Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is the router environment friendly?

This is a discussion on Is the router environment friendly? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I don't wish to sound like some kind of enviromental vigilante. But isn't keeping the router on all the time ...

expectingtofly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I don't wish to sound like some kind of enviromental vigilante. But isn't keeping the router on all the time an enormous waste of energy. I realise individually it won't use much power, but 500,000 wireless routers all being left on permanently but only being used 10% of the time at the most is very significant. In my opinion Sky are being irresponsible choosing a router that is designed to be left on permanantly in these days when the amount of energy we use and it's affect on climate change are well known.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site expectingtofly

Sorry but so is keeping any entertainment equipment on standby or clock radios in the bed room or anything that uses power constantly in the house with I would say the exception fridges and freezers, so one little router will make no difference so are the people how sell these items being irresponsible.

There are a lot of ISP's that supply routers to its customers lets see 2 of the biggest AOL and BT come to mind and that new BT router with the phone on it has to be connected or you get no phone calls.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

mmmm, I see we fundamentally disagree here.

The point is we shouldn't leave things in standby. I seem to remember that 10% of household energy usage in this country is from equipment in standby.

Anyway, back to the router, we are saying that it is designed to be switched on permanently, but we know it will only be used for a small proportion of that. I personally believe major companies like Sky should not be providing products that encourage that kind of wastage. Just to say other companies are doing it is not good enough.
      Say it uses 7 watts of power. 500,000 times 7 is a significant amount of pollution that could be prevented if Sky provided a router and encouraged us to switch it off when we weren't using it.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      We don't fundamentally disagree about anything you have an opinion as do I, if things are designed to do x,y and z then thats the way of it so people can either use the things the way they were designed or not choice is such a wonderful thing.

So if you or anyone wants to turn their routers off there is nothing stopping any of you from doing it.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      tbh I have never switched my router off unless it needed rebooting.

However i do agree with your stance on the environment etc, but it would take a lot more than us on here to force either Sky or any government to sort it out.

I have to agree though as a family in my house we waste loads of energy.

However if we wish to continue on this discussion we could move the relevant bits to a new thread in general chat.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 03-10-06 at 06:56 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      my router is allways on
      so is my....
      pc
      monitor
      video
      dvd
      tv (standby)
      telephone (that needs a power plug)
      fridge
      freezer
      washing machine
      im sure i could find some more lol
      Last edited by SatDish; 03-10-06 at 06:55 PM.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
      We don't fundamentally disagree about anything you have an opinion as do I, if things are designed to do x,y and z then thats the way of it so people can either use the things the way they were designed or not choice is such a wonderful thing.
      Exactly. And I believe that Sky had a choice whether they provided a router that encouraged environmentally friendly usage or not. They chose to provide one that by design isn't.
      I realise it is an individual choice as to how much power consumption one uses, and I'm not trying to be preachy (honest!). It is simply that I believe Sky, as a major corporation, has a wider responsibility because of the major impact they can have, and it appears to me that they have ignored that responsibility.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      don't want to sound like I'm having a go so don't take it that way

if the router did have a power button it wouldn't have much effect as the power supply/transformer will still be plugged in and switched on and using electricity.
      "To help would be a great adventure"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      moved this as it gone way off topic, but nice to see that people do have a point of view and want to do the right thing.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      don't want to sound like I'm having a go so don't take it that way

if the router did have a power button it wouldn't have much effect as the power supply/transformer will still be plugged in and switched on and using electricity.
      I'm starting to sound like the environmental spokesman for the green-boadband party These are not normally the type of conversation I get into!
      Anyway, that's a good point, I think tranformers use up a couple of watts when plugged in and not being used. So they really should be switched of the plug.
      But my original point was that this router was designed not to be switched off at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast