Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

EU regulations mean 2 year guarantees for all

This is a discussion on EU regulations mean 2 year guarantees for all within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I didn't know this, nor apparently did Tesco but they have now admitted it. See the very informative article Tesco: ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

EU regulations mean 2 year guarantees for all

I didn't know this, nor apparently did Tesco but they have now admitted it. See the very informative article Tesco: I fought the store and the law won | Money | The Guardian on how it works. The good news is that EU rules mean you can take goods back up to two years later and obtain a replacement, even if the guarantee has expired.

"Staff at the European Commission told Guardian Money this week that shoppers have an extremely strong case for demanding a repair, replacement or refund on items up to two years old – the minimum guarantee for all member states, including the UK. It is not a new rule, but it seems few shoppers or retailers are familiar with it."

A quote from the report says
      "Other Member States (e.g. Denmark and the UK) have transposed this provision indirectly, which raises the question whether the Directive has been adequately implemented".

Full EU ruling http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_i...7_EN_final.pdf
      Last edited by dms05; 30-10-09 at 12:02 PM.

2. Advertisement