Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

BBC iPlayer

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; It will be interesting to see how YouView is finally presented. Certainly headhunting is nothing new and getting the top ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: BBC iPlayer

It will be interesting to see how YouView is finally presented.

Certainly headhunting is nothing new and getting the top managers in to help get the project moving in the right direction will help to pull the right punches.

I can see more people wanting ever larger monthly bandwidth allowances though with YouView and many Connect users suffering even more, for example.

I have a friend who has been persuaded to put some money aside for a new PVR/DVD Recorder as her old DVD recorder does not have Freeview built in. Whilst I could cope with a separate STB for Freeview, she struggles, and a PVR would be better for her.

I am just thinking what might be available when YouView is launched and will it be better for her. What she needs though is something that will allow her to play her DVDs as well as record content for keeps.

Her current broadband has a 40GB monthly limit and she doesn't do a great deal on-line, so it is more than sufficient for her current needs.

YouView could blow this apart very easily if she started streaming lots of content.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Don't you mean 'unreasonable' download allowances, such as unlimited?
      Well if Sky Fibre BB is truly unlimited when it comes, that would be spectacularly generous!

But a 40GB monthly allowance would probably do me (I have had some stats for the past 12 months from Sky and my highest monthly usage was - allegedly - 86.81GB but our average is about 30GB a month overall).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

A recent story cross-posted on this forum indicates that the average monthly usage is around 17GB per month. This has gone up (from memory) 5 time over the past 3 years.

With this in mind, I would not see any benefit in anyone signing up to a 40GB monthly cap for much longer.

IMHO Sky got it right a long time ago with their Unlimited package. I can only hope that they will offer a 100GB & Unlimited package or something along those lines. FTTC & FTTP work at such a speed that any less would be used up within a matter of hours if a visiting friend were to connect to your broadband.

Since we are talking about the various on-line players in this thread, this means that if you were to stream video content for a couple of hours, you would very quickly go over the average of 1.3GB in a single day for a 40GB monthly allowance. 100GB would provide for a 3.2-3.5GB a day usage. Which is a lot more sensible for many people.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It was interesting to analyse the month by month totals of our usage over the last 12 months.

The pattern is a very noticeable increase during the months when the offspring are home from uni, due to them both consuming virtually all of their TV watching habits via the various online players, followed by fairly conservative usage when they have gone back!

It will be interesting to see what Sky's package(s) will be when they get into fibre broadband.

Also interesting to note that my latest Sky bill now includes "WiFi - Coming in 2012" itemised under the Sky Broadband section at a charge of 0.00 for the periods 21/12/11 - 06/01/12 and 07/01/12 - 06/02/12. Presumably a soft launch of free access to The Cloud for Sky Broadband users.

Thanks

Strange as I have just looked at mine and it still doesn't show 'The Cloud' listed.

There is another long awaited correction, so I shall look a little later to see if something else now works.

lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Thanks

sorry but i dont get this thing about having iplayer etc directly to your tv, as some of you have already demonstrated, you may get iplayer or a few other services but not them all, and you have to buy different boxes to do different things.

why o why o why can you not understand that it is far easyier and simpler to simply use a pc with a dual out put graphic card (via hdmi for example) and connect it to the hd tv in the first place, rather then faff about with silly remote controls trying to type stuff in etc to smart tvs?

connect a pc, with blu ray drive and everything built into that pc and connect it to your hd tv, then stick a 3 cable from your pc to your hifi for the sound?

just my opionion, and you will find this is what most geeks do in the first place.

Thanks

No problem with your opinion Lee.

Since I can stream all my video content via either my Home Theatre or Surround Sound in 1080i or 1080p HD quality, without any shuddering & in full 5.1 (or 7.1 when available) surround sound, I guess that I prefer not having to interact with the PC now.

I used to watch it all via a PC previously on my wide-screen SD TV. I even bought a specific 5.1 surround sound card for my old surround sound system to get the best from it all.

No I can plug any external hard drive into the USB port on the HT and watch virtually anything from there. I can also stream off anything that is on my home network which supports DLNA.

Everything is controlled via either TV or HT remotes.

If the content is off my LAN, then I can also view it on my Laptop or Desktop.

I can also stream directly from my Laptop to the TV, via WiFi.

If I had a Samsung Mobile, then I could also stream from that to the TV.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

why o why o why can you not understand that it is far easyier and simpler to simply use a pc with a dual out put graphic card
      So after connecting everything up, switch on the TV, start the PC, go on line to find iPlayer, or whatever player you want, find the program you want to watch, you can start watching. I press 3 buttons on my remote and I am there, watching. Watching through a PC is fine if you don't have a network TV, otherwise it is a bit of a waste of time. Media Centres were fine before the advent of TVs capable of being networked, now they have outlived their usefulness.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Strange as I have just looked at mine and it still doesn't show 'The Cloud' listed.

There is another long awaited correction, so I shall look a little later to see if something else now works.
      Yes I was a bit surprised to see The Cloud listed.My latest bill is dated 24/12/2011. I think I read over on DS that it's going to be a free service for Unlimited & Connect users. Also read there that someone else has seen it listed (either on a bill or somewhere on My Sky).

lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Thanks

i also respect your opinions, however there will be no smart tv in my house unless they ever come pre installed with windows, my set up is smarter then a standard smart tv.

i have also noticed that there is a unaceptable delay when sticking usb dongles into usb ports on these tvs and it always takes ages for these tvs to read the dongle and start to play, you are also limited to what formats these tvs support etc.

as computer active state, why be restriced to what the manifactures of these smart tvs alow to be installed on your tv, they are always in full control of your tv.

"a homemade smart TV will be better than anything you can currently buy in the shops" quote from the same article

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast