Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky slams 50p "tax" - Hypocrites!

This is a discussion on Sky slams 50p "tax" - Hypocrites! within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Digital TV - News - Sky slams the "telephone licence fee" - Digital Spy Bit of a pi$$ take - ...

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Sky slams 50p "tax" - Hypocrites!

Digital TV - News - Sky slams the "telephone licence fee" - Digital Spy

Bit of a pi$$ take - considering they are raising the line rental on 01/09 - AFTER pulling in prob hundreds of thousands of new customers, and tying them into 12 month contracts....

Sky has criticised the 50p monthly landline levy proposed in the recent Digital Britain report to fund future broadband investment.

A spokesperson for the satellite broadcaster described the charge as a "telephone licence fee" and the "last thing" that the UK needs right now.

Mike
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 23-06-09 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Some text removed for copyright reasons.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky slams 50p "tax" - Hypocrites!

I agree with Sky. It's a tax from which I can never receive any benefit. The cost of line rental is a different issue, I can always change to BT but I have no option but to pay yet another tax.

When we chose to live in a rural community for 25 years we accepted everything cost more and services were poorer. I would have expected to meet the extra cost of things like broadband myself, so why should I now have to subsidise these people? Why not chose the exchanges that need extra investment and charge those users an extra 50/year to fund their needs. That's fairer.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree with Sky.

They have spent 1,000,000's setting up their networks without everyone even those who will see no rewards paying extra tax, why should the people who will never use it pay towards it? and why should the network be subsidised by the taxpayer, you can bet your life we will see not reduction in cost to cover this.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree with Sky too. Why should people who don't have the internet and don't want it subsidise a bunch of illegal file sharers ? In any case, the money raised by this tax won't even begin to pay for the investment needed. At a time when so many businesses are going under, the last thing we need is another New Labour stealth tax - unless GSMGuy will enjoy being made redundant ?