Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky bank details for standing order payments

This is a discussion on Sky bank details for standing order payments within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by Sebastopol Futtocks Can anyone oblige me with bank details for Sky that I can set up a ...

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Sky bank details for standing order payments

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastopol Futtocks View Post
      Can anyone oblige me with bank details for Sky that I can set up a standing order with?

I know Sky say they only accept payment by direct debit or credit card but I don't believe them and, as I don't have a credit card and strongly object to direct debits in principle and practice, want to make regular payments from my current account without using my debit card through their website every time. I see from Sky's help (I use the term loosely) forum that another customer had huge problems even after setting up their standing order but this is probably down to Sky's lopsided understanding of customer service. I will definitely be dumping Sky at the earliest opportunity unless they remember that ‘the customer is always right’! I know this is not always absolutely true but in this instance of course it is because it’s me.
      You'd be better off paying by DD than by a Credit Card - it's a little known fact that once you set up a continuous payment authority on a Credit or Debit Card you cannot stop it - if you authorise them to take money from your card regularly they can do it for as long as they like and only the 3rd party can cancel it - unlike a Direct Debit.

BBC - The One Show: Continuous Payment Authorities - Dom's top tips
      Regular Payments off a Credit Card Discussion - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Whilst that story is reasonably accurate, there is one thing that can prevent someone from continuing with the 'continuous payment authority'...

Cancel the card and get a replacement.

I was really surprised that this option was never mentioned. I know that this means that you would be unable to use the account for a short period, but it is a serious option.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

It doesn't always work Scubbie. Card companies are obliged to make payments under a CPA.

Just because a card is cancelled doesn't mean that payments can be stopped on it. Whenever I login to my credit card company the account balances of old cards that have been stopped/cancelled can still be viewed. The account is still active even if there is no card attached to it.

Reporting a card as stolen would be most likely have the chance of having a payment stopped I imagine, but it's by no means guaranteed and seems to be somewhat of a grey area, entirely at the mercy of the CC companies.

Not even cancelling your credit card will stop the payments.
      Last edited by Chug a Bug; 12-12-11 at 06:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12