Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

3D TV health warning

This is a discussion on 3D TV health warning within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; found this article on my travels Samsung has issued a health warning about its new 3D television sets two months ...

charlyfarly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

3D TV health warning

found this article on my travels

Samsung has issued a health warning about its new 3D television sets two months prior to their launch.

A message on the company's website notes that pregnant women, the elderly, children and persons with serious medical conditions could be at risk.

The firm explained that adverse conditions resulting from 3D viewing include "confusion, nausea, convulsions, altered vision, lightheadedness, dizziness and involuntary movements such as eye or muscle twitching and cramps".

The side-effects are apparently induced by the electronic system required to view 3D images on the set - particularly the battery-operated 3D glasses which sync the left and right images to the TV screen and force the brain to process them together as a single 3D perception.

The warnings are believed to have been unveiled well in advance of the release date in order to protect Samsung against the possibility of future lawsuits from those who might be affected by their 3D systems.
      might put a few people off

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: 3D TV health warning

confusion, nausea, convulsions, altered vision, lightheadedness, dizziness and involuntary movements such as eye or muscle twitching and cramps
      I get these symptoms without watching 3D, the other half says it is the Bacardi I use to water down my cola that causes it. She doesn't have a medical degree, so I don't believe her.

I remember when the original black and white TV came out. There were lots of health warnings about how it could damage your eyes and optic nerves if you watched it too long and if you didn't have a soft light in the background. Everybody rushed out and bought 'TV' lights.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The difference this time is it's the TV manufacturers who are making the warning - not a bunch of badly informed alarmists. The warning does need recognition because placing 3D cameras in a 2D production can cause all sorts of sensory problems - 3D is to give a more realistic effect to the picture and our eyes don't zoom and we keep our heads pretty still when watching things so the antics of some TV productions are unsuitable for direct translation into 3D.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Remember the 60s 3D films cardboard glasses was it red and blue I`ve got a Head ache just thinking about them

Black and white tv I can remember the first thing I saw was the Buccaneers cannot remember the main actors name I know he was in Jaws he owned the Boat The injuries using make believe swords or when William Tell was on everyone wanted to shoot the Apple of some ones head and without a crossbow make a bow and arrow and turn the bow flat then fire everyone missed the apple but lots of wore eyes but they were war wounds.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

heres a wierd thing i had my brother bought the final destination up for me to watch in 3d he had two types of 3d glasses the red and blue cheap paper ones then he had the proper black normal glasses which around 100 pounds and about 10 20 mins after i tried it i went on my xbox and i got a splitting headache was horrible i hate all this 3d crap waste of time for what just for a couple of scenes that jump out at you on screen