Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

32-bit or 64-bit Win 7

This is a discussion on 32-bit or 64-bit Win 7 within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I will be putting Win 7 on my main PC soon, probably dual-booting with XP until I am happy with ...

FelixTCat is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

32-bit or 64-bit Win 7

I will be putting Win 7 on my main PC soon, probably dual-booting with XP until I am happy with it.

It is a reasonably new PC and I recently upgraded the memory from 2 Gb to 4 Gb. The BIOS shows all 4 Gb but XP shows only 3 Gb available ( a little lower than expected). I did that to make running the Win 7 betas in virtual machines better.

All my applications are 32-bit and I wouldn't replace them with 64-bit, at least in the short term. I do a fair bit of photograph and video editing using Photoshop and Premier Elements .

Now the big question. Would I see any real advantage in running 32-bit programs on the 64-bit operating system, particularly in terms of photo and video editing?

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Felix

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: 32-bit or 64-bit Win 7

I've been running W7 since the initial beta release many months ago. When RC1 came along I tried both 32 and 64 bits and couldn't see much (if any difference) in performance. The usual argument against 64 bit is the lack of drivers but I didn't find that an issue and all my hardware worked on 32 and 64 versions. Yes you do get the extra 0.75GB of memory released but in my case that doesn't seem to make any difference when using 32 bit software.

I also tried (for comparison) 32 and 64 bit versions of Linux (Ubuntu) and I can report that these performed well but identically.

I have an 18 month old Acer 5920 with a Core2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Would I see any real advantage in running 32-bit programs on the 64-bit operating system, particularly in terms of photo and video editing?
      I don't think so. You are running a 32 bit OS, so the fact that your hardware can support 64 bit is irrelevant. Neither the OS or the applications will be able to make use of the superior memory handling of 64 bit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

the only advantage of running the 64 bit OS would be the ability to address more than 4 gigabytes of memory (which does include gragpics card memory)

As you say that you can "see" 3 gigabytes I assume your graphics card is a 1 gigabyte one, if you wvere to go 64 bit you would be able to unlock all of your memory and possibly use SLI configuaration graphics cards which means that games like crysis etc would look fantastic.

As for video editing I went all the way up to 8 gigabytes and have a 1 gigabyte graphic card and I now can do a lot more video editing and also do a lot more with my PC while this is happening without having to use the swap file.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Assuming you have no compatibility issues, I'd use the 64bit so you're up-to-date as more and more software is released in 64bit versions. Photoshop CS4 already is available in 64bit although plugin support leaves a lot to be desired.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Photoshop CS4 already is available in 64bit
      ....and the cost of the new suite will make your eyes water.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.