Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Product Placement & Increased Advertising Breaks

This is a discussion on Product Placement & Increased Advertising Breaks within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Recently Ofcom announced that ITV, Ch4, S4C & Ch5 were going to be able to increase their advertising amount in ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Product Placement & Increased Advertising Breaks

Recently Ofcom announced that ITV, Ch4, S4C & Ch5 were going to be able to increase their advertising amount in each hour as an experiment.

Currently we are seeing adverts on the box introducing the 'P' to be shown before & after programs that feature product placement. This 'P' will also be shown at the end of the Ad breaks.

This week ITV announced increased profits due to advertising.

Most US shows are around 42-43 minutes longs, without the adverts. The remaining 1 hour slot is filled by ad breaks.

Do you think this is impacting on our viewing pleasure or a necessary evil to help fund the shows that are broadcast?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Product Placement & Increased Advertising Breaks

GF watches neighbours and it is full of apple products everywhere even shows them dusting that big iMac in the corner.

can't say that i am really bothered but i have spent a great deal of time in america and therefore am used to it.

Hollywood is dominated with product placement from apple even though they target exclusivity and then you see it everywhere.

Wouldn't mind BBC doing it if meant that i didn't have to pay a TV license anymore they are going to generate a fortune with the BBC iPlayer now in other countries as well
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      GF watches neighbours and it is full of apple products everywhere even shows them dusting that big iMac in the corner.
      Now is that like saying that an iMac is only god for collecting dust?

I also like it when apples make a nice 'crunch'. Typically this is when I take a bite out of them.

can't say that i am really bothered but i have spent a great deal of time in america and therefore am used to it.

Hollywood is dominated with product placement from apple even though they target exclusivity and then you see it everywhere.

Wouldn't mind BBC doing it if meant that i didn't have to pay a TV license anymore they are going to generate a fortune with the BBC iPlayer now in other countries as well
      Seriously though, advertising is increasing. When BB was on channel 4, they used to really push the advertising as big audiences were frequently glued to their sets.

As for the BBC pushing advertising, it isn't the only channel where you can watch a program without advertisements. The Sky Movie channels had ad breaks between the movies. They often start a few minutes after the advertised time, to catch a few people. Once the movies start, there are no breaks.

Back on 20th July 1981 Charles & Diana were married. ITV decided not to air any adverts until after the ceremony was completed.

The ITV Player often features enforced advertising breaks in it's content. Perhaps the BBC could do the same for those in other countries, after all we all have to pay the TV license fees.

Sky Sports get a large amount of money from subscriptions, but it also generates money from advertising. The net result is a huge amount of money spent of sponsoring football and other sports.

Personally I love to watch things without the enforced breaks. I hate it when documentaries remind you about everything they just told you before the break. Are they saying that we can't remember something from 5 minutes ago?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nothing is worse than watching a UFC fight on ESPN and they have an advert during the fight.

I don't mean the normal adverts that happen between rounds while annoying I get why they do it. I mean actually half way through a fight its set to go to adverts and then is quickly realised after about 10 seconds and then has to jump back to the fight again.

RE the iMac. What i meant was they were literally showing people talking and giving it a good dusting right in the middle of the frame couldn't have been much more obvious that it was advertised. They could of at least made an attempt to conceal the fact.

RE BBC Iplayer. Think in other countries it is going to be a subscription service and have adverts but not 100% sure. smart people are just going to use a UK VPN to watch it for free.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Thanks

I guess the real skill with the Product Placement issue is to bring in something that is relevant to the situation.

How often does Homer go to Crusty Burger? What about his favourite beverage, Duff Beer?

If such a programme were made for the UK, would we start seeing Carling Black Label or Hofmeister being pushed? Will the Queen Vic actually have proper bear labels on display? What will Ian Beale drink? Perhaps Bobby Beale will demand Pepsi Cola?

There are lots of possibilities for pushing different products and there will be some people out the who will buy it because their favourite TV character likes it.

TV advertising does work. Some campaigns have been a real hit. How many people used to say 'Waassuupppp' before 1999? Let's not forget that Tango had to change it's campaign after incidents in the school playground.

Now as for the iMac, I'm sure that they could move it to a better location. Perhaps beside a door to keep it open?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Guessing you are not a fan of apple then Scubbie

Thanks

Guessing you are not a fan of apple then Scubbie
      lol - Now what might give you that idea?

I've been using computers since the days of the ZX80 and seen a variety of different ones come & go since then.

Whilst successful PCs use the cheapest components at the time, it is their price that makes them successful, a little like VHS & Betamax.

I also like the flexibility of a PC. Typically I've always built my own. With Apple it seems that you are tied to their system, software and nothing but. Prices are often a little higher than the equivalent for a PC.

The more recent Apples do seem to be getting better, but it is a case of two different machines. I guess it is a little like which games machine is best? They each have their positives and software specifically written for them.

P.S. It's good fun for a nice joke to pull a leg or two
      Last edited by Scubbie; 06-03-11 at 05:59 PM. Reason: added postscipt

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What made me laugh was the very first item to be shown on TV under these new rules was a plain white coffee making machine that you wouldn't have known about if it hadn't been on the news. Of all the things to show that is a tad on the bizare side if you ask me.

Thanks

I guess John Prescott could always look at getting two free cars from a certain well known car manufacturer.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They would be much better using John Prescott to advertise the Rocky Balboa movie

Must go find the coffee maker not much better in life than great coffee. I drink it by the barrel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast