case.

In fairness I still do have my main tower connected to my TV & HT (for sound) but hardly ever use it anymore for this purpose. The TV can cope better with the hi-def content and I can easily press pause, fast forward or rewind or jump to a specific point in the video.

The main drawback for me is that I don't have access to the ITV, Ch4 or Ch5 players on either the TV or HT.

As for streaming content from my Laptop, this goes straight to the TV and I can control it from either the Laptop or TV. This is fun as the software allows video or music to be streamed in this manner. If I am in my bedroom and someone else is in the lounge, I can easily interrupt their viewing .

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

why be restriced to what the manifactures of these smart tvs alow to be installed on your tv, they are always in full control of your tv.
      But they are not. I think you may be missing the fact that the TV is networked by ethernet so it can pick up any compatible device connected to the router. I can access all the media on 2 of my PCs and yesterday my granddaughter connected her laptop so she could play her teen music videos through the TV simply by connecting to the router. I very seldom use the USB port, just now and again to view a flash card when I don't want to go to the bother of hunting out cables for my camera.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      But they are not. I think you may be missing the fact that the TV is networked by ethernet so it can pick up any compatible device connected to the router. I can access all the media on 2 of my PCs and yesterday my granddaughter connected her laptop so she could play her teen music videos through the TV simply by connecting to the router. I very seldom use the USB port, just now and again to view a flash card when I don't want to go to the bother of hunting out cables for my camera.
      i did say installed, refering to apps, ie iplayer, you tube etc, you can only use apps the manufacture installs for you or allows you to install, hence they are always in control of your tv, streaming from laptops etc is not the same as installing different apps, like i say that was a quote from computer active.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Agreed. The best solution is a Smart TV, A Humax Freesat box is expensive and doesn't display anything unlesss it's connected to a TV! I recently bought a Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV with iPlayer etc for well under 400. You will pay the better part of 250 for a Humax Freesat box and not have any of the choice offered by your Sky subscription.
      The regular Humax Freesat box is around 120, if you want PVR capabilities as well thats when it gets expensive.

But theres no need to even pay that kind of money all the HD capable freesat boxes now have iPlayer as standard, I bought a Goodmans Freesat HD box from Argos for 60 in the sales for my mum and it plays BBC iPlayer just fine. The build quality is surprisingly good, better than I was expecting.

Although I have a Humax HD box I usually watch iPlayer content on my PS3 as the picture quality is superior.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234