Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Comet - Good service or bad service

This is a discussion on Comet - Good service or bad service within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; So here is my tale: - bought a 900 Sony laptop from Comet in March 2008 - In June 2009 ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Comet - Good service or bad service

So here is my tale:

- bought a 900 Sony laptop from Comet in March 2008

- In June 2009 the graphics card failed, some 3 months outside of warranty

- mailed Comet HO using their contact us link and explained that I was unhappy that a 900 laptop only lasted 15mth and that under the Sales of Goods Act and the EU legislation of 2 yr warranty that I felt that Comet should fix the laptop for free even though it was outside the 12mth standard warranty

- Comet replied very quickly (next day) and apologised for my experience and that they would assess the laptop for free and if a major component was found to be at fault then it would probably be a free fix.

- I took the laptop with the email to my local Comet who happily sent it off and gave me a return date of 27/07/09 (it said, your item will be ready for collection on 27/07/09. If there is a delay, then we will contact you).

- So yesterday I go to collect my laptop and was greeted with the response, 'Have we called you to say it's ready' to which I replied, 'Nope, but it says that you would call me if there was a delay'

- Needless to say, the laptop had not been returned and as it was past 5pm, then they couldn't get through to the Service Team to see what was going on

- They promised to call me back today and finallyt at 3:45pm they did

- They had decided to write off the laptop and would provide me with a replacement

- Just got back from Comet with a brand spanking new Sony laptop with a slightly higher spec than my old one. The list price for the new one was 750, so they have put 150 on a gift card for me. They are also sending me my old HDD out of the written off laptop at a cost of 10.

So, good service or bad? Some might say that under the SoG Act, they only did what they were supposed to do, but I don't think I was entitled to the 150, just a laptop of the same spec.

With the exception of not calling me to let me know their decsion to write it off, I can't fault their service at all.

They will get my custom again (well I do have 150 to spend there!!!!!).

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Comet - Good service or bad service

Dam good service imo

I did an online survey and said thank you last time I bought something from them. And they then wrote to say thank you for my comments.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

psu300 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That's what you call real service.

Pity that all retailers don't take a leaf out of Comets book.

Nice result

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I would also agree that it is good service, very good in fact.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, it certainly was.

- I never got mad, aggressive, demanding
      - I just explained how I felt and what I understood my rights were
      - Comet did the rest

I would have been happy for a replacement laptop for a similar spec (and probably would have accepted a refurb), but to get a brand new one totally of my choice and to get the difference on a gift card was fantastic. Also to be able to retain my old 300Gb HDD for only 10 was also a bargain.

Just goes to show, sometimes they dont deserve the bad press that the big boys sometimes get.

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

this is not the comet customer service i know.
      They normally keep you waiting on the phone or run a mile if you try to approach any staff member with a customer complaint, and when you do finally pin one to the wall the start with all the patronizing slaver and complete drivel.
      you must have caught them on a good day....

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just clearly stated my position and rights to Head Office to which they replied via email. Once I had that, the local comet had no avenue but to deal with it appropriately.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Great Result all down to the way you treat other people
      Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post

I never got mad, aggressive, demanding
      I just explained how I felt and what I understood my rights were
      Comet did the rest

I would have been happy for a replacement laptop for a similar spec (and probably would have accepted a refurb), but to get a brand new one totally of my choice and to get the difference on a gift card was fantastic. Also to be able to retain my old 300Gb HDD for only 10 was also a bargain.

Just goes to show, sometimes they dont deserve the bad press that the big boys sometimes get.

rebel meets rebel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well I had a very bad service from Comet.
      I bought my new HP laptop from Comet in January.February it broke down, A message saying I wasnt running a genuine copy of windows.Looked underneath my laptop for the key and it was right.Took it back to Comet for a new one as it was exactly 32 days old,they would not give me a new one.I stated the sale of goods act etc etc.They were not interested.It was sent to Poland to be fixed.They just re installed vista.I opened it up and there was a different keyboard.It was buckled and some of the keys were stuck and were priniting like this cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.
      Went back to Comet fuming.It was sent away again. It came back a week later with no sound coming from the speakers.By this time I had printed off the sale of goods act and took my Laptop back again put it on the counter along with the Sale of good acts.I started reading it out to the manager and he took it off me ripped it up saying it was nonsense. I was shocked. I was asked to leave saying I was a nuisance. I had to go to another Comet store.It was sent away again and this time it was fixed.
      I wrote a letter (Not emailed) to Comet head office in June and had no reply whatsoever.After my little escapade I am never ever going back to Comet again.
      This has been the worst customer experience in my life. The staff are all over you like a rash when you are looking to buy.When they see you come back with faulty goods they scarper.Bad bad Company!!