Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smart Meters.

This is a discussion on Smart Meters. within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; About a week ago I received a letter from British Gas explaning that our electricity meter was due for replacement, ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Smart Meters.

About a week ago I received a letter from British Gas explaning that our electricity meter was due for replacement, it was last replaced in 1995 and they are replaced periodically to ensure accuracy and safety. The letter went on to say that British Gas would fit a new Smart Meter, together with a wireless remote reader and as well as giving us greater control over our electricity bills it transmitts exact readings direct to British Gas, so no more estimated bills.
      Now I dont know about you but I have never had any problems with estimated bills ( if the bill is wrong, then I correct it on-line, and more oftern than not give my readings on line anyway) and if I wish to work out my homes consumption then I could take meter readings and due so.
      Today a nice chap from Siemens (they replace meters on behalf of British Gas) arrived and I explained I would rather have a dumb, ordinary meter so he phoned BG, who wanted to speak to me, and very reluctantly, they agreed to an ordinary meter ( There is a EU directive that 80% of homes must have a Smart Meter 2020, by there is no complusion yet)
      The chap from Siemens agreed with me, he had fitted a few Smart Meters and all had since been replaced as under certain circumstances they can cut off your supply, they think it is to do with some mobile phones.
      So its clear, if your electricity supplier writes to you about meter replacement, have it replaced with an ordinary dumb meter untill they get this supply problem solved.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Re: Smart Meters.

Actually the UK goes further and ALL UK households must have smart meters by 2020.

I went with First Utility earlier this year and they take readings every 30 mins so not only can you get a very accurate idea of what is going on with the power consumption in your house but also you can get charged according to use.

I get half price electricty between 12:30 and 07:30 and so the dishwasher etc go on overnight and now 30% of my electricy consumption is now half price saving me 20 per month.

They take readings by sending them via a mobile phone sim in the meter (mine can connect to Vodaphone, Orange or T-moble)

Currently they are being given away due to EU money being given out but they expect this to be removed soon and so I urge people to have them while they are free beofre they are hit with a bill when they are compulsary.

We also have a smart Gas meter but this only takes 1 reading a day, although British Gas seems to be behind First Utility and EDF who seem to be the ones getting to grip with this new technology.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

The 80% figure takes into account those who have pre-payment meters, I understand they cannot have a Smart Meter.
      What you appear to have is the old white meter rate, where off-peak electricity was much cheaper, and everyone did their washing during the night, there is nothing new under the sun

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      The chap from Siemens agreed with me, he had fitted a few Smart Meters and all had since been replaced as under certain circumstances they can cut off your supply, they think it is to do with some mobile phones.
      So its clear, if your electricity supplier writes to you about meter replacement, have it replaced with an ordinary dumb meter untill they get this supply problem solved.
      All smart meters fitted by Siemens Brian? I doubt it, they would have stopped installing them. Maybe your installer needs re-training. I don't see your problem, I'd rather have my bills correct with little effort from me.
      There is no p in Thomson.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I cant comment on domestic meters, but every gas and 3 phase electric meter we have at work ( over 400 ) are monitored remotely. Not one has ever interupted a supply and tbh they are not capable of doing so as they are just a pulse counter for the gas and inductive loops for the electric rigged to a data logger and a gsm phone. To interupt supplies with no warning can in some cases be dangerous and not something the supply companies would risk doing without proper notification.
      Imho its the way forward, just think of the reduction to our bills they will be able to offer when they dont have to employ thousands of meter readers whizzing around in their logo endowed fiesta van thingys

Thanks

I agree, if you want a Smart Meter then have one, but I dont.
      I dont know if he was reffering to all Smart Meters or just the ones he has installed.

Having spent a lifetime dealing with technology I was assured would have a mean time between defects greater than my working life, when it comes to my own essential supplies I like to try and keep things as simple as possible, and electricity meters dont get much simpler than a watt hour mechanical meter.
      Last edited by Brian69; 10-12-09 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      electricity meters dont get much simpler than a watt hour mechanical meter.
      Yep, and they are easy to stop with a simple magnetic device
      Just kiddin mate, each to their own, I was just recounting my experience of the smart meters.

Thanks

A post like that says more about you than me