Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Refusing to Accept BACS/Bank Transfer

This is a discussion on Sky Refusing to Accept BACS/Bank Transfer within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; As the title says. I wasn't quite sure where to post this one. I have an outstanding bill which someone ...

TriP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Refusing to Accept BACS/Bank Transfer

As the title says. I wasn't quite sure where to post this one.

I have an outstanding bill which someone has kindly offered to pay on my behalf. the money would be coming from a foreign account, and the ONLY way that it will be paid is via bank transfer directly to sky. the other party involved is not willing to first transfer the money into my UK account, or use any other payment method. however this is besides the point -- Sky are simply REFUSING to provide me with bank details, claiming they "only accept direct debit/credit card payments/bank giros."

is this even legal? can a company demand payment and then refuse to provide you with their bank details? if you're a business customer, sky has no problem providing you with their bank details -- what's with the fuss for residential customers? i spent the better part of 2 hours speaking to their outsourced minimum-wage slaves and supervisors about this, and always received the same scripted answer. one of them even had the gall to tell me i should have the money transferred into "a friend's account, provided it was a UK account, because as long as the sort code and account number are correct the account holder's name shouldn't be a problem" and then have him pay it out to me, to pass on to sky. meaning basically the 'advisor' told me to try to trick my foreign family member into thinking they were paying sky when in fact the money would be going into someone else's account to pass on to me.

on top of this, sky has been threatening me with legal action for about a month now, and i am getting nowhere with them -- if they want their money so badly, then why can't i simply transfer the funds directly? it's rediculous. i've never encountered this problem with any other company.

can anyone here provide me with sky's bank details (SC/Acc#) so i can finally get this bill out of the way?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Refusing to Accept BACS/Bank Transfer

Sky have a duty to honour government legislation. One of these is the Anti-Money Laundering Act.

As part of this Act, companies have to be very careful when it comes to accepting money from a) an account unassociated with the person who owes the money and b) when the account is based overseas.

Now, I am not suggesting that you or they are trying to launder money, but this will a key reason why Sky has the policy it has.

Sky are acting appropriately under the circumstances you have described I'm afraid.

nige1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRDEN
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Does the person abroad not have a debit card? You could give them your online my sky acct details and simply ask them to log in and make a debit card payment.

Just transferring money into skys account wouldn't resolve the issue as they would have to locate the payment and tehn have no way of associating this with the payment on your sky account.

Ive researched this a bit and I don't believe the system Sky use has a facility to attach money to it unless this is done via pre-set up direct debit or by logging in to your sky acct and associating a one of card payment to it.

Sky do make all customers aware of what payment type they accept before you agree to sign up

t-bon3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWHELS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7000
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Any bank payment including international ones have a space in the payment instruction for a 'payment reference' where you normally put the invoice number or other descriptive information about the payment being made.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@reddwarf: the point is not that the money is coming from overseas (besides, it's a german account and entirely traceable) or that i'm not the bank account holder --

sky are simply refusing to allow me to pay via bank transfer. they are refusing to give me their bank details. it has nothing to do with where the money is coming from. i didn't mention a single word to them about the money's origin, i simply asked for their details so i could transfer the money from one account to another. the money laundering argument does not apply. even if the money was coming from my own UK based barclays account, they would not accept it unless i set up a direct debit.

@nige: of course sky has the facility to receive money via account transfers -- when you set up that direct debit, where do you think the money goes?

and yes, i have a payment reference (my customer account number).

also, the person making the payment is an 86 year old woman who doesn't speak english, so debit card payments are out of the question.

i am able to pay ALL of my other bills in this way (including virgin, who i have now switched to, heh). why not sky?
      Last edited by TriP; 01-02-11 at 08:14 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky are simply REFUSING to provide me with bank details, claiming they "only accept direct debit/credit card payments/bank giros."
      If they accept bank giros surely they have to give you an account the giro is to be paid into, isn't this what you should be asking for?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriP View Post
      of course sky has the facility to receive money via account transfers -- when you set up that direct debit, where do you think the money goes?
      Into an account specifically set up to receive direct debits. For an organisation the size of Sky these will operate differently to a regular bank account.

Have you asked if they can send a paper bill with a bank giro slip attached? (Same thing applies here - accounts receiving bulk bank giro payments can't necessarily accept direct transfers).

You'll have to find a way of paying in the money from the UK though, whatever happens. Sky are a company operating only in the UK and Eire and have no obligation to accept money from outside those countries, whatever you may think or however elderly the customer is.

Exchange:
      Thanks

for ****'s sake -- as i have repeatedly said -- it DOES NOT MATTER where the money is coming from! the point is that sky is refusing to tell me their goddamn account details!

the giro account is quite different from the payments account. for starters a giro account is only 7 digits.

i've had this problem before with united utilities (a MUCH larger company than sky), and they were more than happy to give me the requested account info over the phone.

i would appreciate people not chiming in if they don't know what they're talking about. i came here for help, not for mis-informed derision and idiocy. perhaps i should go ask somewhere else.
      Last edited by TriP; 01-02-11 at 05:46 PM.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriP View Post
      the giro account is quite different from the payments account. for starters a giro account is only 7 digits.
      Who mentioned Giro? Bank Giro is shorthand for a BACS (bank automated clearing system) form, as commonly attached to an invoice or bill.

i would appreciate people not chiming in if they don't know what they're talking about. i came here for help, not for mis-informed derision and idiocy. perhaps i should go ask somewhere else.
      Off you go then.

PS I do know what I'm talking about, and it's not as simple as you are making out. (I don't work for Sky but know how corporate banking works)

HTH

t-bon3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWHELS
      Router: Netgear D7000
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Why not get a bankers draft made payable to Sky then post it to them by registered mail / courier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast