Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

BBC iPlayer

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Well, Thank you all for such useful information, so It’s a new Sony Bravia next year, they have come down ...

whittington is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worcester 01905
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BBC iPlayer

Well, Thank you all for such useful information, so It’s a new Sony Bravia next year, they have come down a lot since I bought my current Sony 32” Bravia model 3 years ago, which doesn’t have all the extras the later models have.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Agreed. The best solution is a Smart TV, A Humax Freesat box is expensive and doesn't display anything unlesss it's connected to a TV! I recently bought a Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV with iPlayer etc for well under 400. You will pay the better part of 250 for a Humax Freesat box and not have any of the choice offered by your Sky subscription.
      Which Sony model is this please ??

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Doubt that very much. The Beeb along with ITV etc is to launch it's own service and Sky declined to join, so as always it looks as if we will have two incompatible services and will need two boxes to receive both - that's why a TV with network connection is so important, it means you can receive iPlayer etc without spending 200 on yet another box to receive iPlayer!
      I thought that Sky has signed up to join YouView (if this is the service that you are referring to).

As for TVs, Bu-Rays & Home Theatres with LAN ports, and also Xboxes & PS3, they will each require a suitable application to be added to their respective menus.

Whilst on my Samsung TV & HT, I have BBC iPlayer, I don't have 4OD or ITV Player, yet I know that some other makes do. I trust the Demand Five will also be available on some too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whittington View Post
      Which Sony model is this please ??
      Many current models for the past couple of years have On-Line content available. If this is the case for your TV, check the available applications to be installed. You may find BBC iPlayer is now listed.

I am aware that some older models could connect to your LAN in order to access DLNA content, but not access the Internet. If this is the case for you TV, then there is nothing that can be done, other than ask Santa for a new TV.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Many current models for the past couple of years have On-Line content available. If this is the case for your TV, check the available applications to be installed. You may find BBC iPlayer is now listed.

I am aware that some older models could connect to your LAN in order to access DLNA content, but not access the Internet. If this is the case for you TV, then there is nothing that can be done, other than ask Santa for a new TV.

Hi Scubbie just noticed your broaband speed, so thought I would show off and put mine up !!

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both have a lot of media stuff now, which I find very handy

PS3: BBC iPlayer (app); LOVEFiLM (app); 4oD (uses the browser); ITV Player (uses the browser); YouTube (uses the browser); Vidzone (app) for music videos; plus the PSN Store also has lots of films to rent and buy.

Xbox 360: Sky (app); 4oD (app); Demand Five (app); MSN (app); LOVEFiLM (app); Blinkbox (app); YouTube (app); Daily Motion (app); Muzu (app) for music videos; Last.fm (app); plus the "Zune" Store also has lots of films to rent and buy. No iPlayer yet, but it's due in "early 2012".

Quite a lot on the iPad too... iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand Five, Sky Go, TVCatchup, YouTube, LOVEFiLM...

Thanks

Hi Scubbie just noticed your broaband speed, so thought I would show off and put mine up !!
      I'll let you exercise your testosterone.

I leave my stats in my sig to demonstrate a Sky connection speed. Sure I happen to have a good connection, but there are many others with far better stats than I.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Envious!

I, on the other hand, at over a mile from the exchange as the crow flies (so lord knows how far as the cable snakes) have got this...

Download 3.49Mbps
      Upload 0.54Mbps
      Latency 36ms

Grade D - must do better!

Apparently I could get about 29Mbps download with FTTC. So bring it on Sky in 2012 (subject to reasonable price and download allowances of course).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I thought that Sky has signed up to join YouView (if this is the service that you are referring to).

I have BBC iPlayer, I don't have 4OD or ITV Player, yet I know that some other makes do. I trust the Demand Five will also be available on some too.
      If I understand the Sky/YouView position correctly then Sky will add Sky GO to YouView but it seems extremely unlikely that YouView will appear on Sky boxes because of software limitations. I expect Sky will continue with its own proprietary system whilst the rest use YouView - and YouView boxes are likely to be 200, so not a cheap option.

YouView continue to have major problems with integration of the content providers media players which is why the project is now 18 months behind schedule. YouView even headhunted a senior Sky Go executive to help them get the project back on track, much in the same way as the Beeb headhunted a Microsoft executive to pull the iPlayer project together.

As YouView boxes are powerful computers then they will probably continue to be expensive. They are likely to be as powerful as a games console but won't be subsidised by the subsequent sale of games - unless the Beeb/ITV start to charge for their old programmes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Apparently I could get about 29Mbps download with FTTC. So bring it on Sky in 2012 (subject to reasonable price and download allowances of course).
      Don't you mean 'unreasonable' download allowances, such as unlimited?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast