Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smart Meters.

This is a discussion on Smart Meters. within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; If they have remote access to the meter it wouldn't supprise me if they had incorporated a remote power off ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Smart Meters.

If they have remote access to the meter it wouldn't supprise me if they had incorporated a remote power off facility! would be handy for killing the power between occupates when you have agreed your final readings, or dealing with them naughty people who wont pay the bill. You know what "big brother" is getting like these days

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      You bad lad
      No, I'm not, from my years in the Council I've seen a good few tricks, but tbh I'm too honest to try them myself.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Ours was instaled by First Utility and we were told not to let Siemens anywhere near ours.

The problem is that Siemens are running a franchise operation and although they look like they are from Siemens all they are in fact self employed and are paid per job like some Sky installers
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      If they have remote access to the meter it wouldn't supprise me if they had incorporated a remote power off facility! You know what "big brother" is getting like these days
      Again, no, I cant see this happening at a household level. Yes power companies do have the means to remotely power off sections of the grid and there is equipment in place to do this automatically in event of faults. Thats why we still have localised power cuts occasionallly. But the cost of putting that level of equipment into each and every household would far outweigh the savings made on the odd smackhead etc who manages to fool the meter or avoid a bill.
      Smart meters are the future and they are just that, meters not remote switches.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Well I hope you are right dholdi, because if my chap from Siemens is correct then there are bound to be a few homes cut off in error, as well as by defective meters.
      In the mean time we at Brian towers will sit back for at least the next ten years while this technology matures.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

You are forgetting one important thing is that now the EU has laid down the law and that now people have to have them the manufacturers now have no reason to update or improve them as now it's a done deal.

The UK alone has to have 30+ million of them all working to the same standard wich means that manufacturers will be doing their best to get them out of the door rather than looking to make improvements which will cost them money to develop and implement.

There cannot be any change on how they communicate with the servers as that is using mobile internet SIM cards.

My wife pointed out that most likely the manufacturers of the dumb meters will have been given a stop date (most likely 2010) and after that you will have to have a smart meter.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

My point is that now we have had are meter replaced, it will not require replacement for at least ten years. Some quick "back of a fag packet" calculations will show you that even with 1,000 meter installers working 7 days a week 365 days a year, it is very unlikely that all meters will be replaced by 2020. I suspect they will leave us alone for a good ten years. When a meter is replaced you do not necessarly get a new replacement, ours is a recalibrated watt hour meter first manufactured in 1958.
      As things stand at the moment, you do not have to have a Smart Meter if you do not wish to.
      Last edited by Brian69; 11-12-09 at 10:37 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I wish I could have a gas meter of any kind. If you know the price of Calour gas you would know why.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes Tom I know it is expensive comparied with mains gas. Do you have red propane cylinders, or a tank which is filled ? I know a chip shop which has a gas tank.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have a large 1200 litre bulk tank, but it is still a lot dearer than piped gas. Cost has just gone up to about 47p a litre, twice the price it was a couple of years ago.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12